iGCSE English Language [Unofficial Mark scheme]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Future plans: going to the sanctuary
Going rafting
Romantic journeys
Visiting classical architecture
Original post by CaSama9
[This is only a guideline on what most people put, please be free to add any other points]

Question One
-----------------------
Letter beginning with Dear friend...

What were her first impressions of the hotel and the staff?

Al was generous as he waited in the airport for the guests to arrive

The Gardners discussion was nice

Al seemed to care about her neck pain

Hotels dining room was good

The landscape and artwork

What was her husband's attitude and behaviour like? And what were her feelings towards it?

.Threw a tantrum at market at her

Child like immature/irresponsible

.Pressured Al into putting him in group

.Rubble on top of the hill- rude

Refused to go to the animal sanctuary

What were her plans for the remaining week?

To collect him from hospital

To persuade him not to file a complaint

To go to the airport by Friday to go home

Spend remaining days writing notebook

Spend remaining days with bees and seeing how she can help

.Explore the history and area of the place

Leave a good reputation after her husband, before she leaves

And a signed off letter with anything like 'Lots of Love'

Question Two
-------------------
Some examples:

a) . Sandy Roads
. Orange tree laced with sunlight
. forgot
. forgot

b) straggled ...
bits of cloth
tattered...
rainbow of produces

Question 3
----------------------------
Examples:
1. 30% of crops rely on bees like apples cherries
2. They use natural pollination
3. Without them could be global starvation
4. They help grow and produce healthy foods
5. The honey they produce is used in medicines
6. They can show us our environmental health
7. Help make costs for farmers steady/ under control?
8. CCD
9. Chemicals and pesticides which alter their behavior fatally
10. Lack of genetic pool- susceptible to diease
11.The blood-sucking mite
12. Lack of nutritious bee friendly flowers
13.Transportation of hives which causes stress
14.forgot
15. forgot

b) Summary
/5 if you wrote 200-250 words, used all the points and was concise.

Does leaving a review count for the last point?
Did anyone do the core paper?
Original post by CaSama9
[This is only a guideline on what most people put, please be free to add any other points]

Question One
-----------------------
Letter beginning with Dear friend...

What were her first impressions of the hotel and the staff?

Al was generous as he waited in the airport for the guests to arrive

The Gardners discussion was nice

Al seemed to care about her neck pain

Hotels dining room was good

The landscape and artwork

What was her husband's attitude and behaviour like? And what were her feelings towards it?

.Threw a tantrum at market at her

Child like immature/irresponsible

.Pressured Al into putting him in group

.Rubble on top of the hill- rude

Refused to go to the animal sanctuary

What were her plans for the remaining week?

To collect him from hospital

To persuade him not to file a complaint

To go to the airport by Friday to go home

Spend remaining days writing notebook

Spend remaining days with bees and seeing how she can help

.Explore the history and area of the place

Leave a good reputation after her husband, before she leaves

And a signed off letter with anything like 'Lots of Love'

Question Two
-------------------
Some examples:

a) . Sandy Roads
. Orange tree laced with sunlight
. forgot
. forgot

b) straggled ...
bits of cloth
tattered...
rainbow of produces

Question 3
----------------------------
Examples:
1. 30% of crops rely on bees like apples cherries
2. They use natural pollination
3. Without them could be global starvation
4. They help grow and produce healthy foods
5. The honey they produce is used in medicines
6. They can show us our environmental health
7. Help make costs for farmers steady/ under control?
8. CCD
9. Chemicals and pesticides which alter their behavior fatally
10. Lack of genetic pool- susceptible to diease
11.The blood-sucking mite
12. Lack of nutritious bee friendly flowers
13.Transportation of hives which causes stress
14.forgot
15. forgot

b) Summary
/5 if you wrote 200-250 words, used all the points and was concise.

Got 10 out of the 13 points you made - shoot me
I am ridiculously worried, i went over every single word limit and the quality of my work was awful. I'm predicted an A* and I think I'll just about get a C. My chances of an A* overall are lower than the current bee population!
Thanks so much :smile: This has made me feel so at ease!
Reply 26
You're welcome :smile:
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Thank you so much for this.
Reply 27
Yeah! It was the toughest exam I've ever seen for language, I hope the grade boundaries get lowered because of how difficult it was.

Original post by failure543
I am ridiculously worried, i went over every single word limit and the quality of my work was awful. I'm predicted an A* and I think I'll just about get a C. My chances of an A* overall are lower than the current bee population!
Original post by failure543

The word limits are just a guide, and my teacher informed us that marks shan't be deducted if one is over. It only really counts on the summary question but that is only 5 marks anyway. The 2015 grade boundary for this exam was 29/50 for an A (can't get an A* on this paper)!
Reply 29
No problem :smile:
Original post by HouseOfRichman
Thanks so much :smile: This has made me feel so at ease!
For bullet point 1) I wrote about Al at the airport, scenery and architecture, I also wrote about how he managed to get a coach straight away so guests could enjoy themselves on a trip to the water, Al taking care of Maria and offering her a pillow and mint tea.

For bullet point 2) I wrote about the 'complaining loudly' bit and said how it was an embarrassment, the rude comments to Al and how Al was taking it so nicely even though he was calling his plans boring etc, I wrote about how he was reluctant to go to the animal sanctuary spoiling the mood of the other guests and how he was behaving irresponsibly and like a child when he came back from town.

For bullet point 3) (my worst bullet point) I said how Maria (me) will teach my husband a lesson and will teach him how to listen to other peoples opinions and not to think he's superior than everyone, and how he shouldn't be reluctant to do some activities.

I saw no one got the same thing as me for some of my bullet points so I don't think I did that well? What do you think I got?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Which question?
Original post by Username3097486
Does leaving a review count for the last point?
Yes
Original post by Redcoats
The word limits are just a guide, and my teacher informed us that marks shan't be deducted if one is over. It only really counts on the summary question but that is only 5 marks anyway. The 2015 grade boundary for this exam was 29/50 for an A (can't get an A* on this paper)!

thank you so much for the reassurance ! just hope i can make it up for the next paper and Maria and her husband sort out their relationship. Hope you bag your A*!
Original post by CaSama9
Yeah! It was the toughest exam I've ever seen for language, I hope the grade boundaries get lowered because of how difficult it was.

I hope so! and the bees repopulate
Reply 35
That is pretty much everything that I put too, don't forget it was a pretty tough exam too! If lots of people are getting the general gist of question 1 then I suppose it's probably the right answer? The one about plans being boring during dinner was definitely one :wink: I'll put the down now. At a quick look at it id say we both probably got about 9-11 excluding spag, which isn't too bad.
Original post by DamnDaniel2
For bullet point 1) I wrote about Al at the airport, scenery and architecture, I also wrote about how he managed to get a coach straight away so guests could enjoy themselves on a trip to the water, Al taking care of Maria and offering her a pillow and mint tea.

For bullet point 2) I wrote about the 'complaining loudly' bit and said how it was an embarrassment, the rude comments to Al and how Al was taking it so nicely even though he was calling his plans boring etc, I wrote about how he was reluctant to go to the animal sanctuary spoiling the mood of the other guests and how he was behaving irresponsibly and like a child when he came back from town.

For bullet point 3) (my worst bullet point) I said how Maria (me) will teach my husband a lesson and will teach him how to listen to other peoples opinions and not to think he's superior than everyone, and how he shouldn't be reluctant to do some activities.

I saw no one got the same thing as me for some of my bullet points so I don't think I did that well? What do you think I got?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dbrownbeast
i forgot to sign it off? do you think i will get marked down for it? i swear everyone here is so sweaty straight A*s everywhere haha

I did the same thing😩 Apparently a harsh marker would remove up to two marks for that mistake
Reply 37
Did anyone talk about how honeybees were one of the oldest forms of animal life on earth and so they are a part of our history
Original post by DamnDaniel2

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't stress that's a great response, i'd say a 17/20 at least
Original post by Gdmn
Did anyone talk about how honeybees were one of the oldest forms of animal life on earth and so they are a part of our history

i did and that they were used in egyptian medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending