The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DontSweatIt
Can we have a separate thread for people who want to spam: "What's the grade boundary" and "How do I work out my mark".

For "tatty trinkets", did anyone say anything like: repetition of the "t" sounds sharp/harsh on the tongue and thus reflects Mr Head's attitude and personality on the holiday. (utter s*** but possibility for marks?)

Absolutely fine, that technique is generally called plosive sounds and is used to craft bitterness in tone
Everyone in my school wrote 4 pages for question 1 and 3 pages for question 2 (seems stupid)
I only wrote 2 pages for each and I'm sure I developed well, think I can get 16< for question 1
Original post by byaakun
nope you don't get penalised at all for going over the word count in questions 1-2. it only matters on q3 - the summary.

Thank you i was so worried as it said 250-350 for question 1 and 2 and i wrote like an extra 150 for each and used all the additional pages but thank you that has rested my mind a bit now i know i wont lose any marks for that.
Original post by Year11Struggles
Everyone in my school wrote 4 pages for question 1 and 3 pages for question 2 (seems stupid)
I only wrote 2 pages for each and I'm sure I developed well, think I can get 16< for question 1

As long as you tried ?
Heck you might even do better then them.
Reply 1024
I signed my own name at the end of the paper, does anyone know how many marks they'll take off for that? Also does anyone know the grade boundaries for an A* last year?
Original post by senpyi
I did the same as you, you're not the only one, don't worry about it. I asked a few of my English teachers about it and they said the most they would knock off was about 3 marks as long as you wrote it in the correct format and had the content.
Okay thanks for the reassurance! Good luck with the rest of you exams :smile:
What do you think will be an A*? 34,35,36 or 37?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jxb_
Guys im still confused about what passage A was about? What did Al understand at the end? I just don't get it

Basically you know the entry for why they think they should get a free stay, the one that won was signed M. R. Head which means Maria Rose Head but Al thought it was "Mr Head" and thought throughout that he entered to get the free holiday, so when she signed off at the end he understood that it wasn't a grammatical error

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Redcoats
Absolutely fine, that technique is generally called plosive sounds and is used to craft bitterness in tone

Putting it that way definitely sounds more legitimate, ty for confirmation.
Original post by Ashton1102
As long as you tried ?
Heck you might even do better then them.

I honestly think I did
3 pages for question 2 means they must have wrote some garbage
4 pages for question 1 just smells like drifting to me

How much did you write though?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucybh
I signed my own name at the end of the paper, does anyone know how many marks they'll take off for that? Also does anyone know the grade boundaries for an A* last year?

Think it was 69% for A* last year but not 100%, 2014 was like 71%

Posted from TSR Mobile
well what is the general grade boundary for the exam i got 33/60 in one of my mocks and 36/60 on another and got an A in English language but thats also including coursework when added overall.
I reckon I got a Bee.
I go to a private school and know kids at other private schools, and all of us hated it, I am sure the grade boundaries ill not be high after that ********ness! I'm sure you all did fine :smile: don't worry, it's over now and you never have to do it again, yipeeeeeeeeeee
For each of the bullet points what were the points that we had to develop in order to get the marks?
I'm hoping for 46+
Original post by annagrace16
can anyone remember exactly what the questions were for 2a and 2b? I just analysed stuff from the given paragraphs but I stupidly didn't look to see if they were asking us to analyse specific things about the paragraphs, like for example people keep saying 2a was asking something about the effect on Al? Ahh I'm dying here does anyone know

Something like:
2.a) the description of the narrative
2.b) the description by Al and Mr Head of the market

Posted from TSR Mobile
omg! how was the paper?!?!?
In my perspective, even if you did bad on paper 2 (extend)
you can always do really good on paper 3! think about it
paper 2 is out /50
paper 3 is out /50
+ speaking and listening marks
= final grade.

so for example, say i got 17 on paper 2, but got 50 on paper 3 in total = 67
however, add coursework marks from speaking and listening i.e +25 (/30)
= 92 (you can still get a high grade)

p.s all i did for my coursework was literally my speaking and listening (and the rest of my class) - so this is a prediction based on my situation. idek why our class didn't do any writing components lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JasmineMartin99
I ended question 1 as "speak soon from (my name)" instead of Maria - however in the whole letter I showed that i knew I was Maria but I stupidly forgot when signing off, do you think I will get marks deducted?

Same :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest