The Student Room Group

Is it normal that neither of my choices for university feel 'right'?

So I applied to 5 universities to study Biology. I got rejected from Bristol, but have conditional offers from University of Sheffield and University of Southampton and 2 unconditional offers from Cardiff University and UEA.

Sheffield and Southampton are the best in terms of league tables and student satisfaction for the course therefore ideally I'd want to go to either one of those. I was really keen on Sheffield up until I visited the university independently, which I came to realise was a city campus. The city itself is nice but I really didn't get the right feeling for it and left feeling disappointed. Therefore, I visited Southampton and really loved the fact it was a campus uni, although the city centre isn't as great.

I have spent the past week deliberating and changing my mind and ultimately it's left me to the decision that I don't want to go to either and I have lost all excitement. Is this normal? or is this just pre university nerves?

I still have put down a firm or insurance and the deadline is tomorrow :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 13051997
So I applied to 5 universities to study Biology. I got rejected from Bristol, but have conditional offers from University of Sheffield and University of Southampton and 2 unconditional offers from Cardiff University and UEA.

Sheffield and Southampton are the best in terms of league tables and student satisfaction for the course therefore ideally I'd want to go to either one of those. I was really keen on Sheffield up until I visited the university independently, which I came to realise was a city campus. The city itself is nice but I really didn't get the right feeling for it and left feeling disappointed. Therefore, I visited Southampton and really loved the fact it was a campus uni, although the city centre isn't as great.

I have spent the past week deliberating and changing my mind and ultimately it's left me to the decision that I don't want to go to either and I have lost all excitement. Is this normal? or is this just pre university nerves?

I still have put down a firm or insurance and the deadline is tomorrow :frown:

I think its a possibility the pressure could be making you lose the excitement. What i would do is draw up a pros and cons list for each university (things like the campuses, living costs, city life, modules and assessments are all important things to consider) , get all your thoughts down on paper and try and rationalize a decision from that.
I know the deadlines tomorrow but you do get the 7 day grace period if you have to make changes and there's always clearing and things later on if you do change your mind so just make the best logical decision possible now.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I think its a possibility the pressure could be making you lose the excitement. What i would do is draw up a pros and cons list for each university (things like the campuses, living costs, city life, modules and assessments are all important things to consider) , get all your thoughts down on paper and try and rationalize a decision from that.
I know the deadlines tomorrow but you do get the 7 day grace period if you have to make changes and there's always clearing and things later on if you do change your mind so just make the best logical decision possible now.

Thanks, I have tried to do this, but it just makes me more indecisive :frown: Both have their pros and cons. Personally, I don't feel like either university is for me but I don't know what other universities would be or what I'm looking for.
Thanks, I have tried to do this, but it just makes me more indecisive :frown: Both have their pros and cons. Personally, I don't feel like either university is for me but I don't know what other universities would be or what I'm looking for.

It's difficult if you don't know what you're looking for.
What are the pro's of your potential firm and insurance universities and what are the cons?
Have you tried to put them both in a hat, then pick one at random and see how that decision then makes you feel, apparently that can help with decisions sometimes.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
It's difficult if you don't know what you're looking for.
What are the pro's of your potential firm and insurance universities and what are the cons?
Have you tried to put them both in a hat, then pick one at random and see how that decision then makes you feel, apparently that can help with decisions sometimes.

Well I really love where I live (Brighton) however decided not to go to university here as it's better to move away and I would have to live at home for the next 3 years due to being unable to afford halls/student accommodation. I really like the idea of a campus uni but also want the buzz and variety of a city (doesn't have to be a big city). I feel like Southampton and Sheffield have one or the other which makes my choice difficult.

I kinda feel like I would be happier at Southampton maybe because it's down South and it's only 1hr and 40 min drive from home if I'm really hating it.

Overall this past week, I have been stressing about deciding between them and it's making me even rethink my subject choice as I'm not sure either course it completely right for me.

My insurance choice is Cardiff and although it is a reputable university, it isn't as great as either one and the student satisfaction for the course it's great either, neither is the number of students that get a first or 2:1.
Well I really love where I live (Brighton) however decided not to go to university here as it's better to move away and I would have to live at home for the next 3 years due to being unable to afford halls/student accommodation. I really like the idea of a campus uni but also want the buzz and variety of a city (doesn't have to be a big city). I feel like Southampton and Sheffield have one or the other which makes my choice difficult.

I kinda feel like I would be happier at Southampton maybe because it's down South and it's only 1hr and 40 min drive from home if I'm really hating it.

Overall this past week, I have been stressing about deciding between them and it's making me even rethink my subject choice as I'm not sure either course it completely right for me.

My insurance choice is Cardiff and although it is a reputable university, it isn't as great as either one and the student satisfaction for the course it's great either, neither is the number of students that get a first or 2:1.

The thing is, is that student statisfication although a helpful stat relies on people filling out surveys in their final year and not everybody bothers filling them in so it can be quite subjective and again with getting 1st or 2:1's although that could be affected by the quality of teaching, it also depends on the students themselves that year. So be sure to consider other factors in your choices as well, not just the numbers if that makes sense?.

If you are feeling unsure about the subject choice and not just the universities themselves, i would look into the available modules for your choices and have a real think as to whether you'd enjoy them or not and if the answer's no, then honestly i think you should consider deferring rather than having to rush your decision or put your decisions tonight and you still have 3 months to decide not to go this year if you don't want to.
If it doesnt feel right then don't go and take a year out if you arent going to be happy. You might get better grades and that might open up options.

I think Sheffield does well in the National Student Survey, as much as they are useful. Not sure its that important whether its all campus as its a bit spread over the edge of the city centre, but covers a large area. Its a big place, but you tend to go between your department and the student union imo.

Talk to some students on both courses. You dont sound too keen on leaving home, so maybe Southhampon will be more manageable for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
If it doesnt feel right then don't go and take a year out if you arent going to be happy. You might get better grades and that might open up options.

I think Sheffield does well in the National Student Survey, as much as they are useful. Not sure its that important whether its all campus as its a bit spread over the edge of the city centre, but covers a large area. Its a big place, but you tend to go between your department and the student union imo.

Talk to some students on both courses. You dont sound too keen on leaving home, so maybe Southhampon will be more manageable for you.

The problem is, I've already taken a year out! I feel like I've messed up with what universities I've chosen and didn't really go and visit them or look into them too much before I applied. Ideally, I want to start university this year as I don't want to really take another year out. But I guess if it makes me clearer in my decision, then maybe it is for the best.

I've changed my mind about 100 times this week and when I finally come to a decision, i'll sleep on it and wake up the next morning and start to think about it and over think about it and then my decision changes!

very confusing time :frown:
The problem is, I've already taken a year out! I feel like I've messed up with what universities I've chosen and didn't really go and visit them or look into them too much before I applied. Ideally, I want to start university this year as I don't want to really take another year out. But I guess if it makes me clearer in my decision, then maybe it is for the best.

I've changed my mind about 100 times this week and when I finally come to a decision, i'll sleep on it and wake up the next morning and start to think about it and over think about it and then my decision changes!

very confusing time :frown:

You already have your results? If so whats to stop you visiting again? ues I know it would be a trek but its soemthing you will be spending £50k on. Did you get a tour and meet with any staff or students? Did it feel impersonal and too big? Have you posted on the Sheffield and Southampton Uni sections on this forum?
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
You already have your results? If so whats to stop you visiting again? ues I know it would be a trek but its soemthing you will be spending £50k on. Did you get a tour and meet with any staff or students? Did it feel impersonal and too big? Have you posted on the Sheffield and Southampton Uni sections on this forum?

Yes. I have BBB, but am retaking an exam to get ABB. Hence why I have conditional and unconditional offers. The deadline for deciding which one is my firm is today/tomorrow. I feel like maybe putting them both down but then there would be no point as they are both looking for the same requirements?

I can't even explain the amount of forums I've looked at and different student satisfaction things and still hasn't helped but confused me even more.

Part of me wants to put one of them down, spend the next few weeks focussed on my exam, go and visit other uni's that I didn't before.
Not sure what the rule is on firming and then changing your mind. I think thats possible. Its asked on here almost daily. Seems like youve had a fair bit of time to get this sorted. Imo why not take a parent with you or a friend or both. they know you and you seem to start getting yourself in a tizz quite quickly, You can always turn both of them down and chance clearing.
I've been dealing with the same kind of problem (tho different unis and course).
like you i kept changing my mind all the time but as time was running out I just put one down this morning. i do recommedn u try what someone said about seeing how it makes you feel when you "decide" (or have sme decide for you or pick out of a hat) which uni ur going to - found this helpful personaly
Tho i'm not really worried about whether my firm and insurance are the right ones, i'm now freakingnout because i'm not sure i chose the right course and thinking maybe i shouldn't go to uni this year... :frown: I've been searching TSR etc for the past couple hours and some people say that this kind of feeling is just cause u get scared at the prospect of moving out etc
for the moment i'd say pick a firm and insurance and then when you've redone ur exams you can have a propoer think about whether you really want to do the course or not - as you can always pull out before september

anyway wanted to say good luck:smile: - i know how stressing this is :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by elenaxxx
I've been dealing with the same kind of problem (tho different unis and course).
like you i kept changing my mind all the time but as time was running out I just put one down this morning. i do recommedn u try what someone said about seeing how it makes you feel when you "decide" (or have sme decide for you or pick out of a hat) which uni ur going to - found this helpful personaly
Tho i'm not really worried about whether my firm and insurance are the right ones, i'm now freakingnout because i'm not sure i chose the right course and thinking maybe i shouldn't go to uni this year... :frown: I've been searching TSR etc for the past couple hours and some people say that this kind of feeling is just cause u get scared at the prospect of moving out etc
for the moment i'd say pick a firm and insurance and then when you've redone ur exams you can have a propoer think about whether you really want to do the course or not - as you can always pull out before september

anyway wanted to say good luck:smile: - i know how stressing this is :s-smilie:

Finally someone who knows how I feel!
I've felt so stupid the past couple of days stressing out :frown:
Yup! exactly how I feel, unfortunately for me, my home uni has the perfect uni course (didn't apply), however I would have to live at home for the next few years so wouldn't get the 'student experience' so to speak :frown:
Thank you!!
Yeah i know what u mean - i feel kinda stupid not knowing where to go and now whether i even want to go :s-smilie: it's like why am i incapable of deciding what i want to do/where i want to go?
I'd applied to Oxford (where i also happen to live) and really liked their course but got rejected so yeah... BUt i get what u mean - i wouldn't have wanted to live at home...

i'd say if you liked southampton you should put it down as firm and then cardiff as insurance - then when the stress of exams r over you can take the time to figure out if you want to go or not :smile:
Reply 14
im withdrawing all my applications tomorrow, i dont want to go
Original post by Goaded
im withdrawing all my applications tomorrow, i dont want to go

did you not like the courses/unis you applied to?
r u going to re-apply next year or have u decided uni isn't for u and u'll do smth else?
Reply 16
Original post by elenaxxx
did you not like the courses/unis you applied to?
r u going to re-apply next year or have u decided uni isn't for u and u'll do smth else?

no idea what i'll do. just know im unhappy doing what im doing and the pressure from everyone around me pushing me to go, is certainly not helping. i need to step back and take a break. appreciate i only get this funding once and make sure i use it wisely
I would say it's normal but not necessarily right, ideally if neither university feels like the right one you shouldn't pick either.

I'm at Sheffield and know people at Soton, I'd say people at the latter find it a bit boring (as is the case with most campus unis bar a few exceptions) whereas there's a tonne of things to do at Sheffield.
Reply 18
Original post by Helloworld_95
I would say it's normal but not necessarily right, ideally if neither university feels like the right one you shouldn't pick either.

I'm at Sheffield and know people at Soton, I'd say people at the latter find it a bit boring (as is the case with most campus unis bar a few exceptions) whereas there's a tonne of things to do at Sheffield.

This is what I was thinking, but it's my only option! I've heard so many great things about Sheffield and no one complaining about it, however I went and visited and my gut feeling just wasn't right - I really didn't like the fact it was a city campus and the fact the accommodation is quite a distance from the lectures. What kinds of 'things' are there to do in Sheffield?
This is what I was thinking, but it's my only option! I've heard so many great things about Sheffield and no one complaining about it, however I went and visited and my gut feeling just wasn't right - I really didn't like the fact it was a city campus and the fact the accommodation is quite a distance from the lectures. What kinds of 'things' are there to do in Sheffield?

I really dont think the accommodation is distant. There are tons of private halls within 10- 15 minutes. How much closer would you want it? I very rarely hear anyone saying anything bad and most people love it. The city is cheap and its very much geared towards students,. It was on a campus, but it just expands all the time. Its still pretty conentrated for your pirpose, which is the SY building, the library and the biology building all within a 5 minute triangle.

Sheffield is hilly.

Quick Reply

Latest