The Student Room Group

If there is a god, why are some people born disabled?

Scroll to see replies

If God exists, then he believes that some races are superior to others.
Original post by fastandfurious
In Hinduism, disabilities are believed to be linked to “karma”, sins that have been committed in past lives.

That's such a bad way to look at it.
Original post by AhmedMA99
Life would be too easy if we had everything preserved for us.
God wants us to feel thankful for what we have so he tests
us with disabilities, illness, poorness etc..
Some people have more than what we have, some have less.
That's just how life works. You have to work for your
success. Nothing is served on a golden plate.
Sometimes these disabilities are a punishment for
doing something bad or maybe just to remind us
of thanking God for what we have.
In conclusion, God wants us to work hard in our
lives and thank him for everything either it being waking up
in the morning or going to sleep in the night.
Maybe you can think about all the poor and homeless people
all over the world with no beds to sleep on.
If God gave everyone everything, no one would
thank God for what he have.
Sorry for the long post, but I had to type this.

Yes your god gave my cousin muscular dystrophy when he was born because of his "past sins" as a punishment. Despite not being born yet. He's given him a test, despite the fact he can barely even move and needs to be fed at 30. He'll likely be dead in 5 years. GG god, nice test.
Seriously this is one of the most insulting things I've read on here, trying to justify disability like the people deserve it or something. Seriously pathetic.
Original post by Zargabaath
Yes your god gave my cousin muscular dystrophy when he was born because of his "past sins" as a punishment. Despite not being born yet. He's given him a test, despite the fact he can barely even move and needs to be fed at 30. He'll likely be dead in 5 years. GG god, nice test.
Seriously this is one of the most insulting things I've read on here, trying to justify disability like the people deserve it or something. Seriously pathetic.

It's such a disgusting thing to ever say to someone with a disability.

Firstly, I am sorry for your cousin, hopefully he'll recover soon.
My cousin is ill as well, he has leukemia, he is 2 years old. Hopefully he'll make it as well.
Secondly, Disabilities and related stuff, are gene related as well, so it is usually just a disease. And even if it was a test, it wouldn't be directed to the child, but the parents. God wants to test how tolerant the parents are, how will they react, test their love to their child. Lastly, I want to wish that one day we will have a world free from such diseases, and hopefully your cousin gets well soon. My prayers are with him. Peace.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AhmedMA99
Firstly, I am sorry for your cousin, hopefully he'll recover soon.
My cousin is ill as well, he has leukemia, he is 2 years old. Hopefully he'll make it as well.
Secondly, Disabilities and related stuff, are gene related as well, so it is usually just a disease. And even if it was a test, it wouldn't be directed to the child, but the parents. God wants to test how tolerant the parents are, how will they react, test their love to their child. Lastly, I want to wish that one day we will have a world free from such diseases, and hopefully your cousin gets well soon. My prayers are with him. Peace.

Again, if God is all-knowing then a test isn't possible. And this justification makes your god look even worse, giving an innocent child a horrible disease just to play out some sick, twisted test? Yuck, Allah sounds worse than Satan.

Any chance you're an atheist :beard:
Original post by Freudian Slit
X

:hmmm:
A 'god' wanting to provide a test, is probably just as legible as said god just... loves a bit of schadenfreude
In all seriousness, it's usually possible to tell an atheist apart from a theist based upon their capitalisation (or not) of the word 'god' :yep:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Again, if God is all-knowing then a test isn't possible. And this justification makes your god look even worse, giving an innocent child a horrible disease just to play out some sick, twisted test? Yuck, Allah sounds worse than Satan.

Lol like how he says hope your cousin will be better soon, pro-tip, he is unlikely to see any improvement unless medical advances cure him (to Allah's disdain I imagine), I did a clinical trial relating to some medication, was interesting. Though you have to ask if God gave him the disease, how would he "get better soon", pretty arbitrary for God to stick a disease to cripple you for your first 14 years say, then remove it, it's like playing the Sims if you were a sadist.

Anyway throwing a curveball in to the debate...

We're asking why kids are born disabled, but let me add to this debate an issue over cancer. Now as Gods chosen species, you'd think he'd help us out right? Yet almost 1 in 3 of us is at risk of cancer at some point in their lives. But then you have the damn Naked Mole Rat, which pretty much cannot get cancer at all due to how much better their bodies respond to the errors with cause uncontrolled cell division, why don't we have error free ribosomes like them? Where's our more sensitive P16 anti-crowding gene? It's scandalous! Don't get me started on the relative longevity, if our organs could function for as long as theirs do, we'd probably end up living 200+ years easy and not have a theoretical max lifespan of around 120.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
:hmmm:

What mate.
Original post by Asuna Yuuki
In all seriousness, it's usually possible to tell an atheist apart from a theist based upon their capitalisation (or not) of the word 'god' :yep:

The words actually mean different things though:

"god" is a noun (i.e. "I believe in a god")

"God" is a name, usually in reference to the Abrahamic god (i.e. "God told me to do that")
The words actually mean different things though:

"god" is a noun (i.e. "I believe in a god")

"God" is a name, usually in reference to the Abrahamic god (i.e. "God told me to do that")

Generally theists don't tend to refer to 'a god' though - only as God or Allah or whatever the respective name would be for the religion :dontknow:
Generally theists don't tend to refer to 'a god' though - only as God or Allah or whatever the respective name would be for the religion :dontknow:

Doesn't change the fact the words have different meanings. Even an atheist should capitalise "God" if he/she is saying "I don't believe in God" if they want to be grammatically correct :dontknow:
Doesn't change the fact the words have different meanings. Even an atheist should capitalise "God" if he/she is saying "I don't believe in God" if they want to be grammatically correct :dontknow:

Ah, I just realised the point I meant to make at the beginning (about His vs his) whoops :rofl:

But it still feels like I'm acknowledging his existence if I use the name :dontknow:
Original post by Hydeman
You're supposed to be on hiatus, mate. :h:

Hydeman Offline
Away for exams.<<<< :rolleyes:

:h:

What is rep?

^^^

:no:
Ah, I just realised the point I meant to make at the beginning (about His vs his) whoops :rofl:

But it still feels like I'm acknowledging his existence if I use the name :dontknow:

Oh and of course if there was, and even if atheists refer to God, it definitely has to be 'his' or 'him' doesn't it. :rolleyes:

smh Asuna I thought you knew better. Girl power and all that :shh:
Original post by Freudian Slit
smh Asuna I thought you knew better. Girl power and all that :shh:

I'm sorry, I bow down to your wisdom O great female one :adore: :colondollar:

Strange, I don't think any atheist would say they're acknowledging God's existence by capitalising the word, just acknowledging the concept.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending