The Student Room Group

Are working mothers more deserving of respect?

I read this article last week about how children of working mothers are more likely to be successful than those of stay at home mothers(I'll try to find the link later). By no means am I judging stay at home mothers-I think all mothers who do their best to raise their children are deserving of respect. However I want to know whether you respect your mother more because of her ability to juggle both work and home life? And to females whose mother did not work, do you feel less motivated to hold a job and would rather become a full time housewife?

Scroll to see replies

Yes I respect them more. I admire that they are able to strike a balance between caring for their children and increasing the household income so their child has more opportunities.

My mother has always been a stay-at-home mum. Fair enough, if my dad had a high wage, they could've afforded one of the parents staying at home to look after the kids, but he didn't. He was, and still is, on a low income and my mother did barely anything to help our finances (I genuinely believe that I was brought up by the state rather than my parents)

While for my parents' situation, the blame could be pointed to cultural and religious norms (men are breadwinners and women carers) I hate the fact that my mother never just thought to stop complaining about our financial status and go out there and do something about it.

Even then, she tries to put it in my head that the only role for me is to be a housewife, but I'm not listening :smile:
Original post by Serine Soul
Yes I respect them more. I admire that they are able to strike a balance between caring for their children and increasing the household income so their child has more opportunities.

My mother has always been a stay-at-home mum. Fair enough, if my dad had a high wage, they could've afforded one of the parents staying at home to look after the kids, but he didn't. He was, and still is, on a low income and my mother did barely anything to help our finances (I genuinely believe that I was brought up by the state rather than my parents)

While for my parents' situation, the blame could be pointed to cultural and religious norms (men are breadwinners and women carers) I hate the fact that my mother never just thought to stop complaining about our financial status and go out there and do something about it.

Even then, she tries to put it in my head that the only role for me is to be a housewife, but I'm not listening :smile:

Thanks for your post,

Did your dad ever encourage your mum to work? Or how do you think he'd have reacted if she said she wanted to find a job
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Thanks for your post,

Did your dad ever encourage your mum to work? Or how do you think he'd have reacted if she said she wanted to find a job

Let's just say it was considered 'shameful' on the husband if the wife works. Things have changed now, thankfully
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I read this article last week about how children of working mothers are more likely to be successful than those of stay at home mothers(I'll try to find the link later). By no means am I judging stay at home mothers-I think all mothers who do their best to raise their children are deserving of respect. However I want to know whether you respect your mother more because of her ability to juggle both work and home life? And to females whose mother did not work, do you feel less motivated to hold a job and would rather become a full time housewife?

I respect stay at home mothers more, because they put raising their children over their career and the children will implicitly know this.
Reply 5
Original post by Foo.mp3
My health (mental and physical) was adversely affected by the fact I had a working mother. They have my respect in one sense, but balance is key

No, I think all mothers that take good care of their children should deserve equal respect.
Reply 6
Based on my family, this is true. My mother taught me to work for everything I want and now I've become independent. My cousins, on the other hand, don't really appreciate the true value of work. Dropped out of school, didn't even try for their GCSEs (which, let's be honest, are a piece of piss). Working mothers definitely deserve more credit.
Original post by tinyflame
I respect stay at home mothers more, because they put raising their children over their career and the children will implicitly know this.

As someone whose mother stayed at home, I disagree. I don't feel that my mum 'put her children over her career', I think she very happily stayed at home and let my dad pay for everything for years. I also think mothers who work are setting a better example to their children.
Yes, women that can strike that correct balance between children and work deserve my complete respect!
Reply 9
No the ones who give the best upbringing and care to their children are the ones who are the most deserving of respect.

You have no idea what sort of balance they're striking. They might be striking a wonderful balance, or they might be striking a thoroughly shitty balance and neglecting their kids.

If anything I think it's admirable to leave your career aside for the sake of your children -- if you can afford to do it.

edit: Of course, it could also be admirable to balance the responsibilities, in a particular situation.

It's too simplistic to say one or the other is deserving of more respect as a generality imho.
(edited 7 years ago)
every mother deserves to be respect... my mum doesn't do a job because its stressful for her to do one and also to look after us and especially my littler brother (2 years old :innocent)... :yep:
Not sure if working sacrifices time to care for the child.
Original post by infairverona
As someone whose mother stayed at home, I disagree. I don't feel that my mum 'put her children over her career', I think she very happily stayed at home and let my dad pay for everything for years. I also think mothers who work are setting a better example to their children.

This
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You have no idea what sort of balance they're striking. They might be striking a wonderful balance, or they might be striking a thoroughly shitty balance and neglecting their kids.

If anything I think it's admirable to leave your career aside for the sake of your children -- if you can afford to do it.

edit: Of course, it could also be admirable to balance the responsibilities, in a particular situation.

It's too simplistic to say one or the other is deserving of more respect as a generality imho.

I think the way we see things depends entirely on our experiences :yes:
Original post by infairverona

Of course not all mothers will put the same effort into raising their children.

There are the mothers who just let the TV babysit their children and then there are the ones who are building a healthy relationship with their children day after day.

What I'm trying to say is that "attachment parenting" has it that creating healthy bonds with your children will make them grow into emotionally healthy adults, which is very important.

Being a stay at home mom doesn't necessarily mean that the wife is a leech on the family, but I understand what you mean by pointing out mothers who don't want to contribute and that you don't want "laziness" to be set as an example.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Working mothers are scum. Anything that compromises the maternal/child bond and the maintenance of the home is an abomination. Centuries of biological adaptation have created the gender roles that we have; men are hard wired for the rough and tumble of the workplace and women for the softer maternal/domestic skills. Women strutting around offices is bad news for everyone, not least the women themselves. After graduation is the time when women depart from the professional scene and commence their reproductive duties, save for exceptional circumstances when the children are older but even then it is still the duty of the husband/ in-laws to ensure her physical wellbeing.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think the way we see things depends entirely on our experiences :yes:

I agree, if we take 'our experiences' to be an absolutely all-encompassing term. More realistically, we have the ability to exchange views with each other and consider positions that are outside are own. Thus, whilst I personally grew up with a mother who managed to do some work without depriving me of any attention, I can imagine that there may exist mothers whose focus on their careers causes their children detriment. Likewise, I can imagine mothers who cannot be bothered to work when their financial circumstances make it desirable that they should, and mothers who would love to pursue their careers but forgo that in order to care for their children.

If you consider all these possibilities, it becomes clear that, whilst it is true to say that some working mothers are particularly deserving of respect, it is not true to say that working mothers as a generality are more deserving of respect than on-working mothers.
Original post by TW3 Crew
Working mothers are scum. Anything that compromises the maternal/child bond and the maintenance of the home is an abomination. Centuries of biological adaptation have created the gender roles that we have; men are hard wired for the rough and tumble of the workplace and women for the softer maternal/domestic skills. Women strutting around offices is bad news for everyone, not least the women themselves. After graduation is the time when women depart from the professional scene and commence their reproductive duties, save for exceptional circumstances when the children are older but even then it is still the duty of the husband/ in-laws to ensure her physical wellbeing.

That wasn't necessary...
Not necessarily but I am impressed by those who manage to successfully juggle both a career and caring responsibilities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending