The Student Room Group

Physics Refraction Question

Hi please could someone help me with this question, I am told to carry on the line XA and show it doesn't hit the eye, but I don't know where to draw my first normal. Here is the question
Capture.JPG
Thanks
Original post by HiThere8964
Hi please could someone help me with this question, I am told to carry on the line XA and show it doesn't hit the eye, but I don't know where to draw my first normal. Here is the question
Capture.JPG
Thanks

@The-Spartan
Capture.JPG
Thanks

Try drawing your first normal to the glass at the point where XA enters...
This diagram should help a little bit:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The-Spartan
Try drawing your first normal to the glass at the point where XA enters...
This diagram should help a little bit:

Spoiler

i can't see your picture....
Original post by thefatone
i can't see your picture....

Should be fixed now?
Strange. I could see it :confused:
Should be fixed now?
Strange. I could see it :confused:

i don't .-.

maybe it's just me
Original post by thefatone
i don't .-.

maybe it's just me

Try this link for his image:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=528011&d=1462295917
Thanks for the help Spartan and Fatone, but if you look at the diagram I posted, The incedent ray hits the glass at the corner, which is why I was having trouble with it. I can do the other shapes and sides for other refraction questions just this one I had trouble with the first normal. Thanks anyway!!
Thanks for the help Spartan and Fatone, but if you look at the diagram I posted, The incedent ray hits the glass at the corner, which is why I was having trouble with it. I can do the other shapes and sides for other refraction questions just this one I had trouble with the first normal. Thanks anyway!!

The first normal is always (at this level) perpendicular to the glass at the point the light enters :smile:
Basically in your example, the first normal can be thought to be the bottom the glass. Just draw in the angles and it works the same!
It's quite a nice question actually :yes:
No problem :biggrin:
The first normal is always (at this level) perpendicular to the glass at the point the light enters :smile:
Basically in your example, the first normal can be thought to be the bottom the glass. Just draw in the angles and it works the same!
It's quite a nice question actually :yes:
No problem :biggrin:

Thanks so much again my friend. My idea was to do what you are suggesting, but I wasn't sure what I was doing, but now I have your reassurance.
Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest