The Student Room Group

Geography AS coasts.

Hi, got two quick questions please- Why does a longer fetch mean a wave is more likely to erode? Also why is deep water less likely to deposit sediment?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Farmerjj
Hi, got two quick questions please- Why does a longer fetch mean a wave is more likely to erode? Also why is deep water less likely to deposit sediment?
Thanks

A longer fetch is more likely to lead to the formation of destructive waves which have a stronger backwash which will then lead to a loss of sediment from a beach over time or the increased erosion of cliff faces. Sediment is less likely to be deposited in deeper water as the wave load (the amount of material it can carry) as well as the competence (the maximum particle size that can be carried) is increased. Deposition tends to happen in shallower waters as the wave's competence and load is decreased and this can be seen in the formation of bays as sediment is deposited in the shallow water.

I hope that is of help to you,
DBR247
Reply 2
Original post by DBR247
A longer fetch is more likely to lead to the formation of destructive waves which have a stronger backwash which will then lead to a loss of sediment from a beach over time or the increased erosion of cliff faces. Sediment is less likely to be deposited in deeper water as the wave load (the amount of material it can carry) as well as the competence (the maximum particle size that can be carried) is increased. Deposition tends to happen in shallower waters as the wave's competence and load is decreased and this can be seen in the formation of bays as sediment is deposited in the shallow water.

I hope that is of help to you,
DBR247

Hi man yeah that's great thank you, but just one thing, I don't get why a longer fetch gives a wave more energy. Cheers
Reply 3
Original post by Farmerjj
Hi man yeah that's great thank you, but just one thing, I don't get why a longer fetch gives a wave more energy. Cheers

A longer fetch gives a wave more energy as the wave has the opportunity to gain greater momentum, a shorter fetch doesn't allow a wave to build as much momentum leading to weaker constructive waves.

I hope that clarifies things for you,
DBR247
Reply 4
Original post by DBR247
A longer fetch gives a wave more energy as the wave has the opportunity to gain greater momentum, a shorter fetch doesn't allow a wave to build as much momentum leading to weaker constructive waves.

I hope that clarifies things for you,
DBR247

Thanks so much that's make sense now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending