The Student Room Group

Exeter, Birmingham or Leeds for Graduate LLB

I have received three unconditional offers for the graduate entry LLB programme for these three universities. I'm having a little trouble deciding on which to pick. The ranking tables are confusing me a little. For example, the Guardian puts Exeter down at 54th which seems a little off?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Thank you.
Reply 1
Sorry to bump!

I'm leaning towards Birmingham as a friend mentioned it may be easier to establish city firm links there. Not entirely sure though.
Personally i would go to birmingham. The law school is well known and has good representation in the city. nice architecture too. leeds is also a good bet as is exeter, although i dont know as much about these 2
Birmingham (as well as Manchester and Bristol) have the largest legal and financial markets outside London. Then Leeds.

Exeter is a relatively small cathedral city with less firms. However all three are recruited from heavily by regional firms (less so by the top firms, i.e. magic circle, US, etc.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Trying to decide between York, Ex, and a few others myself. Let me know what you decide.

Exeter seems to rank well but the city is a bit of a problem. Birmingham seems to have a good city but a shoddy school. It's confusing.
Original post by Assan
Exeter seems to rank well but the city is a bit of a problem. Birmingham seems to have a good city but a shoddy school. It's confusing.

Birmingham ranks higher for law on every league table except one (where it is just one place lower).

More to the point, rankings mean little because these universities are all the same in terms of 'prestige', which is a small factor anyway compared to the legal market of the city, links to London, location preference, careers service, etc.
Reply 6
Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate it! Birmingham seems to be the consensus and there is a possibility of a £3k bursary compared to none offered by Exeter. I'll keep doing a bit of research
Reply 7
Original post by macromicro
Birmingham ranks higher for law on every league table except one (where it is just one place lower).

More to the point, rankings mean little because these universities are all the same in terms of 'prestige', which is a small factor anyway compared to the legal market of the city, links to London, location preference, careers service, etc.

...Notwithstanding the Guardian, which seems, prima facie, ridiculous...

I believe that Exeter is a more highly ranked university (not necessarily law program) and may also be more highly ranked internationally.

What matters is what type of career you are trying to bet on.... Local/regional or international? Etc
Original post by Assan
...Notwithstanding the Guardian, which seems, prima facie, ridiculous...

Re-read my post.

I believe that Exeter is a more highly ranked university (not necessarily law program) and may also be more highly ranked internationally.

There's no difference in prestige.
Reply 9
There is a ranking system - can't remember which - that looks at the reputation of the program with employers. Birmingham's LLB didn't score well at all.

By my count, Exeter usually outscores Birmingham - but not by enough to really matter. But keep in mind rankngs are one part of the story: perception is another. For instance, UCL's reputation is higher than its current rankng may suggest. I didn't compare Bham's LLB rep to Exeter's but I doubt/would hope it's not worse.
Original post by Assan
There is a ranking system - can't remember which - that looks at the reputation of the program with employers. Birmingham's LLB didn't score well at all.

By my count, Exeter usually outscores Birmingham - but not by enough to really matter. But keep in mind rankngs are one part of the story: perception is another. For instance, UCL's reputation is higher than its current rankng may suggest. I didn't compare Bham's LLB rep to Exeter's but I doubt/would hope it's not worse.

This?

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Thank you all for the replies, I do appreciate the feedback. I do feel that Exeter as a university, but not necessarily the law department, may hold a better name for itself. On the other hand, would it be fair to say that Birmingham may have better prospects for securing a city vac scheme? The dream would be securing a big city TC, so I'm wondering if building up links and experience may be easier to do in Birmingham.
Reply 12
Original post by Neptuner
Thank you all for the replies, I do appreciate the feedback. I do feel that Exeter as a university, but not necessarily the law department, may hold a better name for itself. On the other hand, would it be fair to say that Birmingham may have better prospects for securing a city vac scheme? The dream would be securing a big city TC, so I'm wondering if building up links and experience may be easier to do in Birmingham.

I'm betting on Birmingham, the city, as well. I received offers from Birmingham, Exeter, York, and Warwick but I've settled on Warwick partly because of the city of Birmingham. I think there will be a greater range, and quality, of work opportunities in Birmingham than in York or Cornwall.

Not that one. It was a rankings site where you focus in on the course, and then look at metrics like employer perception and academic reputation. Wish I could remember what it is.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending