The Student Room Group

(Pre-reply) Rejecting my insurance to apply to my firm through clearing?

Hi there, unfortunately I got rejected post-interview from the uni that would've been my firm (SGUL) but got accepted by Herts. (Paramedic science for both)

SGUL have confirmed that I will be able to reapply in clearing/adjustment, providing they have spaces. I'm doing an Access course, and when my application got sent off, I hadn't really done any modules.

I've now hit the entry requirements for both of these, and I'm over 50% beyond the entry requirements for SGUL, on track to have more than double the entry requirements (requirements of 18/45 @ Distinction, on track for 39/45 at Distinction, with the one Merit being one mark away from D) for it.

Is it a stupid idea to reject Herts and try for clearing? I know I could go for adjustment, but that involves waiting ~2 months extra, in which time many places could've been given away.

Thoughts?
Original post by JoeTSR
Hi there, unfortunately I got rejected post-interview from the uni that would've been my firm (SGUL) but got accepted by Herts. (Paramedic science for both)

SGUL have confirmed that I will be able to reapply in clearing/adjustment, providing they have spaces. I'm doing an Access course, and when my application got sent off, I hadn't really done any modules.

I've now hit the entry requirements for both of these, and I'm over 50% beyond the entry requirements for SGUL, on track to have more than double the entry requirements (requirements of 18/45 @ Distinction, on track for 39/45 at Distinction, with the one Merit being one mark away from D) for it.

Is it a stupid idea to reject Herts and try for clearing? I know I could go for adjustment, but that involves waiting ~2 months extra, in which time many places could've been given away.

Thoughts?

I think that's incredibly risky, yes there could be places in clearing but i've heard of it taking a couple of years to get a place on a paramedic course so i wouldnt do it myself.
Depends hopw much you wnat to o there and whether you cna wait a year for it.

If I really wnated to go there, then I would build up some rapport with the department and admissions, so thye knew what I was doing. Id find out whether they were full every year or whether they have had spare places. I'd get the boew of the course organiser and would go on the basis of just an admin person. You cnat get a promise from them but you cna get a better idea of what the true picture is. Then I would make the decision.
Reply 3
Don't do it unless you're willing to wait another year of you don't get a place through clearing. That said, if you're willing to wait write off a year because you prefer SGUL that much, then go for it, nothing worse than spending 3 or however many years at a place you don't like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I know nothing about Paramedic Sciences but you can Firm SGUL, then if you exceed their offer, apply to Herts via Adjustment without risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
I think that's incredibly risky, yes there could be places in clearing but i've heard of it taking a couple of years to get a place on a paramedic course so i wouldnt do it myself.

I think Herts, UEA and SGUL all had clearing places last year. I got interviews everywhere I applied, and my grades are good now (slightly above the requirements for Leeds Medicine, minus the chemistry portion). But will Herts take me back through clearing if they have spaces and I reject them? I did really well in my interview there, I think I was probably the best in the group, and I wouldn't be surprised if 5/6 of the group got places.
Original post by 999tigger
Depends hopw much you wnat to o there and whether you cna wait a year for it.

If I really wnated to go there, then I would build up some rapport with the department and admissions, so thye knew what I was doing. Id find out whether they were full every year or whether they have had spare places. I'd get the boew of the course organiser and would go on the basis of just an admin person. You cnat get a promise from them but you cna get a better idea of what the true picture is. Then I would make the decision.

They couldn't say much, and they tend to be a little disorganised, but they seemed generally positive about the concept. I do really really like SGUL.
Original post by drew48
Don't do it unless you're willing to wait another year of you don't get a place through clearing. That said, if you're willing to wait write off a year because you prefer SGUL that much, then go for it, nothing worse than spending 3 or however many years at a place you don't like.

I'm definitely worried about waiting another year, but I also really really want to go to SGUL :frown:

Original post by jneill
I know nothing about Paramedic Sciences but you can Firm SGUL, then if you exceed their offer, apply to Herts via Adjustment without risk.

It's SGUL I want, and they rejected me post-interview (it was my first MMI, it could've gone better, and I was one of the last interviewees, so no waiting list). The issue with going through adjustment is that I'll have to wait two months, by which time they could've easily given away a bunch of places.
(edited 7 years ago)
How old are you? Its a personal choice and depends on your aversion to risk. I would syill build some rapport with them, so they knew what I was doing. If it was me i'd take the risk and go and get some experience or earn money in the meantime.
Original post by JoeTSR
I think Herts, UEA and SGUL all had clearing places last year. I got interviews everywhere I applied, and my grades are good now (slightly above the requirements for Leeds Medicine, minus the chemistry portion). But will Herts take me back through clearing if they have spaces and I reject them? I did really well in my interview there, I think I was probably the best in the group, and I wouldn't be surprised if 5/6 of the group got places.

They couldn't say much, and they tend to be a little disorganised, but they seemed generally positive about the concept. I do really really like SGUL.

I'm definitely worried about waiting another year, but I also really really want to go to SGUL :frown:

It's SGUL I want, and they rejected me post-interview (it was my first MMI, it could've gone better, and I was one of the last interviewees, so no waiting list). The issue with going through adjustment is that I'll have to wait two months, by which time they could've easily given away a bunch of places.

Have SGUL confirmed that your rejection was solely based on your grades because if it was also based on how your interviewed i wouldnt risk clearing personally. There's a big risk herts wont take you back as you might look uncommitted to that uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending