The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DamnDaniel2
For 15 bullet points I put these:
1) 30% thing
2) global starvation
3) loss of healthy foods
4) no need to pay farmers to find alternative less efficient ways of pollinating
5) 500 medicines thing
6) a bees health tells us a lot about the environments health
7) pesticides distort their behaviour fatally
8) local weather systems threaten them
9) change in weather threaten them
10) transporting beehives to diff countries cause them to stress out
11) Increase in bees in the city will lead to less nectar available for wild bees
12) immune system becoming less efficient
13) fungal infections/known bee viruses
I had two more but forgot what I wrote!

Do you think this is correct?

Also for the summary I developed some points such as medicines has used honey since the egyptian times so medicines would not be as advanced as it is now if we didn't have honey. I also wrote that loss of healthy foods will lead to a regress in health in the world.

Will this mark me down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The egyptian medicine idea should be fine because the examiners always try to throw curve balls at you and I'm quite sure that was one of them. If you developed the idea of health, I think the examiner would be ridiculously churlish so you're fine! Hope you get your A* and get what you want in the rest of your exams!
I don't think that's right because I need 48/50 for an A* but this method says I need 52/50 lol which isn't possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get for your coursework? If it says 52, maybe it's because, no offence, your coursework may be too low so with the exam added on, it may not be enough to push you to an a*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
By any chance, is anyone studying To Kill a Mockingbird and The Woman in Black for English Literature?
Reply 1143
I got a mid B and a high C. I need 48/50 according to June 2015 boundaries for an A* lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?? Surely that can't be right
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by I'm_infires
I'd love to help but I can't really without your other coursework marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 38/40 on 2 pieces and 47/50 on the last one as well as 30/30 on the S+L, how many marks do I need for an A or an A*? What's the working out you use? Thanks.
Reply 1145
Did anyone else interpret the second bullet point as: Thoughts and feelings towards husbands attitude and behaviour on the trip??
Guys,
In q1 for the 3rd bullet I mentioned the following:

-They would continue to undertake more excursions if the husband was fit enough
- They would just stay and relax in the hotel
-They would leave earlier than Friday in the case that the husband could no longer
do anything on the trip (because of his injury)

I then said that we were still undecided and that it all depends on my husband's injury.......

Is that fine? Pls respond someone, thanks
For the 15 points on question three I put 'a change in climate threatens the bees'

And

'Bizzare and random weather systems threaten the bees'

Do you think these would be considered as two separate points? Or are just repeating? I remember in the text it did say climate and random weather both threaten the bees so surely they are two points?
Original post by examhater44
Guys,
In q1 for the 3rd bullet I mentioned the following:

-They would continue to undertake more excursions if the husband was fit enough
- They would just stay and relax in the hotel
-They would leave earlier than Friday in the case that the husband could no longer
do anything on the trip (because of his injury)

I then said that we were still undecided and that it all depends on my husband's injury.......

Is that fine? Pls respond someone, thanks

I thought the husband remained in hospital until the day they would both leave evidently meaning that the wife would spend the rest of the days by herself? Because it stated that she needs to stop on Friday to pick him up from the hospital before the airport. Either that or I've just screwed this whole exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad4m
Did anyone else interpret the second bullet point as: Thoughts and feelings towards husbands attitude and behaviour on the trip??

Yeah, isn't that what it was saying? That's exactly how I interpreted it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Presumably if I covered all the AO1s. 1 AO2 & 1 A03 for question 1. What would I get out of 15
Reply 1151
Original post by Dr Carlsberg
Yeah, isn't that what it was saying? That's exactly how I interpreted it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely read it as:

Your thoughts and feelings about the attitudes and behaviour of your husband on the trip.

Not:

The attitudes and behaviour of your husband on the trip.

So I put things like angry, disappointed, awkward etc.

And then developed it by leaving the evidence form extract.
Original post by Jagraj16
I got 38/40 on 2 pieces and 47/50 on the last one as well as 30/30 on the S+L, how many marks do I need for an A or an A*? What's the working out you use? Thanks.

You need 39/50 on the exam if the grade boundaries for A* is 106/125 :smile: and 29 to get an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad4m
I definitely read it as:

Your thoughts and feelings about the attitudes and behaviour of your husband on the trip.

Not:

The attitudes and behaviour of your husband on the trip.

So I put things like angry, disappointed, awkward etc.

And then developed it by leaving the evidence form extract.

Yeah that's how I interpreted it and now I'm worried I did it wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1154

Posted from TSR Mobile

They've done things like this before. This is why i found this bullet point quite difficult but a lot of people have said it was easy... I'm sure the points about what he did are developments and details but not the actual points. Was just worried bc it said nothing about attitudes and feelings on the unofficial mark scheme.
I don't think that's right because I need 48/50 for an A* but this method says I need 52/50 lol which isn't possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I got 47/50 for coursework and 30/30 for speaking and listening do I only need 29 marks for an A*?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, even if we interpreted it that way, as long as it was developed, I can't see how the two interpretations wouldn't merge enough to give the marks. Should be fine because even saying angry/ashamed etc you develop from the text wit evidence such should get the marks anyway I'd say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1157
Original post by chloedobbs
So if I got 47/50 for coursework and 30/30 for speaking and listening do I only need 29 marks for an A*?!

You need 34/50

47+25=72
106-72 = 34
I think it's a risky thing to say what you'll need to get an A* or an A or whatever.

When I did it in November, I was predicted a sure fire A*- I had full marks in both Speaking and Listening and coursework.

And yet I came out with a B.

To be fair, everyone that didn't get A* in our school had to do a resit. That was 335 students.
Original post by chloedobbs

No, 33.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending