The Student Room Group

Hungry all the time after some blood loss (+anemia) - normal reaction?

Is it normal? I've lost quite a bit of blood during the past 2 weeks, was on antibiotics, and had quite a bit of anesthetic pumped into me. :colonhash: I was already anemic to begin with but my appetite has always been poor. Is it possible that my anemia is now worse and that's why? Will this go away soon? I am a bit underweight but I'd prefer to stay that way.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Is it normal? I've lost quite a bit of blood during the past 2 weeks, was on antibiotics, and had quite a bit of anesthetic pumped into me. :colonhash: I was already anemic to begin with but my appetite has always been poor. Is it possible that my anemia is now worse and that's why? Will this go away soon? I am a bit underweight but I'd prefer to stay that way.

Loosing blood means loosing energy and nutrients that are in it. Probably normal with the blood loss and healing/ regeneration. I expect it will improve and isn't worsened anemia. As far as I know anemia is due to iron levels and would not be affected by blood loss.

You could check with a doc or pharmacist if you are worried though :smile:
That's normal. See a professional if you're worried.
Original post by Kindred
Loosing blood means loosing energy and nutrients that are in it. Probably normal with the blood loss and healing/ regeneration. I expect it will improve and isn't worsened anemia. As far as I know anemia is due to iron levels and would not be affected by blood loss.

You could check with a doc or pharmacist if you are worried though :smile:

Anaemia is low erythrocyte or haemoglobin levels. There are many causes, including low iron levels and blood loss.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by morgan8002
That's normal. See a professional if you're worried.

Anaemia is low erythrocyte or haemoglobin levels. There are many causes, including low iron levels and blood loss.

Thanks for that.
I assume blood loss would be tempory influence still and it's affects would improve as the blood is restored?
Original post by Kindred
Thanks for that.
I assume blood loss would be tempory influence still and it's affects would improve as the blood is restored?

Yeah, assuming they get the proper nutrition.

Quick Reply

Latest