The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

time and a place for everything, and swearing constantly just ruins its meaning
Original post by Itsyaboy
I don't understand anyone's issue with swearing

Or TSR's for that matter
I'm very articulate and I use heavy slang, I swear a lot and I use text shortenings
I

Me niether, i don't see what's wrong with the occasional ****ing swear...
I think we're all desensitised but, I for one, would never swear near my boss. So it's still taboo and it's still most definitely rude.
Lol at this bein in the philosophy section but yea I agree ppl need to be less virgin eared about every ****ing thing, it's just swearing
I hate that ppl confuse conservatism with morality. Or don't swear just to be socially responsible or politically correct. It's like say wtf you want
But I get websites trying to cater to everyones sensitivities, but I do prefer places with little to no censoring because I'm grown n dont feel like being chastised for using "mean" words or bein looked down on from some rand
Well swearing doesn't make you look classy or intelligent. Try attending a school where it isn't abnormal to hear fu*k, sh*t, nigg* (not a curse word but it isn't great either), and other inappropriate words EVERYDAY in the hallways, the classrooms, the bathrooms, just bout anywhere where student's are. I don't mind if its a slip of the tongue or expressing frustration but people are capable of making sentences without using curse words as a verb, adjective, and subject.

Swearing makes you look rachet/ghetto. It makes you look "cheap". At least that is what the ghetto kids do at my school. They use curse words for everything and no respect for anyone' ears. I don't like hearing curse words, especially by loud ghetto girls on my school bus. You think a group of girls using that language is cute? Its unbearable. I don't deny I don't curse (in my mind) but at least I keep my mouth clean in public, and substitute those words with crap or darn, and to myself when I speak aloud. I find it difficult to curse in written text, or spoken.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SmileyVibe
Well swearing doesn't make you look classy or intelligent. Try attending a school where it isn't abnormal to hear fu*k, sh*t, nigg* (not a curse word but it isn't great either), and other inappropriate words EVERYDAY in the hallways, the classrooms, the bathrooms, just bout anywhere where student's are. I don't mind if its a slip of the tongue or expressing frustration but people are capable of making sentences without using curse words as a verb, adjective, and subject.

Swearing makes you look rachet/ghetto. It makes you look "cheap". At least that is what the ghetto kids do at my school. They use curse words for everything and no respect for anyone' ears. I don't like hearing curse words, especially by loud ghetto girls on my school bus. You think a group of girls using that language is cute? Its unbearable. I don't deny I don't curse (in my mind) but at least I keep my mouth clean in public, and substitute those words with crap or darn, and to myself when I speak aloud. I find it difficult to curse in written text, or spoken.

I don't know about school but I legit know about three adults who don't swear at all. It's pretty standard. Obviously, swearing constantly is different.
I'm totally desensitised to pretty much all swear words so I don't find it bad at all. As such the "it loses its meaning" argument does nothing for me because to me it doesn't really have any to begin with.

I have a bigger problem with the word "scum" than I do with any kind of swear word.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I'm totally desensitised to pretty much all swear words so I don't find it bad at all. As such the "it loses its meaning" argument does nothing for me because to me it doesn't really have any to begin with.

I have a bigger problem with the word "scum" than I do with any kind of swear word.

scum
Original post by NewcastleFresher
scum

Not just the word being shouted willy nilly you ****ing pickled onion, it's when people call other people scum and genuinely mean it that sort of irks me for some reason I haven't bothered to try and fully comprehend yet.
Not just the word being shouted willy nilly you ****ing pickled onion, it's when people call other people scum and genuinely mean it that sort of irks me for some reason I haven't bothered to try and fully comprehend yet.

I got that :rofl:

Lmao don't read the Guardian every comments section is "Tory scum"
It's just a matter of knowing the proper time and place. I swear freely among friends, but not otherwise...
If I don't swear, how am I supposed to tell people you what me and your mum did last night?
Original post by King Scorchy
If I don't swear, how am I supposed to tell people you what me and your mum did last night?

You procreated
You flim-flammed her zim-zam
You had her steak bake
You conjoined your giblets
You found out about some interesting ways to use an avocado for entertainment
You procreated
You flim-flammed her zim-zam
You had her steak bake
You conjoined your giblets
You found out about some interesting ways to use an avocado for entertainment

Funny.
Reply 15
No ****.
People who swear are just very uncomfortable to be around.
Original post by Itsyaboy
I don't understand anyone's issue with swearing

Or TSR's for that matter
I'm very articulate and I use heavy slang, I swear a lot and I use text shortenings
I

Apparently you cannot swear on TSR as it is 'XXXX'ed out. Saying this I had a post refused for using the perfectly acceptable English word "bastard", for swearing. Makes you wonder if the Mods are literate.
Original post by dozyrosie
Apparently you cannot swear on TSR as it is 'XXXX'ed out. Saying this I had a post refused for using the perfectly acceptable English word "bastard", for swearing. Makes you wonder if the Mods are literate.

'bastard' is considered a swear word by most people i would think
Original post by Implication
'bastard' is considered a swear word by most people i would think

It is not a swear word though, it is quite acceptable in scrabble. If TSR mods consider it so then it should be XXXXed out.

Latest