The Student Room Group

Missed period but test says negative?

hey

im sorta worried i may be pregnant, i had sex with my boyfriend and we used protection but I'm 2 weeks late. ive been getting all the symptoms i would when your about to start your period but they seem worse, Ive been getting cramps for about a week now and my boobs are killing and I'm more emotional than normal, I'm clumsy, forgetful etc... I did a pregnancy test a few days ago but it came back negative, is this normal or is there a possibility I'm actually pregnant?

Thank you

(no silly answers please)
Reply 1
How long ago was it that you had sex? Tests are meant to be at their most accurate three weeks after conception (although I think most can detect earlier now days) so if it was less than three weeks after sex when you took the test it might be worth taking another. Otherwise you could go to your GP or local family planning/brook and ask if you could have a blood pregnancy test done to put your mind at ease. Try not to worry too much; periods can be late for a number of reasons (mine has been two weeks late a few times).
'Two weeks late' means a test is going to be valid - when did you take it.
Take another test, as you said that test was from a few days ago so it might read differently now. Also, you have to test the stick with your first pee of the morning so make sure you do so as using another pee sample can lead to a negative result.

If still negative, I would recommend visiting your GP and have them run a test. It might just be that your period is late (Mine was 1 month late before), and it can be disrupted due to a change in diet, increased exercise or stress. It is best to get it checked out anyway for peace of mind.

:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by gemmam
How long ago was it that you had sex? Tests are meant to be at their most accurate three weeks after conception (although I think most can detect earlier now days) so if it was less than three weeks after sex when you took the test it might be worth taking another. Otherwise you could go to your GP or local family planning/brook and ask if you could have a blood pregnancy test done to put your mind at ease. Try not to worry too much; periods can be late for a number of reasons (mine has been two weeks late a few times).

my period came today so I'm good :smile: thank you for your help
Reply 5
Original post by evalilyXOX
Take another test, as you said that test was from a few days ago so it might read differently now. Also, you have to test the stick with your first pee of the morning so make sure you do so as using another pee sample can lead to a negative result.

If still negative, I would recommend visiting your GP and have them run a test. It might just be that your period is late (Mine was 1 month late before), and it can be disrupted due to a change in diet, increased exercise or stress. It is best to get it checked out anyway for peace of mind.

:smile:

my period came today so its sorted now :smile: thank you for your help
Reply 6
Original post by unprinted
'Two weeks late' means a test is going to be valid - when did you take it.

I took the test a week ago, but my period came today so I'm okay, thank you for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest