The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by RhianNicoleM
I've had 24 hours worth of lessons but my instructor says I'll need 20 more, I know I'm not that bad of a driver and she hasn't really explained to me a plan and why she thinks it would take that long, any advice? You reckon I should try with someone else? I don't really like her car either, it's really touchy and I think she keeps pressing the clutch down for me, stressing me out whether or not to stay with her... Help! :smile:

I would be suspicious of any instructor who insists on 45hrs. My first instructor did this. She was with BSM and since I paid for a block of lessons upfront, she would waste hours and hours each day just sitting in the car and reading out theory textbooks to me, just to draw out the number of hours. I was fuming by the end of the first 10hr block because all we had got through in 5 lessons were left and right turns and she insisted that I buy another 40hrs of lessons upfront or I wouldn't stand a chance at passing the test! She was also mega stroppy and irritable and would screech at me that I was doing everything wrong all through the lesson, all round just a terrible teacher!

I dumped her and took a break over Christmas and finally managed to get a slot with the independent instructor whom I had wanted all along. She told me to book a test date after my very first lesson as she thought I only needed another 10hrs tops. I also paid her by cash at the end of each class, so if I felt that she had wasted loads of time I had the option to refuse to pay. But I never had to do this because she was always super professional and did a great job.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CHEETS
I would be suspicious of any instructor who insists on 45hrs. My first instructor did this. She was with BSM and since I paid for a block of lessons upfront, she would waste hours and hours each day just sitting in the car and reading out theory textbooks to me, just to draw out the number of hours. I was fuming by the end of the first 10hr block because all we had got through in 5 lessons were left and right turns and she insisted that I buy another 40hrs of lessons upfront or I wouldn't stand a chance at passing the test! She was also mega stroppy and irritable and would screech at me that I was doing everything wrong all through the lesson, all round just a terrible teacher!

I dumped her and took a break over Christmas and finally managed to get a slot with the independent instructor whom I had wanted all along. She told me to book a test date after my very first lesson as she thought I only needed another 10hrs tops. I also paid her by cash at the end of each class, so if I felt that she had wasted loads of time I had the option to refuse to pay. But I never had to do this because she was always super professional and did a great job.

I'd be cautious of just applying this to all instructors... I paid for blocks of lessons upfront with AA, but my instructor was very honest about how much time I needed. He even pushed me to book it in as soon as possible.

I do agree that this can happen - my oldest sister had the same problem as you... I think you just need to judge on where you feel you're at at the time... (Also with BSM actually!)

And doing only that in 5 lessons... not surprised you left her!
Reply 102
Original post by mobbsy91
I'd be cautious of just applying this to all instructors... I paid for blocks of lessons upfront with AA, but my instructor was very honest about how much time I needed. He even pushed me to book it in as soon as possible.

I do agree that this can happen - my oldest sister had the same problem as you... I think you just need to judge on where you feel you're at at the time... (Also with BSM actually!)

And doing only that in 5 lessons... not surprised you left her!

Oh absolutely. I went with BSM in the first place because my flatmate previously had a great experience with them (years before, different instructor). I just meant be cautious when paying upfront because this may happen and use best judgement if it seems the relationship isn't working out.
Original post by CHEETS
Oh absolutely. I went with BSM in the first place because my flatmate previously had a great experience with them (years before, different instructor). I just meant be cautious when paying upfront because this may happen and use best judgement if it seems the relationship isn't working out.

Ahh yeh gotcha! Fortunately with AA (not sure if same with BSM), you pay AA and then they pay the instructor - so when I bought a block of lessons (and got a discount because of it), even if I didn't like the instructor I could easily change without losing money, except perhaps for a lesson...

Then when I was out of blocked lessons on my account when near my test, I just paid cash direct, with a nice little discount!!
Original post by Spock's Socks
Good luck with your next lesson and keep us updated with how you get on with your driving. A lot of learner find roundabouts difficult. I'm not a fan of them but I hate stopping at traffic lights more than going round a roundabout. I'm always scared I'll stall at the traffic lights and people behind will beep their horns at me and that'll only fluster me more :colondollar:

haha I can understand that though im not too worried about other people. If i stall they will have to deal with it! Nobody was born knowing how to drive :smile:

I actually haven't stalled yet.. Maybe at a roundabout or traffic lights will be my time :colonhash:
Reply 105
I'm about to try out the practical driving test section on my theory disc. Don't know how helpful they can be for practical but worth a shot :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 106
I'm booking my practical this week! I've been told that the waiting lists at my local centre can be up to 16 weeks! Looks like I won't be passing before my bday then. I will be ready for my test at least by then :smile:
I'm booking my practical this week! I've been told that the waiting lists at my local centre can be up to 16 weeks! Looks like I won't be passing before my bday then. I will be ready for my test at least by then :smile:

loads of ppl have said their waiting lists are ridiculously long but when i did mine the weeks were all free!
Concentration/judgement/nerves.
Reply 109
Original post by cupcakes87
loads of ppl have said their waiting lists are ridiculously long but when i did mine the weeks were all free!

Looking at dates atm and guess when the first available appointment is...my bday! :laugh: can't do it then since I'll be away for the weekend then but that is bloody typical! Thinking it'll be mid July that I'll be sitting it then.
changing gears at highs speeds, i look down to change gear for a second and my instructor quickly holds the wheel lmao :frown:

overthinking to the point i forget the clutch controls, like when i come to a short stop, i forget how to move off again for like 3 seconds

oversteering
i only struggled with them three-four lane roundabouts, rest of it was like cutting a birthday cake
Original post by Elise213
changing gears at highs speeds, i look down to change gear for a second and my instructor quickly holds the wheel lmao :frown:

overthinking to the point i forget the clutch controls, like when i come to a short stop, i forget how to move off again for like 3 seconds

oversteering

The changing gears will become so natural with practice that you will end up not looking down!!

Sounds like just relaxing will help... Often it's the times where I drive and try and think about doing something, I **** it up, whereas when I'm not thinking too hard, it just goes smoothly!!
I found this tricky too. I was really lucky that on my test, I just stopped the car and waited for the examiner to say 'carry on' otherwise I would have failed, pretty much. :lol:
Just had my 5th lesson and it is with great sorrow to report that Betelgeuse sadly lost his longstanding battle to keep hold of his stalling virginity
The worst bit was i stalled from being parked up because i didnt release the handbrake. Mildly perturbing i tell thee

Apart from that it was a good lesson though!
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Just had my 5th lesson and it is with great sorrow to report that Betelgeuse sadly lost his longstanding battle to keep hold of his stalling virginity
The worst bit was i stalled from being parked up because i didnt release the handbrake. Mildly perturbing i tell thee

Apart from that it was a good lesson though!

Ahh that's annoying haha!! My first stall really annoyed me :biggrin:

Nice one though!!!
Original post by mobbsy91
Ahh that's annoying haha!! My first stall really annoyed me :biggrin:

Nice one though!!!

:biggrin: Did a lot more driving under pressure today, busy traffic, junctions and stuff so twas to be expected i guess. Next lesson is roundabouts which i am dreading so i dont think it would have lasted long anyway :tongue:
Reply 117
To those who have already sat their test or are about to sit it, did or are you using your own car or your instructors car for the test?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
:biggrin: Did a lot more driving under pressure today, busy traffic, junctions and stuff so twas to be expected i guess. Next lesson is roundabouts which i am dreading so i dont think it would have lasted long anyway :tongue:

Ahh fair enough! And roundabouts really aren't too bad!! Just a bit of practice on them and it becomes very natural about which lane to take etc...!
To those who have already sat their test or are about to sit it, did or are you using your own car or your instructors car for the test?

I used my own car. Don't forget, you won't be insured on your own car straight after you pass, until you ring your insurer, and they amend your policy! So, if you're going with your examiner in your own car, make sure you also take someone else who is insured on your car to drive you home!

I did it in my instructor's car, as I went with my instructor, it had the mirror and stuff already there for the examiner... We took it for a car wash before hand anyway, but the interior was also very clean...

My test isn't until August, but I'll be using my instructors car :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending