The Student Room Group

CFE Higher English 2016 Exam leaked

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
prsom???

I was genuinely about to say that!!! I will be second in line now to sign the petition if there is one.

Goddamit I would forward to everybody I know sitting English and get it to spread
Reply 21
ohhhh hahaha

awwwww shtap it, you gonna make me blush boi :colondollar:
s**t now I have to learn two poems when I could have just done one :angry:
Reply 23
Original post by mysqa
Hi, just dropping in to calm a few nerves. The changes really won't affect how you do in the exam. Here's the latest information - the exam will be going ahead as scheduled on Thursday

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/76648.html

What on Earth do you guys mean by you "identified a potential issue"?

You mean as in it was worded wrong? You mean someone stole a paper?????
Original post by mysqa
Hi, just dropping in to calm a few nerves. The changes really won't affect how you do in the exam. Here's the latest information - the exam will be going ahead as scheduled on Thursday

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/76648.html

Hi, I was just reading the statement provided by the SQA with regards to the change of the Higher English paper. I understand that all content within final exams go through "rigorous quality checks" however, can candidates really trust this? It wasn't even one year ago that the SQA set a higher mathematics exam well above higher level.
The SQA should aim to make exam time as pleasant as possible, not put stress on candidates.
Please take note that a comment on an online forum does not calm any nerves.
Reply 25
Original post by SophiMai
Hi, I was just reading the statement provided by the SQA with regards to the change of the Higher English paper. I understand that all content within final exams go through "rigorous quality checks" however, can candidates really trust this? It wasn't even one year ago that the SQA set a higher mathematics exam well above higher level.
The SQA should aim to make exam time as pleasant as possible, not put stress on candidates.
Please take note that a comment on an online forum does not calm any nerves.

!!!!!!
im confused did everyone else have predictions and only study certain things? This is the first I've heard of predicting what would be in the exam and only studying some essay questions, so far I have been trying to learn everything
Reply 27
Original post by Alexandra1899
im confused did everyone else have predictions and only study certain things? This is the first I've heard of predicting what would be in the exam and only studying some essay questions, so far I have been trying to learn everything

Of course everyone learns everything but the majority of candidates make a rough prediction and slight guess as to what may come up to further their chance of the highest possible mark.

Me for example, I have to learn 4 texts this year and others only learning 2. So instead of learning all 4 thoroughly I learn them all briefly and focus more on the ones I assume will appear in the exam, to hopefully further my chance of getting an A!
Original post by Jeff548
Aahahahahaha 2 types of people on this thread:

1) People trying to see if its harder or easier now

2) People trying to get the old paper lol

Im both actually lol
Original post by Treen98
It should be the same level and regardless of the difficulty you should still get the same overall grade

yeah I do agree with treen(tsr won't allow me to rate u!
plus even IF it is harder, all we could do is revise more :/
Original post by Junioh
yeah I do agree with treen(tsr won't allow me to rate u!
plus even IF it is harder, all we could do is revise more :/

Even if it is harder, it only works in our favour because people will make a petition like last year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
sooo how did everyone find the exam, it was pretty badly worded for me anyways
Yeah I agree it was quite badly worded.
I thought the exam went quite well actually. The close reading was slightly challenging, but I'm confident I passed. The poetry was alright too (I did Mrs Midas) and I think I got a reasonably high mark for it. Was extremely disappointed with the questions offered for drama though! Did the conflict one and made Romeo and Juliet fit it. My English teacher said there would be a divide for the Romeo and Juliet with those who would do really well and those who would do very poorly without much middle ground. Was really hoping for a sympathy/turning point question but never mind. We can only do our best with what we have!
From the exam, my guess is that the second paper had to be replaced... The first one was about 16 and 17 year olds voting and considering that the Scottish elections are today, it was a very relevant/appropriate topic and therefore I think it seemed like one that would have been used originally. What does anyone else think?
Reply 35
Original post by Labrador99
From the exam, my guess is that the second paper had to be replaced... The first one was about 16 and 17 year olds voting and considering that the Scottish elections are today, it was a very relevant/appropriate topic and therefore I think it seemed like one that would have been used originally. What does anyone else think?

yeah that looks like what happened. I wanted to die when i saw Mrs Midas and i didnt even have enough time to write a conclusion to my Othello essay :frown:
Original post by Ali.R99
yeah that looks like what happened. I wanted to die when i saw Mrs Midas and i didnt even have enough time to write a conclusion to my Othello essay :frown:
How did you feel about the RUAE?In the second paper, I did MacCaig for the first part and Memorial came up which I wasn't overly pleased about- it was ok...But I thought the prose fiction questions were really bad for my novel (Brighton Rock) and I don't think I did very well in the essay:frown:
Reply 37
The RUAE was terrible. In last year's paper I managed to get 28/30 because it was piss easy but this year... I think maybe 19 or 20. Damn the SQA
Did anyone do poetry? I chose the second question regarding a social theme and did Don Patersons' "Ferrymans Arm" and wrote about the underlying topic of an ordinary social experience *visiting a pub* and how we can reach a deeper understanding of death and how death is a social thing because we all experience it blah blah blah - but now I'm freaking thinking I've totally buggered that one up. Close reading and Scottish text was ok - hoping my other two essays bring my grade up too. :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
There is now a petition regarding this exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending