The Student Room Group

Geology Bsc

I hopefully will be going to Portsmouth uni to do Geology and they have asked for a B in A level and I achieved a D last year although I am retaking a unit this year. What happens if I achieve a C rather than a B in my Geology A level will they let me continue at Uni or not.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArchDornan
I hopefully will be going to Portsmouth uni to do Geology and they have asked for a B in A level and I achieved a D last year although I am retaking a unit this year. What happens if I achieve a C rather than a B in my Geology A level will they let me continue at Uni or not.

We can't say.

It's best to contact the department themselves.
Reply 2
Original post by hezzlington
We can't say.

It's best to contact the department themselves.

Dude they gave me that placement email malarkey about they will decide on results day.
Dude they gave me that placement email malarkey about they will decide on results day.

Well with all due respect, what else do you expect us to be able to say? That's the answer.
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
Well with all due respect, what else do you expect us to be able to say? That's the answer.

I have no clue honestly. So basically its all on luck.

If you don't meet your offer in the subject you are applying for, what do you expect to happen?

Just aim to do the best you possibly can and don't worry about the what ifs.

Get that B grade.

There's a few of us here that will be more than happy to help you with geological/geophysical topics if you require it.
(edited 7 years ago)

No, it's all on you to ensure you meet the requirement of your course. Like I said, we are here if you need help with anything related to your course :smile:

Geology courses generally aren't ridiculously competitive so I'd say it's potentially more likely that they'd be more lenient than, say, a Physics or Medicine course but the only certainty is that you've only got a guaranteed place if you make the offer grades. So try your hardest to get them!
Reply 8
Geology courses generally aren't ridiculously competitive so I'd say it's potentially more likely that they'd be lenient than, say, in a Physics or Medicine course but the only certainty is that you've only got a guaranteed place if you make the offer grades. So try your hardest to get them!

I mean on the open day there was like 3 people on the open day and my logic is that if there is such a low amount of people for my course they are going to want more people.
TSR has a geology section? Who knew :smile:
Original post by TSR Mustafa
TSR has a geology section? Who knew :smile:

I wish it was busier.
I mean on the open day there was like 3 people on the open day and my logic is that if there is such a low amount of people for my course they are going to want more people.

On the other hand, those offer grades are there for a reason. They've set those offer grades because that's the level of achievement they think matriculating students should have in order to adequately deal with the course. If they start letting people in who aren't adequately prepared for the course then they're potentially setting them up for failure, so regardless of Portsmouth's decision it really is in your own interest to do as well as possible at A Level to get the best start at university.
I wish it was busier.

We need a TSR Geology Society that isn't dead (...or fossilised).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
No, it's all on you to ensure you meet the requirement of your course. Like I said, we are here if you need help with anything related to your course :smile:

My problem is that I give correct answers in the Geological sense but not on the mark scheme.
Reply 13
On the other hand, those offer grades are there for a reason. They've set those offer grades because that's the level of achievement they think matriculating students should have in order to adequately deal with the course. If they start letting people in who aren't adequately prepared for the course then they're potentially setting them up for failure, so regardless of Plymouth's decision it really is in your own interest to do as well as possible at A Level to get the best start at university.

We need a TSR Geology Society that isn't dead.

Portsmouth Uni bro.
Portsmouth Uni bro.

Sorry, my mistake.
Reply 15
Sorry, my mistake.

Yeah its not a Russell Group but I am guaranteed an A and B in my other A levels.
Reply 16
If you don't meet your offer in the subject you are applying for, what do you expect to happen?

Just aim to do the best you possibly can and don't worry about the what ifs.

Get that B grade.

There's a few of us here that will be more than happy to help you with geological/geophysical topics if you require it.

Do you have any tips?
Do you have any tips?

Give the examiners what they want to hear. Use mark schemes etc.

What exam board?
Reply 18
Give the examiners what they want to hear. Use mark schemes etc.

What exam board?

OCR
Reply 19

All people going to portsmouth say heyoo!

Quick Reply

Latest