The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ellaramsay_
Lol q2 was atrocious. Glad it was worth only 10 marks.

Ironically, question 1 and 2 were probably my best
Original post by ibrahim11
For Q1's 3 bullet points I found that bullets 1 and 2 were also slightly inferred. Did anyone else experience that?

It was definitely all inferred, because you don't hear anything from Maria's point of view, you have to infer her thoughts about the hotel from how it tells you the staff treated her, you have to infer her thoughts on her husband because although it tells you what he does, once again it never mentions it from her POV and so you must infer her feelings. I think it's very unfair as usually you're only supposed to have to infer for bullet point 3
It's not like the previous ones where for example the passage describes a storm at sea and then one of the bullet points is 'describe what happened during the storm' in those ones it tells exactly what you need to know and you just put it in your own words but this was totally different
(edited 7 years ago)
Question 2

White washed walls
forgot
Rainbow .. . ...
Orange tree in the sunlight

b)
Tatty trinkets
Laden with rainbow
straggling
forgot.
Original post by Leighanna_
I didn't mention that much, all I mentioned was how she needed to look after her husband after been in hospital and how she will help get more business to Al's hotel by writing reviews and stuff🤔🤔🤔

For the last bullet point on Q3 I put that -
I am going to enjoy the rest of my holiday in the absence of my husband e.g. animal sanctuary, go on the trip that I missed etc
didnt sign off with any name after q1? do you think i will get marked down?
Original post by Redcoats
Ironically, question 1 and 2 were probably my best

Really? I found q3 possibly the best. I'm not sure. Simply because I didn't know some words they used in the paragraphs but couldn't find other phrases so had to use them. I don't know... Q2 for me just went rubish ahaha oh well!
Original post by mint.skyscrapers
I wanted to cry during the exam.
I wanted to get an a* but id be happy with a b now

I totally agree
Original post by dbrownbeast
didnt sign off with any name after q1? do you think i will get marked down?

i didn't do this either
I am going to enjoy the rest of my holiday in the absence of my husband e.g. animal sanctuary, go on the trip that I missed etc

Oh no yours sounds so good. All i wrote was ask more about bees from gardner and read another book and relax. Oh god now i think it did go really badly ahaha
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown
I called him Dave :P

I called him Dave too! ;P
someone just told me that i apparently if in question 1 and 2 go over 250-350 then i wont get marked at all but i've been told different by others saying i wont get penalised
Really? I found q3 possibly the best. I'm not sure. Simply because I didn't know some words they used in the paragraphs but couldn't find other phrases so had to use them. I don't know... Q2 for me just went rubish ahaha oh well!

3b was easy, it was 3a that was slightly challenging. Judging by the numerous unofficial mark schemes, I probably got 13/15
Original post by Redcoats
3b was easy, it was 3a that was slightly challenging. Judging by the numerous unofficial mark schemes, I probably got 13/15

Well I'm not aiming for 15 i find it almost impossible to get the full marks
Original post by LifeInEducation
someone just told me that i apparently if in question 1 and 2 go over 250-350 then i wont get marked at all but i've been told different by others saying i wont get penalised

Iv'e been told don't worry about word count on q1 and q2. It's q3 that you need to be in word count. I wouldn't worry thousands of people will have gone over/under.
Original post by JasmineMartin99
I ended question 1 as "speak soon from (my name)" instead of Maria - however in the whole letter I showed that i knew I was Maria but I stupidly forgot when signing off, do you think I will get marks deducted?

Omg I almost did that but I remembered at the last moment! I'm honestly not quite sure if they'll knock some marks off. Hopefully not!
Well I'm not aiming for 15 i find it almost impossible to get the full marks

I am sure you've done great, and I totally agree; it is very difficult to get 15/15 - I only ever managed it once in a mock. The examiners always find it necessary to throw us a few curve balls with what seems to be the simplest question on the paper!
Iv'e been told don't worry about word count on q1 and q2. It's q3 that you need to be in word count. I wouldn't worry thousands of people will have gone over/under.

i went over.. but it said "ABOUT" 200.... whereas 3 it said oyu must... in 1 and 2 it is just a guide

I think I misunderstood the whole story then. I said that i'm leaving the holiday to make my husband happy. I thought that they were laughing the airport or something and she wanted to avoid drama?
Original post by 0lut0
I think I misunderstood the whole story then. I said that i'm leaving the holiday to make my husband happy. I thought that they were laughing the airport or something and she wanted to avoid drama?

Nah, she hates her husband. Her husband is the 'pain in her neck' due to him being gone she can now go to all the other places previously mentioned.
Oh no yours sounds so good. All i wrote was ask more about bees from gardner and read another book and relax. Oh god now i think it did go really badly ahaha

You probably haven't . Don't worry :smile:

Quick Reply