The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

university accommodation

Hello :smile: I am gonna be a postgraduate student at the University of Essex and I am wondering which type of accommodation is better in the uni.. I have read various comments about the Towers.. They are pretty cheap but isnt 13 people too many to share? especially when there be a lot of studying.. but the quays and meadows aare quite further and double price so im in a quandary.. anyone who can enlighten me ? thanks a lot xxx
Reply 1
Original post by marel.pd
Hello :smile: I am gonna be a postgraduate student at the University of Essex and I am wondering which type of accommodation is better in the uni.. I have read various comments about the Towers.. They are pretty cheap but isnt 13 people too many to share? especially when there be a lot of studying.. but the quays and meadows aare quite further and double price so im in a quandary.. anyone who can enlighten me ? thanks a lot xxx

My daughter currently lives in South Towers. She has absolutely no regrets at having chosen this accommodation because it is so sociable and helped her make friends very easily. There are few problems with bathrooms/toilets and the number of people sharing because most people have different timetables.

However, she says that when it comes to studying it is definitely very difficult to concentrate and she only studies in the flat if it is something very undemanding. For stuff she really needs to concentrate on she likes to go to the student centre which is only a couple of minutes' walk across campus.

One thing you might want to bear in mind, in case it's a deal breaker for you, is that the majority of students in Towers will be undergraduates, with ages ranging generally from 18 to about 21, so as a postgrad you would very possibly be the oldest one in the flat.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by FionaMG
My daughter currently lives in South Towers. She has absolutely no regrets at having chosen this accommodation because it is so sociable and helped her make friends very easily. There are few problems with bathrooms/toilets and the number of people sharing because most people have different timetables.

However, she says that when it comes to studying it is definitely very difficult to concentrate and she only studies in the flat if it is something very undemanding. For stuff she really needs to concentrate on she likes to go to the student centre which is only a couple of minutes' walk across campus.

One thing you might want to bear in mind, in case it's a deal breaker for you, is that the majority of students in Towers will be undergraduates, with ages ranging generally from 18 to about 21, so as a postgrad you would very possibly be the oldest one in the flat.

Thanks a lot for the information.

We can only choose the North Towers as postgrads and i am under the impression that we live specifically with postgrads. Thats what I have been told anyway but this must be the case. But still I would like to know if someone lives there and especially for postgrads if its easy studying etc.
Thanks a lot for the information.

We can only choose the North Towers as postgrads and i am under the impression that we live specifically with postgrads. Thats what I have been told anyway but this must be the case. But still I would like to know if someone lives there and especially for postgrads if its easy studying etc.

Hi, I'm currently an undergraduate living in a postgraduate flat on campus - however I live in the Meadows accommodation and I'm sure postgraduates can also live in Wolfston court too.

Generally I have found my flat quiet almost all of the time, so it's very easy to study in the flat (as most of my housemates do).

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by shannon.rose
Hi, I'm currently an undergraduate living in a postgraduate flat on campus - however I live in the Meadows accommodation and I'm sure postgraduates can also live in Wolfston court too.

Generally I have found my flat quiet almost all of the time, so it's very easy to study in the flat (as most of my housemates do).

Hope that helps :smile:

hey thanks for the responce! i meant we can only choose North towers out of the towers, excluding the south ones. Wolfston court wasnt on the available choices for postgrads accommodation i think.. Im considering the quays to be honest but North towers is half price thats why im in a dilemma.. trying to find out if postgrad life at the towers is fine, quiet and all..
Reply 5
hey thanks for the responce! i meant we can only choose North towers out of the towers, excluding the south ones. Wolfston court wasnt on the available choices for postgrads accommodation i think.. Im considering the quays to be honest but North towers is half price thats why im in a dilemma.. trying to find out if postgrad life at the towers is fine, quiet and all..

Hey! I'm also an undergraduate student at Essex and I live off-campus at the moment so cant really speak for experience of living in the towers as a Post-graduate! I can however say that even if you do find the towers a little too noisy at times then there are plenty of study spaces on campus that most people use to do work! We have a huge library with tonnes of study places including a reading room with more study space, there are multiple computer labs across campus and we have just had a brand new student center opened, which has two floors worth of study space so I really wouldn't let the issue of not being able to study in your flat deter you from choosing towers! It's an amazingly sociable place to live in and as you said nice and cheap!

Also, have you joined the Facebook freshers page for next year 2016/17? There are tonnes of students in this group so I'm sure you will find a postgraduate who has lived in North Towers if you post on there who will be more than willing to answer any questions you have! :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Freshers2016/

Jess
Reply 6
Original post by Jess194
Hey! I'm also an undergraduate student at Essex and I live off-campus at the moment so cant really speak for experience of living in the towers as a Post-graduate! I can however say that even if you do find the towers a little too noisy at times then there are plenty of study spaces on campus that most people use to do work! We have a huge library with tonnes of study places including a reading room with more study space, there are multiple computer labs across campus and we have just had a brand new student center opened, which has two floors worth of study space so I really wouldn't let the issue of not being able to study in your flat deter you from choosing towers! It's an amazingly sociable place to live in and as you said nice and cheap!

Also, have you joined the Facebook freshers page for next year 2016/17? There are tonnes of students in this group so I'm sure you will find a postgraduate who has lived in North Towers if you post on there who will be more than willing to answer any questions you have! :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Freshers2016/

Jess

hey thanks loads for the responce!! ive joined the group yeah, posted as well but no one texted back :/ I guess ure right im just not used to studying in libraries and stuff and i guess the whole studying thing will be even more hard cause im a non- native but i probably will get used to it as well.. to be honest towers were not one of my choices, i dont mind about the bathrooms and all, i adapt easily but they looked old and all.. there arent a lot of pictures or videos available to check as well.. price is what motivated me as i wont have any bursary or loan :/ so frustrateeed!
hey thanks loads for the responce!! ive joined the group yeah, posted as well but no one texted back :/ I guess ure right im just not used to studying in libraries and stuff and i guess the whole studying thing will be even more hard cause im a non- native but i probably will get used to it as well.. to be honest towers were not one of my choices, i dont mind about the bathrooms and all, i adapt easily but they looked old and all.. there arent a lot of pictures or videos available to check as well.. price is what motivated me as i wont have any bursary or loan :/ so frustrateeed!

Heya were you able to find something? Ill be a Postgrad as well and I would prefer to live with other Postgrads!
Reply 8
Original post by jakemittle
Heya were you able to find something? Ill be a Postgrad as well and I would prefer to live with other Postgrads!

Yes, ill finally stay at the Meadows as it seemed to be the safest choice. At the application u can state if u want to stay only with postgrads so wherever u choose to go, this wont be a problem xx
Yes, ill finally stay at the Meadows as it seemed to be the safest choice. At the application u can state if u want to stay only with postgrads so wherever u choose to go, this wont be a problem xx

Ah cool!

Will you be in the ensuite or non ensuite?
Its too expensive for me but nice one!
btw apart from the fresher´s page, is there any other page or website that deals with accommodtion?
Reply 11
Original post by jakemittle
btw apart from the fresher´s page, is there any other page or website that deals with accommodtion?

as far as i know no..prob there will be more apartment offers though the next weeks at the freshers page!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending