The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pritsk92
Hi everyone!

I know I'm repeating myself from a thread I'd started yesterday but I'm desperate for replies, so here goes again!

I'm an architect from Chennai, India and I've just completed my undergrad here.
I've received unconditional offers for both the MA in Architectural Design at the University of Sheffield and for the MArch Part 2 at the University of Strathclyde.
While I'm really interested in the programme at Sheffield, the fact that Strathclyde is offering a RIBA accredited course has put me in a dilemma.
Although I'm not really looking to work in the UK in the long run, I might want to work, if possible, for a couple of years anywhere in Europe, just for the sake of experience. Will licensure be a problem in this case? Can I take the Part 2 exam independently?

Also, I'd really appreciate any insights that you may have regarding these courses!

Thanks in advance,
Pritika.

Hi Pritika!

Whilst I haven't much insight into working abroad I can see you've had no reply and give you the best advice I can.

You say you've just completed your undergrad here, was this a RIBA/ARB accredited part 1? Should you decide to study the MA you can always work under a different title to 'architect' but offer similar services without RIBA/ARB accreditation and chartered registration.

You may find useful information on working abroad on the RIBA website. I know that you can apply to be a RIBA Chartered Architect after working in the UK for 5 years if your qialification is on The Professional Qualifications Directive 2005/36/EC but I am unsure about how it works the other way round. I imagine professional qualifications are recognised in Europe.

You can sit the ARB prescribed exams if you have a professional qualification not listed on the directive. Find info here: http://arb.org.uk/-overseas-qualifications

There is also a lot of useful info on working abroad on the RIBA website: https://www.architecture.com/RIBA/Working%20internationally/Workinginternationally.aspx - this is just one page I would suggest having a look around the website as there is a lot!

After considering all that info I would then have a look at each course and see how they differ/ which one you would prefer to study.

I'm sure someone on here will have more info on working in Europe/ registration.

Hope this helps somewhat :smile:
Hello everyone!

I've firmed Kent and chose Nottingham as insurance, but I have my exams next month and I'm really anxious whether I'd get the needed grades. I heard that some unis offer you a place for a different course if you haven't quite met the requirements. Does someone know whether that's when you are applying and you aren't that suitable for this exact course, but for a similar one or after you've received an offer but they aren't satisfied with your results. I hope I make sense :biggrin:
Original post by Misha97
Hello everyone!

I've firmed Kent and chose Nottingham as insurance, but I have my exams next month and I'm really anxious whether I'd get the needed grades. I heard that some unis offer you a place for a different course if you haven't quite met the requirements. Does someone know whether that's when you are applying and you aren't that suitable for this exact course, but for a similar one or after you've received an offer but they aren't satisfied with your results. I hope I make sense :biggrin:

Alternative offers can come either at the initial offer making stage or in August when the results come out.

With any "changed course offer" (the UCAS name for this) you have 7 days to either accept or reject the changed offer. So for example if you missed your firm offer and they made you one of these offers and you met your insurance (or your insurance accepted you even with missed grades) then you could either take the offer or reject it and go to your insurance. You can also phone up and ask if they can switch the changed course offer to a different course if there's something that appeals to you that they might not have considered.

It's worth remembering that a LOT of students are accepted by their firm choice even though they miss their predictions. In 2015 42% of those accepted by their firm choice in August missed their predictions by 2 or more grades. There's no guarantee of a place if you miss your offer but unless a university doesn't have the capacity or doesn't believe you're capable of succeeding on the course with the grades you get then you won't be rejected in August.
Original post by Charlaimee
Hi Pritika!

Whilst I haven't much insight into working abroad I can see you've had no reply and give you the best advice I can.

You say you've just completed your undergrad here, was this a RIBA/ARB accredited part 1? Should you decide to study the MA you can always work under a different title to 'architect' but offer similar services without RIBA/ARB accreditation and chartered registration.

You may find useful information on working abroad on the RIBA website. I know that you can apply to be a RIBA Chartered Architect after working in the UK for 5 years if your qialification is on The Professional Qualifications Directive 2005/36/EC but I am unsure about how it works the other way round. I imagine professional qualifications are recognised in Europe.

You can sit the ARB prescribed exams if you have a professional qualification not listed on the directive. Find info here: http://arb.org.uk/-overseas-qualifications

There is also a lot of useful info on working abroad on the RIBA website: https://www.architecture.com/RIBA/Working%20internationally/Workinginternationally.aspx - this is just one page I would suggest having a look around the website as there is a lot!

After considering all that info I would then have a look at each course and see how they differ/ which one you would prefer to study.

I'm sure someone on here will have more info on working in Europe/ registration.

Hope this helps somewhat :smile:

Hi Charlaimee!

I'm so sorry if I wasn't clear! I completed my course in Chennai, India, so it's definitely not RIBA accredited. I wish to study and work abroad for a couple of years purely for experience and knowledge that I can bring back to my own country and eventually (and hopefully!) start my own practice.

I am licensed in India already and do not need further qualifications to practice as an architect. I guess what I am asking is whether I'll be able to find work anywhere in Europe with an MA.

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Original post by PQ
Alternative offers can come either at the initial offer making stage or in August when the results come out.

With any "changed course offer" (the UCAS name for this) you have 7 days to either accept or reject the changed offer. So for example if you missed your firm offer and they made you one of these offers and you met your insurance (or your insurance accepted you even with missed grades) then you could either take the offer or reject it and go to your insurance. You can also phone up and ask if they can switch the changed course offer to a different course if there's something that appeals to you that they might not have considered.

It's worth remembering that a LOT of students are accepted by their firm choice even though they miss their predictions. In 2015 42% of those accepted by their firm choice in August missed their predictions by 2 or more grades. There's no guarantee of a place if you miss your offer but unless a university doesn't have the capacity or doesn't believe you're capable of succeeding on the course with the grades you get then you won't be rejected in August.

Thank youu 😄
Hi Charlaimee!

I'm so sorry if I wasn't clear! I completed my course in Chennai, India, so it's definitely not RIBA accredited. I wish to study and work abroad for a couple of years purely for experience and knowledge that I can bring back to my own country and eventually (and hopefully!) start my own practice.

I am licensed in India already and do not need further qualifications to practice as an architect. I guess what I am asking is whether I'll be able to find work anywhere in Europe with an MA.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Oh sure I see, you can always take the ARB prescribed examination at Part 3 if you wanted to register here!

I should imagine with the MA in Architectural Design you'd be able to find work in Europe, especially with a good portfolio.

I'd definitely recommend looking on the RIBA website, there was a lot of info on working abroad etc.

:smile:
Oh sure I see, you can always take the ARB prescribed examination at Part 3 if you wanted to register here!

I should imagine with the MA in Architectural Design you'd be able to find work in Europe, especially with a good portfolio.

I'd definitely recommend looking on the RIBA website, there was a lot of info on working abroad etc.

Thanks a lot! This was most helpful!

Also, any idea about the quality of the programme at Sheffield? It looks great, but I haven't really spoken to anyone who's actually studied there.
Thanks a lot! This was most helpful!

Also, any idea about the quality of the programme at Sheffield? It looks great, but I haven't really spoken to anyone who's actually studied there.

I've no idea unfortunately, I haven't applied there for my Part 2 so I haven't researched huge amounts into it. The university on a whole often ranks high in Architecture league tables. I do know a girl who went there to study her Part 2 last year, she was a very bright student with a father in architecture, based upon that I would say it must be a good school!

I've no idea unfortunately, I haven't applied there for my Part 2 so I haven't researched huge amounts into it. The university on a whole often ranks high in Architecture league tables. I do know a girl who went there to study her Part 2 last year, she was a very bright student with a father in architecture, based upon that I would say it must be a good school!

Thanks a ton and good luck with your Part 2 programme! 😊
Reply 1429
Hey Guys is there a Facebook group or something like that for the people who's going to Bartlett this year?
And also is Bartlett's location gonna change this year?
Thanks!
Reply 1430
Original post by Francescopsq97
Anyone still waiting on the Bartlett?

Me...its been more than three months..
Hi!
I'm applying to the Bartlett in 2017.
Do you usually need 4 subjects or 3?
I'm doing art, math, psychology and further maths, and I want to drop to further maths and do an Epq, would that be a bad idea?

Thankss
Rejected from the Bartlett just now, I totally get it and accept it! good luck to all those ones who got a an offer though! make the most of it, you're the very best students as they got only 100 applicants over 2000 students!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by starsfly
Hi!
I'm applying to the Bartlett in 2017.
Do you usually need 4 subjects or 3?
I'm doing art, math, psychology and further maths, and I want to drop to further maths and do an Epq, would that be a bad idea?

Thankss

Hey! You need 3 A levels and I think it's a good idea to drop further maths. Doing an EPQ is a great idea as it will provide you with so much stuff to say at interview stage.
Original post by Maria2698
Hey! You need 3 A levels and I think it's a good idea to drop further maths. Doing an EPQ is a great idea as it will provide you with so much stuff to say at interview stage.

Thanks!!
Reply 1435
Hi Guys. I received my offer from the Bartlett 1 month ago now, and I wanted to know for those who have got offers, if they would like to join the facebook group.
Reply 1436
Original post by jno3
Hi Guys. I received my offer from the Bartlett 1 month ago now, and I wanted to know for those who have got offers, if they would like to join the facebook group.

How is the Facebook group called?
Anyone else gonna be doing archi at Westminster?? 😁
Reply 1438
Original post by marpet
How is the Facebook group called?

The group is called Bartlett Architecture '19
Someone going to Kent? :h:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending