The Student Room Group

Treatment for dandruf

So I et dandruff regardless for how I was my hair

I've been using T-Gel and Lynx anti-dandruff 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for the past 2-3 years, and I only ever got it if didn't wash my hair for 3-5 days. Now I wash my hair every 2 days be it crops up after 1 day... I usually get it around the top right side of my face (obviously where the hair is) and it gets scaley... And I also get it behind my ears just at the bottom of the hair line, and again it feels crusty/scaley again... I also usually leave the shampoo in for 30 seconds

Should I pick/scrub it off? Should I leave the shampoo in for longer? How should I apply the shampoo to my hair and scalp more efficiently? Should I change shampoos? If so, what ones are good for dandruff? (No head and shoulders) Do I have to use anti-dandruff shampoos for the rest of my life or can I eventually use nicer smelling shampoos?

Any general advice and tips for washing and applying shampoo and things that's related to the title would be helpful!

FYI, I'm a male and have long hair (past my shoulders)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anon113

I've been using T-Gel and Lynx anti-dandruff 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for the past 2-3 years, and I only ever got it if didn't wash my hair for 3-5 days. Now I wash my hair every 2 days be it crops up after 1 day... I usually get it around the top right side of my face (obviously where the hair is) and it gets scaley... And I also get it behind my ears just at the bottom of the hair line, and again it feels crusty/scaley again... I also usually leave the shampoo in for 30 seconds

Should I pick/scrub it off? Should I leave the shampoo in for longer? How should I apply the shampoo to my hair and scalp more efficiently? Should I change shampoos? If so, what ones are good for dandruff? (No head and shoulders) Do I have to use anti-dandruff shampoos for the rest of my life or can I eventually use nicer smelling shampoos?

Any general advice and tips for washing and applying shampoo and things that's related to the title would be helpful!

Get* wash*
I suffered from dandruff and was really getting annoyed about it. Head and shoulders didn't work so I searched home remedies. This may sound weird but when you put shampoo in your hair put sugar on your head as well and scrub it into your scalp. The sugar will exfoliate your scalp. Rinse it off then condition your hair like usual. I did this yesterday and it got rid of all my dandruff!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Jodie_mort
I suffered from dandruff and was really getting annoyed about it. Head and shoulders didn't work so I searched home remedies. This may sound weird but when you put shampoo in your hair put sugar on your head as well and scrub it into your scalp. The sugar will exfoliate your scalp. Rinse it off then condition your hair like usual. I did this yesterday and it got rid of all my dandruff!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow! Haha, sounds... Interesting :P roughly how much did you use? (In terms of teaspoons/table spoons) and so should I scrub it everywhere or just the parts where it crops up? (Mentioned above) and how is your hair today? Let me know!
Original post by Anon113
Oh wow! Haha, sounds... Interesting :P roughly how much did you use? (In terms of teaspoons/table spoons) and so should I scrub it everywhere or just the parts where it crops up? (Mentioned above) and how is your hair today? Let me know!

You might as well rub it everywhere and I used two tablespoons probably (I didn't measure it haha) and I've got no dandruff whatsoever today !:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You might as well rub it everywhere and I used two tablespoons probably (I didn't measure it haha) and I've got no dandruff whatsoever today !:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, haha thank you! Could you let me know tomorrow too?:smile:
Original post by Anon113
Okay, haha thank you! Could you let me know tomorrow too?:smile:

Sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I use baking soda, baking soda helps remove dead skin cells and absorbs excess oil.It can also help balance pH levels on the scalp and reduce the growth of fungi that cause dandruff.

Wet your hair and rub a handful of baking soda onto your scalp.

After a couple of minutes, rinse your hair well with warm water.

Repeat once or twice a week for a few weeks.

Note: Do not shampoo your hair after this treatment.It helps a lot...hope it helps you too!
Reply 8
Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun
I use baking soda, baking soda helps remove dead skin cells and absorbs excess oil.It can also help balance pH levels on the scalp and reduce the growth of fungi that cause dandruff.

Wet your hair and rub a handful of baking soda onto your scalp.

After a couple of minutes, rinse your hair well with warm water.

Repeat once or twice a week for a few weeks.

Note: Do not shampoo your hair after this treatment.It helps a lot...hope it helps you too!

Thank you very much!:smile: How long should I leave it before I can wash my hair? Because I don't want to excessively blow dry my hair and I hate leaving my hair to dry naturally, I find it uncomfortable :P and after the few weeks, will it be permanent or do the same cycle until it crops up again? Lastly, once I finish the 3 week cycle, can I use normal shampoo or still use anti-dandruff while on the cycle and while off it?
Original post by Anon113
Thank you very much!:smile: How long should I leave it before I can wash my hair? Because I don't want to excessively blow dry my hair and I hate leaving my hair to dry naturally, I find it uncomfortable :P and after the few weeks, will it be permanent or do the same cycle until it crops up again? Lastly, once I finish the 3 week cycle, can I use normal shampoo or still use anti-dandruff while on the cycle and while off it?

You should just leave it on for a few minutes, and do use high heat settings on your blow drier, as your skin can start to feel very sore..I do once every week, and I use my shampoo before the treatment, the shampoo is anti-dandruff, but I do not recommend Head & Shoulders Anti-Dandruff at all, for me it makes it worse than it was before...but use the treatment once every week-so yeah permanently! I find that using it permanently means that it is less likely for it to crop up as the soda reduces the growth of the fungi that causes dandruff to grow..Good Luck!
Reply 10
Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun
You should just leave it on for a few minutes, and do use high heat settings on your blow drier, as your skin can start to feel very sore..I do once every week, and I use my shampoo before the treatment, the shampoo is anti-dandruff, but I do not recommend Head & Shoulders Anti-Dandruff at all, for me it makes it worse than it was before...but use the treatment once every week-so yeah permanently! I find that using it permanently means that it is less likely for it to crop up as the soda reduces the growth of the fungi that causes dandruff to grow..Good Luck!
t

I used to use it on high settings, but I've been using it in medium the past month now! And okay, awesome! Thank you very much! So if I use this treatment once a week, should I still use anti-dandruff shampoos? (I wash my hair 3x a week, so hypothetically, for one of these times I use anti dandruff shampoo and then do the treatment, and for the other 2 times that I wash my hair, would I be able to get away with using nicer smelling shampoo that does more for my roots and hair?) as I really don't want to be using ONLY anti dandruff shampoos for the rest of my life ;(
Original post by Anon113
t

I used to use it on high settings, but I've been using it in medium the past month now! And okay, awesome! Thank you very much! So if I use this treatment once a week, should I still use anti-dandruff shampoos? (I wash my hair 3x a week, so hypothetically, for one of these times I use anti dandruff shampoo and then do the treatment, and for the other 2 times that I wash my hair, would I be able to get away with using nicer smelling shampoo that does more for my roots and hair?) as I really don't want to be using ONLY anti dandruff shampoos for the rest of my life ;(

Yeh only use the anti-dandruff shampoo before the treatment and any other time you can use any other one, it doesn't really matter which one :smile:
Buy Nizoral Shampoo. It is literally a god-send.
Reply 13
Original post by ivybridge
Buy Nizoral Shampoo. It is literally a god-send.

Thank you! Is it better than T-gel? That's what I use atm
Original post by Anon113
Thank you! Is it better than T-gel? That's what I use atm

Yes in my opinion. It's so good and strong that it only needs three applicatioms a week for a month. It takes mine away the day I get it. Haven't used in for over three months now and haven't needed to!
Reply 15
Original post by ivybridge
Yes in my opinion. It's so good and strong that it only needs three applicatioms a week for a month. It takes mine away the day I get it. Haven't used in for over three months now and haven't needed to!

Oh wow... I will definitely be purchasing that then!! Thank you very much!!!:smile:
Original post by Anon113

use something natural with tea tree oil in it as that will sort the issue as most anti-dandruff shampoo's have been proved to have a negative impact as to keep selling you their product
it might be worth going to the doctors. I suffered quite severely with dandruff and used all sorts of shampoos until I started using T-gel which helped a lot. However after a few months, it started to come back even though I was still regularly washing my hair with T-Gel. I went to my GP and I have a scalp condition for which I have to use a steroid cream. At first I had to use it every day and now I use it only as and when it flares up, which only happens if I haven't stuck to my regular washing routine, which is every 3-4 days as my natural hair is very curly hair :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by abbymonty
it might be worth going to the doctors. I suffered quite severely with dandruff and used all sorts of shampoos until I started using T-gel which helped a lot. However after a few months, it started to come back even though I was still regularly washing my hair with T-Gel. I went to my GP and I have a scalp condition for which I have to use a steroid cream. At first I had to use it every day and now I use it only as and when it flares up, which only happens if I haven't stuck to my regular washing routine, which is every 3-4 days as my natural hair is very curly hair :smile:

Ah okay, ill try to the Nizoral shampoo and then go to the gp about it if I get no positive results, thanks for the help! Also, how do you apply the steroid cream??
Original post by Anon113
Ah okay, ill try to the Nizoral shampoo and then go to the gp about it if I get no positive results, thanks for the help! Also, how do you apply the steroid cream??

I haven't tried the Nizoral shampoo and I'm considering giving it a go too! Cream isn't quite what it is but it was the easiest way to explain it without going into proper detail lol! It's more just like a liquid and it comes in a bottle with a little nozzle on and you just tip it onto the effected areas then rub it into your scalp a bit. You don't have to wash your hair when you do it and it comes out just in drips! Doesn't sting apart from if I've scratched my head too much and damaged the skin a bit

Quick Reply

Latest