The Student Room Group

Queen make bad albums

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Itsyaboy
Welp, you do know that he's one of the greatest rap producers of all time yeah? If it wasn't for Kanye, you probably wouldn't know Jay Z as he is today.
He was also arguably one of the most influential artist of the 21st century so far. Without him, there'd be no Drake, no the weeknd or frank ocean. You might not like them, but they're the biggest selling artists of today.

Note that if a writer is credited, then they're not a ghostwriter. And do you genuinely think all these amazing lyricists of the past hasn't ever asked for advice on a song and not credited that person?

You're right. I immensely dislike Drake etc. And Jay Z is crap- if West was his inspiration, then it's not saying much for him. He may be one of the most influential artists of the 21st century, but Queen has been inspiring musicians for decades. The amount of sales for an artist does not really constitute them as being musical geniuses, rather it exemplifies their ability to appeal to a more mainstream, not necessarily musically-educated audience.

Also, if you are insistent on taking that line of argument, you should consider that Queen's 'Greatest Hits I' album is the best selling album of all time in the UK.

And concerning the 'ghostwriter' aspect of your argument, I was saying that West relies on ghostwriters a lot of the time to write his lyrics. Seldom does he write his own songs, but when he does he is heavily dependent on the input from a plethora of people. By the way, there is a difference between asking for lyrical advice and being dependent on others to write their ****.

Many of Queen's songs were lyrically brilliant- they didn't rely on others to write their lyrics though. They managed that through their own creative capabilities.
Original post by Monty25dec
You're right. I immensely dislike Drake etc. And Jay Z is crap- if West was his inspiration, then it's not saying much for him. He may be one of the most influential artists of the 21st century, but Queen has been inspiring musicians for decades. The amount of sales for an artist does not really constitute them as being musical geniuses, rather it exemplifies their ability to appeal to a more mainstream, not necessarily musically-educated audience.

Also, if you are insistent on taking that line of argument, you should consider that Queen's 'Greatest Hits I' album is the best selling album of all time in the UK.

And concerning the 'ghostwriter' aspect of your argument, I was saying that West relies on ghostwriters a lot of the time to write his lyrics. Seldom does he write his own songs, but when he does he is heavily dependent on the input from a plethora of people. By the way, there is a difference between asking for lyrical advice and being dependent on others to write their ****.

Many of Queen's songs were lyrically brilliant- they didn't rely on others to write their lyrics though. They managed that through their own creative capabilities.

What's your evidence?
For the writer thing, one writer might simply have contributed one line

Lyrics don't make a song, if they did, Artists like Babymetal, Rammstein, Nena,ect... Wouldn't be gaining/wouldn't've gained international popularity.

Also, you seem to have this idea that artists who don't write their own lyrics are terrible... Yet it simply isn't the case. Look at artists like Elton John, Diana Ross, Frank Sinatra, Whitney Houston and in some cases BING CROSBY. These are HUGE names in music history. Hell, Babymetal may well become a huge name in the music industry, we could be witnessing the birth of a new genre. And no, the girls don't write the songs themselves either.

It's not about what the lyrics are, or who wrote them. It's about the way they're delivered.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheMcSame
Lyrics don't make a song, if they did, Artists like Babymetal, Rammstein, Nena,ect... Wouldn't be gaining/wouldn't've gained international popularity.

Also, you seem to have this idea that artists who don't write their own lyrics are terrible... Yet it simply isn't the case. Look at artists like Elton John, Diana Ross, Frank Sinatra, Whitney Houston and in some cases BING CROSBY. These are HUGE names in music history. Hell, Babymetal may well become a huge name in the music industry, we could be witnessing the birth of a new genre. And no, the girls don't write the songs themselves either.

It's not about what the lyrics are, or who wrote them. It's about the way they're delivered.

I'll agree the way lyrics are delivered is essential, but I think a massive aspect of an artist's creativity is the songwriting- the majority of names you have just listed are singers, not necessarily artists.

Also, I would like to draw your attention to West's rendition of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' at Glastonbury. He cleverly failed to 'deliver' then.
I'll agree the way lyrics are delivered is essential, but I think a massive aspect of an artist's creativity is the songwriting- the majority of names you have just listed are singers, not necessarily artists.

Also, I would like to draw your attention to West's rendition of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' at Glastonbury. He cleverly failed to 'deliver' then.

But Freddie Mercury could have never flipped a sample like Kanye.
kanye haters really love to bring up that cover as if he was being serious when he covered
Original post by Itsyaboy
But Freddie Mercury could have never flipped a sample like Kanye.
kanye haters really love to bring up that cover as if he was being serious when he covered

Even if you like Kanye, I think you've got to acknowledge that his Glastonbury performance was a crime against music. That's not an opinion, it's fact.
Even if you like Kanye, I think you've got to acknowledge that his Glastonbury performance was a crime against music. That's not an opinion, it's fact.

I enjoyed it, not the best Glastonbury performance ever obviously, nor the best Ye performance ever
Still had some solid moments though

Just singers? The hell does that make Freddie then? Sure, you could argue it either way for some of them, but the likes of Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby? No way in hell.. Freddie looks like an amature next to those two.

And since we're, for whatever reason, just throwing in things people should watch.... I would like to draw your attention to Elton John and Axl Rose's Rendition at Wembley in '92. They delivered it very well. Elton John arguably delivering it better than Freddie himself.

Seriously though, I'm not arguing in favour of Kanye. I don't think "failed to deliver" even comes close to describing what Kanye did.
Just singers? The hell does that make Freddie then? Sure, you could argue it either way for some of them, but the likes of Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby? No way in hell.. Freddie looks like an amature next to those two.

And since we're, for whatever reason, just throwing in things people should watch.... I would like to draw your attention to Elton John and Axl Rose's Rendition at Wembley in '92. They delivered it very well. Elton John arguably delivering it better than Freddie himself.

Seriously though, I'm not arguing in favour of Kanye. I don't think "failed to deliver" even comes close to describing what Kanye did.

When I said the "majority" of names on his list as being mere singers, I was more referring to Whitney Housten. I agree undoubtedly that Sinatra, Crosby, John etc. are fantastic musicians. Elton's performance was one of the better ones that night, but in my biased opinion, he is still incomparable to Freddie. His performance of 'Save Me' at Rock Montreal is intoxicating and honestly 'took my breath away' (you'll have to excuse me, that was a really poor Queen pun). He was so charismatic and in that example given, his voice was flawless. But then again, I'm going to be clearly prejudiced in my view.

And I appreciate your comment about Kanye West- perhaps my choice of language should have been more severe,
Have you listened to songs such as 'The Millionaire Waltz', 'White Man' and 'Flick of the Wrist'?

Not only are they musically fantastic, but the lyrics are equally brilliant. I can understand that some of their songs might not be to everyone's taste, but their songs changed over time and more importantly, they covered a vast range of genres. So although there may be some songs you don't like, there's there's bound to be at least one song in an album that is suited to your particular taste.

I personally prefer the unconventional Queen songs now. Before I became I full on Queen fan (bordering on self-confessed aficionado), I dismissed the less well-known Queen songs as perhaps a little odd, but I often find the more you listen to them, the more you understand and appreciate the music.

'My Fairy King' is a key example of this- the first time a listened to it I was like wtf, but now I think the instrumentation and lyrics are absolute genius. I mean, I didn't get it at first, but the song is practically a poem, about how human corruption has tainted the purity and perfection of the world (well, this is my interpretation anyway)- you wouldn't get this upon a first listen.

Obviously, I'm going to be a bit bias, but I think it's worth reconsidering your opinion on Queen albums. Granted, some are better than others, but I certainly wouldn't generalize all of their albums as "bad".

I came here to say something to this effect. You nailed it. :biggrin:

Kanye >> all of them apart from Sinatra and elton

None of those people ever made anything as beautiful as he Runaway outro
Fully agree with the sentiment of this thread; amazing live, outstanding singles, thoroughly underwhelming albums.

Quick Reply

Latest