The Student Room Group

BTECs are just as hard as a-levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Youngmetro
*credited

If you noticed, it was an image. So no, i didnt intend to be credited.

Glad you can read, and correct mistakes! :gthumb: - Saved me the time of editing the post, so thanks!

If you hold the same views then it's good enough in my books! :smile:
Reply 41
this thread is a joke
Original post by Binary Freak
Glad you can read, and correct mistakes! :gthumb: - Saved me the time of editing the post, so thanks!

If you hold the same views then it's good enough in my books! :smile:

Its a joke, i dont hold the same views.
Original post by Youngmetro
Its a joke, i dont hold the same views.

Take it with a pinch of salt! - I don't put anything past the users on here! :hmpf:
Original post by TMC113
That's true in theory, but in practice that doesn't work as well, some of the higher up universities won't see it this way. I'm not saying B-techs are bad, but they just haven't got the level of respect that A Levels have!

BTEC's are good if you don't desire to go to university or have an alternative path planned like i had and still have
Alevels are much harder, sorry.

You can't get into Oxbridge or (top10/20) with a btec in business. Unless you get like Distinction star or whatever

It sounds means but that's life.
Reply 46
Original post by jamesthehustler
BTEC's are good if you don't desire to go to university or have an alternative path planned like i had and still have

Oh yeah then they're great I'm sure, I just put that out there as the initial post mentioned universities
Said no one ever.
Original post by lulucoco98

You can't get into Oxbridge or (top10/20) with a btec in business. Unless you get like Distinction star or whatever

Oh yes you can! Level 3 extended diploma in Business here - D*D*D* - offers from Lancaster, Bath, York and UONottingham - chose Nottingham
Original post by marmalade11
Oh yes you can! Level 3 extended diploma in Business here - D*D*D* - offers from Lancaster, Bath, York and UONottingham - chose Nottingham

Amazing!!! I said "Distinction star though" so you have to be a exceptional btec candidate.
Reply 50
Original post by Blackstarr
I do a BTEC and from what I have heard, A levels are harder apart from applied science which could be just as hard as the A level sciences

BTEC'S are changing anyway because they are going to have some exams in them, at least for my health and social care BTEC which shows that they don't match with A levels.

My tutors say that its unfair how a Pass at BTEC is equivalent to a A level C grade when students just write one paragraph and get a C grade.

But obviously for the merit and distinction work, there is a word count.

Pass is an E grade
Merit is a C
Reply 51
Original post by lulucoco98

I wouldnt say that they are harder they just teach different skills, with the BTEC that I did the course content was mapped very similarly to the Computing A level and we were taught the same content, by the same teachers with the same powerpoint lectures, personally I am glad I did a BTEC over A levels as the BTEC is preferred by employers and prepared me very well for uni.

there are a lot of top 20 that accept BTEC (inc other BTEC subjects)

I am in my second year of my MSci Computer Science degree at a top 20 uni and I did a BTEC Extended in Computing.

-

Oxford accept for Fine Art, Computer Science (inc maths) and Psychology
- Some one last year got into Oxford to study Experimental Psychology with a Health Science BTEC

Cambridge accept for Engineering (inc maths)

UCL
Durham
LSE
Manchester
Kings College London

Also accept for various subjects including Business/Management, Computer Science, ITMB, Medical Sciences as well as many others, also many other top 20 and RG unis accept, people from my old BTEC class got into: Manchester, Southampton, Surrey, Bath, KCL, Royal Holloway, Cardiff and I also know people from different BTEC courses who went to Durham, York and Bristol.

The only uni that states that they dont accept is Imperial although I read an article once about someone who got in with an Electronic Engineering BTEC to study Physics
Original post by yt7777
I wouldnt say that they are harder they just teach different skills, with the BTEC that I did the course content was mapped very similarly to the Computing A level and we were taught the same content, by the same teachers with the same powerpoint lectures, personally I am glad I did a BTEC over A levels as the BTEC is preferred by employers and prepared me very well for uni.

there are a lot of top 20 that accept BTEC (inc other BTEC subjects)

I am in my second year of my MSci Computer Science degree at a top 20 uni and I did a BTEC Extended in Computing.

-

Oxford accept for Fine Art, Computer Science (inc maths) and Psychology
- Some one last year got into Oxford to study Experimental Psychology with a Health Science BTEC

Cambridge accept for Engineering (inc maths)

UCL
Durham
LSE
Manchester
Kings College London

Also accept for various subjects including Business/Management, Computer Science, ITMB, Medical Sciences as well as many others, also many other top 20 and RG unis accept, people from my old BTEC class got into: Manchester, Southampton, Surrey, Bath, KCL, Royal Holloway, Cardiff and I also know people from different BTEC courses who went to Durham, York and Bristol.

The only uni that states that they dont accept is Imperial although I read an article once about someone who got in with an Electronic Engineering BTEC to study Physics

Wish I done btec now
A-levels are harder as they're far more academic than BTEC's, and require the basic knowledge to do well. Where-as BTEC's are far more hands on, and one can still come out with D*D*D without even trying. Heck, they could even do the work overnight and still come out with those grades. Where-as chances of coming out with A*A*A* with A levels from just one night of studying is well...impossible. Saying that though, i am not trying to shun BTEC's as some of them can be challenging as-well. Just not on the same level as A-Levels. :smile:

Spoiler

My tutors say that its unfair how a Pass at BTEC is equivalent to a A level C grade when students just write one paragraph and get a C grade.

Your tutor is wrong, a Pass is equivalent to a grade E in A level. Merits = grade C

Original post by callumhowieson
I'm taking both and this is absolute BS.

Predicted grades
BTEC Business: D*
BTEC Law D*
AS maths B (I'm pushing for an A) but this requires soooooo much more effort.
I wanna take Further maths AS next year also

I'm sorry, but how are you able to take two BTEC courses, as-well as A-Level Maths.
Original post by yt7777
Pass is an E grade
Merit is a C

Original post by Dann.It
A-levels are harder as they're far more academic than BTEC's, and require the basic knowledge to do well. Where-as BTEC's are far more hands on, and one can still come out with D*D*D without even trying. Heck, they could even do the work overnight and still come out with those grades. Where-as chances of coming out with A*A*A* with A levels from just one night of studying is well...impossible. Saying that though, i am not trying to shun BTEC's as some of them can be challenging as-well. Just not on the same level as A-Levels. :smile:

Spoiler

Your tutor is wrong, a Pass is equivalent to a grade E in A level. Merits = grade CI'm sorry, but how are you able to take two BTEC courses, as-well as A-Level Maths.

How?

I do a 90 credit diploma level 3 and my teachers say that pass=C grade

They are the teachers and should know what they are talking about?
Reply 55
How?

I do a 90 credit diploma level 3 and my teachers say that pass=C grade

They are the teachers and should know what they are talking about?

Clearly they dont if they are saying a Merit is a C grade, you'd be surprised how little some teachers know about the qualifications they actually teach I actually knew more about BTEC than some of my teachers when I was at college

Pass = E
Merit = C
Distinction = A
D* = A*

for your 90 credit diploma you receive 2 grades the first grade corresponds to a full A level equiv. grade and the second grade is worth an AS level so if you got MP (Merit/Pass) at the end of this year that would be 1.5 A levels at grades CE where the E would be the AS equivalent (0.5 A levels) - Are you carrying on to do the full Extended diploma next year?

Your teachers may be thinking of Level 2 where a Pass is equivalent of a C grade at GCSE, but if you are doing Level 3 then a Pass is 100% equivalent to an E grade, watch out for this as you may get tripped up if you think you're working at a higher grade then you actually are
Original post by yt7777
Clearly they dont if they are saying a Merit is a C grade, you'd be surprised how little some teachers know about the qualifications they actually teach I actually knew more about BTEC than some of my teachers when I was at college

Pass = E
Merit = C
Distinction = A
D* = A*

for your 90 credit diploma you receive 2 grades the first grade corresponds to a full A level equiv. grade and the second grade is worth an AS level so if you got MP (Merit/Pass) at the end of this year that would be 1.5 A levels at grades CE where the E would be the AS equivalent (0.5 A levels) - Are you carrying on to do the full Extended diploma next year?

Your teachers may be thinking of Level 2 where a Pass is equivalent of a C grade at GCSE, but if you are doing Level 3 then a Pass is 100% equivalent to an E grade, watch out for this as you may get tripped up if you think you're working at a higher grade then you actually are

So there is not B grade equivalent?

And according to my teacher i am targeted MP for this year so roughly how many points do i need to achieve that and how about MM.

I am pretty sure i have asked this question before but i am still somehow confused.

If i do good this year as in get at least MM then i will move up to the extended diploma.

Will any universities consider me as realistically with one month left, i think i will get MP so should i just do the extended diploma next year, work extra hard for MDD and then apply to uni.

If it helps, i am interested in health care.
Reply 57
So there is not B grade equivalent?

And according to my teacher i am targeted MP for this year so roughly how many points do i need to achieve that and how about MM.

I am pretty sure i have asked this question before but i am still somehow confused.

If i do good this year as in get at least MM then i will move up to the extended diploma.

Will any universities consider me as realistically with one month left, i think i will get MP so should i just do the extended diploma next year, work extra hard for MDD and then apply to uni.

If it helps, i am interested in health care.

Nope there is no B grade equivalent in level 3

you will need the Extended Diploma diploma to get into uni as you cannot realistically get enough UCAS points from just the 90 credit diploma as the highest grade D*D* is only worth 210 points

If you are able to get MM this year then you have every chance of being able to achieve DDM overall, your grades from both the 2 years get combined to give you the overall grade, you will need to achieve a good mix of Distinctions and Merits next year to do this as you are not allowed to go back and redo work from the previous year
Original post by yt7777
Nope there is no B grade equivalent in level 3

you will need the Extended Diploma diploma to get into uni as you cannot realistically get enough UCAS points from just the 90 credit diploma as the highest grade D*D* is only worth 210 points

If you are able to get MM this year then you have every chance of being able to achieve DDM overall, your grades from both the 2 years get combined to give you the overall grade, you will need to achieve a good mix of Distinctions and Merits next year to do this as you are not allowed to go back and redo work from the previous year

210 Ucas point? Isn't a D* worth 140 Ucas point? Or am i wrong on that.
Reply 59
Original post by Dann.It
210 Ucas point? Isn't a D* worth 140 Ucas point? Or am i wrong on that.

a single D* is worth 140 UCAS points

D*D* in the 90 credit diploma which is worth 1.5 A levels

so D* (140) + D* (70) = 210

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending