The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

When I saw we had to write a letter I was like :redface:

But in the end I had a spare 30 mins, so hopefully it went well :biggrin:
Original post by CaSama9
[Please be sure to suggest any other points]

Question One

What were her first impressions of the hotel and the staff?

. Al was generous as he waited in the airport for the guests to arrive
. The Gardners discussion was nice
. Al seemed to care about her neck pain
. Hotels dining room was good
. The landscape and artwork

What was her husbands attitude and behaviour like?

. Threw a tantrum at market at her
. Child like immature/irresponsible
. Pressured Al into putting him in group
. Rubble on top of the hill- rude

What were her plans

. To collect him from hospital
. To persuade him not to file a complaint
. To go to the airport by Friday to go home
?
?

And as heard from friends

. Spend remaining days writing notebook
. Spend remaining days with bees

Could we have wrote that the husband blatantly refused to go to the animal sanctuary (was very stubborn) and that another plan for the rest of the trip could be that they would continue with excursions if the husband was fit enough?
Reply 762
I think Q1 was quite nice, especially A1 andA2 so even though I messed upQ2 I think I should be set for a top grade.
Reply 763
I struggled at finding words and phrases for the first paragraph on Q2 but it was a good exam overall. I really liked Q1
I loved it! :smile: First exam done, so pressure is relieved.
I wanted to cry during the exam.
I wanted to get an a* but id be happy with a b now
Original post by CaSama9
[Please be sure to suggest any other points]

Question One

What were her first impressions of the hotel and the staff?

. Al was generous as he waited in the airport for the guests to arrive
. The Gardners discussion was nice
. Al seemed to care about her neck pain
. Hotels dining room was good
. The landscape and artwork

What was her husbands attitude and behaviour like?

. Threw a tantrum at market at her
. Child like immature/irresponsible
. Pressured Al into putting him in group
. Rubble on top of the hill- rude

What were her plans

. To collect him from hospital
. To persuade him not to file a complaint
. To go to the airport by Friday to go home
?
?

And as heard from friends

. Spend remaining days writing notebook
. Spend remaining days with bees

For the third bullet point I also had
- write more in her journal
- see if she can help or support the endangered bees in any way
- carry on with the week itinerary that Al planned
- explore the area more and the history of the place
- Leave a good review of the place to make up for her husbands behaviour
Don't really know how valid the majority of those are but that's also what I had
Reply 767
Original post by LunaTy
The writers effect question was so unfair it was like the description wasn't even great.

Overall I found it pretty easy though hoping for an A* but I'd settle with an A too

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didnt like the writers effect AT ALL
Original post by mint.skyscrapers
Ive failed and I'm so upset i didnt use many points my punctuation was pretty poor and my handwriting was terrible and i didnt do question two properly and i wrote too much for the summary

This paper was the hardest ive seen and done. THERE WERE TOO MANY INFERENCES. i started with question 3 which was my first time doing that the points were hard to find and the summary was just weird. Question 1 i only wrote about the first bullet point I didnt know how to word my thing and also I just got writers block. I knew the points but I couldnt write. WHY THE HELL WAS QUESTION 2 SO HARD. I couldnt find good phrases and also the paragraphs were so thim there wasnt a lot of choice
Original post by MariumKazmi
Yeah but i found that i couldn't find any words for either :/ Also don't you think the questions were worded a little odd.

I agree :mad: 2a just said "entry winner" or whatever (I don't even remember now) but I was there in the exam, screaming in my head "WHAT ABOUT THE FREAKING CONTEST WINNER??? WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO EXPLAIN THE EFFECT OF? YOU WANT ME TO EXPLAIN THE EFFECT OF THE ENTRY ON WHAT ?????????????? GIVE ME SOMETHING DEAR GODS" I don't know if it was just me panicking in the exam or the question was actually retarded. I was really hoping I could get 36 in this exam to get that A*. I hope the grade boundaries fall this year.
Did you use "bees" and "honeybees" interchangeably when describing how honeybees benefit humans in Question 3?
Can we just create a hashtag on twitter to get them to lower the grade boundaries :u:
Guys dont worry! All will go well. Worrying won't make a difference to your grade/life. Just take a deep breath because thats one paper down and theres many more to come! :smile:
Of course, thanks :smile:
Original post by mint.skyscrapers
I wanted to cry during the exam.
I wanted to get an a* but id be happy with a b now

The person next to me actually did cry :redface:
Can anyone please tell me if you lose marks if the summary is too short... I think i wrote just a bit over 100 words
What exam board is this for? :cookie: What's the exam code?
Flopppppped :/
Original post by LunaTy
The writers effect question was so unfair it was like the description wasn't even great.

Overall I found it pretty easy though hoping for an A* but I'd settle with an A too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here. I don't think I'll be getting that A* now but an A's still good and I'm not even doing English for A-level so I'm calm--just a little frustrated by the way question 2 was worded.
Reply 779
Original post by ellamoon_22
this paper was the hardest ive seen and done. There were too many inferences. I started with question 3 which was my first time doing that the points were hard to find and the summary was just weird. Question 1 i only wrote about the first bullet point i didnt know how to word my thing and also i just got writers block. I knew the points but i couldnt write. Why the hell was question 2 so hard. I couldnt find good phrases and also the paragraphs were so thim there wasnt a lot of choice

i died in question 2 omg there was legit nothing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending