The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WJGR
Hello, apparently you had to start in a specific way... i completely missed this!
How many marks would i lose?

You don't loose any marks for starting your own way, unless it is not in the format of a letter. They give you a starter, but it's your choice wheather you choose to start that way or not 😊
Original post by Leighanna_
I wrote exactly the same as you! Apart from the last point you made😊 So yeah, they are fine, I think!

Thanks a lot ☺️ That's really reassuring :smile:
Honestly, that was one of the harder papers I've done, especially question 2. While question 1 had scores of information to draw on, question 3 was somewhat vague and I'm pretty sure I merged points which should have been singular.
Am I the only one that didn't do any writing components for their coursework? I only did Speaking and Listening and so did the rest of my class.
Time management i struggled with tho
i thought it was so hard :frown: question 2 was awfullllll the paragraphs were so short there was barely any to choose from and i ended up rambling on and on :frown:
I did the ESL paper 0510,went well yepy~
Original post by AbigailMaxkay
They won't read it if you didn't put at the end of the question of the original lines (see additional pages) or something along those lines. Maybe they will if they're feeling nice though! :smile:

No don't worry you don't have to write that
You should be fine
Original post by 0lut0
Who used the extra space provided at the back cuz I used it I don't know if the examiner will see it though. And who else put a signature for Maria? Do you get credit for that?

I think you'll get credit for signing it off because it's you acknowledging the fact it's a letter - and the examiner will see the additional pages, they'll make sure to check everything
For the pain in my neck bit I wrote 'Little did he know the pain in my neck was my husband' would that be counted as a mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 930
Original post by Leighanna_
You don't loose any marks for starting your own way, unless it is not in the format of a letter. They give you a starter, but it's your choice wheather you choose to start that way or not 😊

Thank you very much...i did write in the format of a letter so should be ok?!
Reply 931
Original post by BrokenToe1
The quotes I used was the one about sandy roads and the one about the white washed walls and orange trees being laced by the sun for part a

For part b I used 'tatty trinkets' and the rainbow of produce and sourced ingredients.

OMG!!! I used them too except the ingredients one. Were gonna get A's!!
Original post by 0lut0
Who used the extra space provided at the back cuz I used it I don't know if the examiner will see it though. And who else put a signature for Maria? Do you get credit for that?

Don't worry they will 100% read it as long as you put the question number that you continued from! We had the chief examiner for the paper in at school and she said any additional papers and booklets are scanned in and the examiner isn't allowed to submit your mark without viewing them first
Original post by mint.skyscrapers
I just hope the examiner is drunk whilst marking my paper

Lol same or that the examiner is so tired of marking the same ******** q. 2 that he starts giving everyone high marks out of 10..... or that could go thw other way and he could be like **** this I hate this question imma fail everyone and give them 0's in q. 2.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, i did the exam IGCSE language exteneded paper 2.. i thought it was good execept when i came out and everyone told me it was Mrs Salmon who started the alarm! i wrote that it was a student and that she felt sorry.. am i the only one who did this..???
What are the grade boundaries for a B grade pls anyneeee ive approximated my marks to 88 nothing is sure atm cause i dont even know my coursework grade but yhh what is 88-90 in term of a final grade
Original post by senpyi
Do you know how many marks you needed to get a B? That's all I'm aiming for now, seeing as I signed off as myself in the exam😥

Well, grade boundaries change all the time. For us it was 84 for a B which was slightly lower than previous s years ( I think 2014 was like 106 for an A* - sure, it's not a big difference, but still)

For you, you would only need 15 to get an B. However, your exam might have been harder or equally easier. Hopefully you'll be fine :smile:

Only 3 people got A*s in our school so I presume they are really strict with marking - I was 4 marks of an A* :'(
Original post by nyula
looks good although it was said iirc that they were going to pick him up from the hospital, it was only some light bruising, so there's no need to visit, rest of your points look good mate

Phew :smile: Thanks for the advice that made me a lot less anxious :smile:
Original post by BrokenToe1
The quotes I used was the one about sandy roads and the one about the white washed walls and orange trees being laced by the sun for part a

For part b I used 'tatty trinkets' and the rainbow of produce and sourced ingredients.

What did you write about these quotes? Because I used them as well but I don't think I explained them properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me yesterday: Alright, we got this. definitely going to get an A or A* if I'm lucky! :u:
Now: F*** this. I hope i get a B. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending