The Student Room Group

Boyfriend is really clingy and won't let me revise for A Levels

My boyfriend is amazing but he's really clingy. I have exams in about two weeks and I keep telling him I need to revise. He works so he comes back at about 6:30 and I'm home by 5. We usually talk until we fall asleep when he comes home, but it's becoming an issue because he's always wanting to talk so I hardly have any time to revise. He tells me to work hard and make him proud but doesn't leave me any time to do so, -and gets upset with me when I tell him that I need to do work instead of talk. Any advice on how to get him to give me some space?

Scroll to see replies

Leave him
^^ agree with the posts above :rofl:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Simplest thing is to study in libraries/cafes until nighttime, then chill with him when you're home.
tell him to back off or **** off, seriously your future is more important
Hey,

watch les brown negative people. Hope this helps get your grades and do what you have to do :biggrin:
Just tell him straight if he gets upset leave him. Get it into his mind that after these few weeks of revision and exams that you'll be free to do whatever you both want.
Make sure he understands the importance of these exams!
He needs to let you revise. Tell him that you seriously need to work and that talking all the time is really hampering your revision!
Be forceful and make him leave you alone so you can work
If worst comes to worst, leave him! But thats a last ditch effort!
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend is amazing but he's really clingy. I have exams in about two weeks and I keep telling him I need to revise. He works so he comes back at about 6:30 and I'm home by 5. We usually talk until we fall asleep when he comes home, but it's becoming an issue because he's always wanting to talk so I hardly have any time to revise. He tells me to work hard and make him proud but doesn't leave me any time to do so, -and gets upset with me when I tell him that I need to do work instead of talk. Any advice on how to get him to give me some space?

How old are you.. 10? that you can't make decisions for yourself lmao, grow up already, your boyfriend doesn't dictate your lifestyle.
If your boyfriend is otherwise amazing, I wouldn't think that this is something to dump him over. You need to speak to him and make it clear how important these exams are, and that you will be revising for them. Perhaps say that you will work until a specific time each night, so he knows from say 8.30pm onwards, you will be able to talk. Also remind him of the fact that in a month or so's time, it will all be over, and he will be able to talk to you as much as he likes :tongue:

I'm sure you can reach a compromise- it isn't necessary for all communication to be stopped around exams, but it is necessary that you're putting enough work in.
You need to talk to him about it. He'll surely understand if you explain it to him properly.
Sounds like he's already suffocating her.

OP just have a word with him, don't say you need space, just say you seriously need time alone to revise. And make it up to him by surprising him one day or something.

Or just don't talk it through and breakup.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12

Get rid of him
I he cared he would not be doing this
I had the same thing during my GCSEs. You need to make it clear to him how important these exams are for your future, and if he doesnt appreciate that then maybe he's not the kind of person you should be with. :frown: <3

I think you need to be more firm with him, clingyness is never good in a relationship. If he refuses to respect your wishes then I would consider whether you should stay with him.
Reply 15
Original post by rajneetk
Sit down and talk to him.

Precisely, she doesn't want to talk.
Original post by Josb
Precisely, she doesn't want to talk.

Well talking is the only way to resolve a problem.
Cheat on him with his best friend.
It's a bit poor you cant stick up for yourself and make it clear how important they are and that you need to study.
Its a bit pathetic, selfish and mornonic of him that he isnt being supportive and doesnt appreciate you need to study for a massive 2 weeks.

For goodness sake get him to grow up and tell him to back off. If he wants you to do well then you need to be free to study and dont have time for chatting at the moment, he's either thoughtless, deliberately sabotaging or dumb.

If he wants to help then he can cook dinner, make drinks on request, do the chores and run you a bath etc.
How old are you.. 10? that you can't make decisions for yourself lmao, grow up already, your boyfriend doesn't dictate your lifestyle.

This.

Tell him straight that this is what's happening, he can contact you at X time and if he starts whinging tell him he's stressing you out and it'll have to be no contact at all if he can't be supportive. You need to draw boundaries asap in a relationship like that, it's really not healthy to not be able to do things you want to do cos you have to sit on the phone all night to your boyfriend and it will be the same for other things in the future, friends/jobs/etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending