The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Ask a Current Student Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olijm
Hey, i'm due to attend the partners summer school in summer which i'm free to attend. However, i may be going on holiday for a month afterwards so would have to complete my project while on holiday. Is this advisable to do so? If not i won't go on holiday. Is the project intense, what does it entail? I've applied to study geography so will likely do a humanities project.
Thanks in advance

Hi :smile:

This would be a very individual situation so if you wanted to chat to the PARTNERS team in more detail please e-mail them at [email protected]

However, the hand in dates are Monday 18 July and Monday 25 July (depending on your subject strand) so you need to make sure you've got enough time to work on the assignment before it's due in. You can hand it in before you go on holiday if you like, but at this stage we can't advise exactly what the assignment will entail.

All the best

Persephone
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Crmr1996
Hiya, was wondering how many people roughly do business management and how many do French at Newcastle? Just to get an idea of what lectures would be like! Also, I'm still not clear on the placement year, are you able to choose both a work placement and study abroad for the year? And does the work placement have to be in a French speaking country or can it be UK? Last question, I know this is probably unlikely but if you are a placement year student is it still possible to do a study abroad semester in your second year? :smile: I know of a few people spending parts of their second year in America so was just wondering if this is an added option! Thank you!

Hey :smile:

OK, so for this year there were 50 students doing French at Level A (meaning they didn't have an A-Level in French) and 119 students doing French at Level B (either students in first year with A Level French or students in second year who did Level A the year before!). But you wouldn't have everyone in the same class at the same time. For example, the Level A French group is split into 3 classes of about 16 people each.

For the Business Management modules there would be at least 100 students enrolled on each. The biggest one is 'Introduction to Management and Organisation,' which had 583 students this year. Similar to French, above, this module was split into two groups so the lectures would have 250-300 people in max.

The Combined Honours homepage has some info on the intercalating year abroad. Yes, you need to spend the year in a French-speaking country whether you are doing study abroad, working as a teaching assistant, or doing a paid work placement. I think it would be extremely rare, if not impossible, for someone to do a semester abroad in second year and follow it with an intercalating year because you would miss not only half a year of language classes but also a lot of the pre-departure information and planning.

However it definitely is possible to do a research scholarship or expedition in the summer holiday either before or after your intercalating year.

Hope that answers your questions!

Persephone
Reply 102
Hey I was wondering if you know if law would still be open for extra at this late stage?
Hey,
Could you possibly show an example timetable for law? :smile:
Original post by rm717
Hey I was wondering if you know if law would still be open for extra at this late stage?

Hi,

The Admissions Assistant for Law isn't in the office right now but I checked on the UCAS site and it says that our Law LLB is in Extra.

Are you having trouble selecting it on UCAS...?

All the best,

Persephone
Original post by Tom5pence
Hey,
Could you possibly show an example timetable for law? :smile:

Hi,

Here are the lectures for the first Semester of Stage 1 Law :smile:

As well as that you'd have several small group seminars each week. You can find more info about that on the modules list :smile: And their website has more detailed info than the prospectus, so give that a look if you haven't already!

All the best,

Persephone
Reply 106
Hi,
I was wondering if you could possibly tell me what jobs previous students that studied BA geography have gone into, and if the graduate schemes and jobs available are any good? as well as what salary do people mainly start on.

Thanks
Original post by nadz97
Hi,
I was wondering if you could possibly tell me what jobs previous students that studied BA geography have gone into, and if the graduate schemes and jobs available are any good? as well as what salary do people mainly start on.

Thanks

I just replied to your message on our wall, but for anyone else who is interested you can see some Geography Alumni profiles here :smile:

The most recent data we have comes from 2014 grads. 6 months after graduating81% were in work or study, £20,000 was the average salary, with the typical range £16,000 - 21,000.

Some of the jobs they had were:

Account Executive with Mortar London
Aldi Area Manager with Graduate Scheme Aldi Stores Ltd
Alumni Relations Officer at Lancaster Grammar School
Graduate Chartered Surveyor with Mantle Estates Ltd
Intern at Portobello Studios
Junior Development Manager at Northill Properties Ltd
Land Assistant with JM Osborne and Company
Lettings Negotiator with Knight Frank
Marketing Assistant with Primary Opinion Ltd
Partnership Officer Internship with Marie Curie Cancer Care
Project Manager with MCL Projects (UK) Ltd
Recruitment Consultant with One Search
Regulatory Co-ordinator at Broad Oak Toiletries Ltd
Secondary School Teacher at University Academy Keighley
Supply Teacher for Monarch Education
Teaching Assistant at Darlington School of Mathematics and Science

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Reply 108
Original post by Newcastle University

I just replied to your message on our wall, but for anyone else who is interested you can see some Geography Alumni profiles here :smile:

The most recent data we have comes from 2014 grads. 6 months after graduating81% were in work or study, £20,000 was the average salary, with the typical range £16,000 - 21,000.

Hope that helps!

Persephone

Thanks it does!!!

I was also wondering do you think a year abroad is worth it because I'm slightly worried about it as when I would come back everyone would have left. Also by any chance do you know if people choose to take a 'gap year' and travel with friends after university?

Thank you
Original post by nadz97
Thanks it does!!!

I was also wondering do you think a year abroad is worth it because I'm slightly worried about it as when I would come back everyone would have left. Also by any chance do you know if people choose to take a 'gap year' and travel with friends after university?

Thank you

Oh definitely! :smile: Study abroad is really popular for Geography students, so chances are most your friends on the course would be doing the same thing! And some courses (eg Modern Languages) have a compulsory year abroad, so there'll be lots of students in the same situation and people you can ask for advice if you have any worries :smile:

I know a few people who have travelled after uni - depending on finances they might work full-time for a year and save up a bit first, or even apply for a job abroad like teaching English.

All the best

Persephone
Reply 110
Oh definitely! :smile: Study abroad is really popular for Geography students, so chances are most your friends on the course would be doing the same thing! And some courses (eg Modern Languages) have a compulsory year abroad, so there'll be lots of students in the same situation and people you can ask for advice if you have any worries :smile:

I know a few people who have travelled after uni - depending on finances they might work full-time for a year and save up a bit first, or even apply for a job abroad like teaching English.

All the best

Persephone

Just wanted to ask what activities are typically organised in freshers and are they mainly organised through accommodation ??
Would it be possible to see a first year Marketing N500 timetable? :smile:
Original post by nadz97
Just wanted to ask what activities are typically organised in freshers and are they mainly organised through accommodation ??

Hey

Thanks for getting in touch. Freshers’ Week at Newcastle University has been voted the best in the country, with over 15,000 daytime opportunities to take part in, as well as legendary night-time events.

It is organised by the Freshers' Week Organisers, who have recently been elected by our students. You can find out a little bit about them here: http://www.nusu.co.uk/news/article/6013/Organisers-get-off-to-flying-start/

The website is currently being redone but here are some blogs about Freshers' Week that you might find helpful: https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/index.php?s=freshers

Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina
Original post by NatalieUK
Would it be possible to see a first year Marketing N500 timetable? :smile:

Here's an example of what a normal week could look like:

Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina

Hope that helps!

Persephone

Hey Persephone, could you provide the same sort of data for the G401 Comp Sci course?

Thanks
Original post by TrojanH
Hey Persephone, could you provide the same sort of data for the G401 Comp Sci course?

Thanks

Sure thing :smile:

Again, this is from 2014 grads. 6 months after graduating 100% were in work, with an average salary of £27,583 (typical range £25,000 to £30,000).

And here were some of their roles:

Application Support Consultant for Hewlett Packard
Business Analyst at Dunbia Group
Entry Developer for Sage (UK) Limited
Graduate Java Developer at William Hill
Graduate Software Engineer for BT
Graduate Systems Engineer for RM Education Plc
IT Services Developer at Hewlett Packard
Software Developer at Bank of America
Software Developer for IBM UK Ltd
Technology Analyst at Goldman Sachs Group

Persephone
Original post by Mjourn
Hi everyone!

I am considering applying to the International Multimedia Journalism MA. Does anyone know anything about this course? Is it good?

Thanks!

You might find this blog helpful: https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/i-chose-masters/

Best wishes,

Christina
Sure thing :smile:

Again, this is from 2014 grads. 6 months after graduating 100% were in work, with an average salary of £27,583 (typical range £25,000 to £30,000).

And here were some of their roles:

Application Support Consultant for Hewlett Packard
Business Analyst at Dunbia Group
Entry Developer for Sage (UK) Limited
Graduate Java Developer at William Hill
Graduate Software Engineer for BT
Graduate Systems Engineer for RM Education Plc
IT Services Developer at Hewlett Packard
Software Developer at Bank of America
Software Developer for IBM UK Ltd
Technology Analyst at Goldman Sachs Group

Persephone

Awesome! Is this the same for the course without Industrial Placement, G400, too?
Original post by TrojanH
Awesome! Is this the same for the course without Industrial Placement, G400, too?

Figures for G400 are slightly different :smile:

Of the 2014 grads, 88% were in work or study and their average salary was £25,012 with a typical range of £19,000-£30,000. So quite a wide variation there!

Unfortunately I don't have specific job titles and employers for this cohort, although 82% of those in work were doing professional/managerial roles. Of those who were still studying, 23% were doing a research degree (eg MRes) and 38% were doing a taught degree (eg MSc).

Persephone
Hi, when do offers for Accommodation usually come out? Will we get an email notification? I have an unconditional offer that I firmed on the 3rd of May if that helps!

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending