The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (6/5/16) - Directed Writing and Composition

Sup'

Couldn't find a thread for the Directed Writing and Composition on the 6th May, so I decided to create one.

Its worth 40% for those of you doing syllabus code: 0522.
- 2 sections (50): Directed Writing (25) + Composition (25).
--- Find out more from attached file (syllabus page)

Could we please avoid asking for grade boundaries and such, and instead focus on technique/tips we need to absorb for the exam - and post any queries you have concerning the exam.

(I'll be posting my own advice on here closer to the date)

DONTSWEATIT

Scroll to see replies

Do you all plan your compositions before the exam, or do you just go in and think of them on the spot?
I have my story planned out and I know exactly what I'm going to write, it's also the same story that I got 24/25 on the mock exam so I think I'm on to a winner. All I have to do is adjust it slightly to fit the question, which should be 'a story with the title...', 'a story that begins with the line...' or 'a story that ends with the line...'

I had it planned out for the mock exam, and it only needed the tiniest adjustment to fit with the final line of 'and I knew things would be different from now on'.

Of course if I absolutely can't fit in my story with either of the questions, I can just do a description, but writing a story is much more fun! :tongue:
Also, does anyone seriously write 250-350 words for the directed writing and 350-400 for the composition?
I'll probably write at least 700-800 for the directed writing and over 1000 for the composition.
Reply 3
I teach the 0500 syllabus - for the students on this course, P3 is worth 50%, so...no pressure :tongue:
Do feel free to ask if you have questions.
Reply 4
Original post by Angelil
I teach the 0500 syllabus - for the students on this course, P3 is worth 50%, so...no pressure :tongue:
Do feel free to ask if you have questions.

For narrative, do you think thats its easier to write in first or third person?

Also for question 1, is it mainly point marked (like in paper 2 question 1) or is it marked based on how well you develop points?

Thanks!
Reply 5
First or third person doesn't matter for narrative - it just comes down to your preference.

Q1 is around a 50/50 split for reading and writing skills.
If we are asked to write a letter, we are usually instructed to: Begin with Dear So-and -so. Are there any actual marks for writing the sender's and receiver's imaginary address, and the date, or is it best to miss all that out and actually start with Dear So-and-so....?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
No need to do date/address.
Original post by Angelil
No need to do date/address.

Thank you!
Original post by Angelil
First or third person doesn't matter for narrative - it just comes down to your preference.

Q1 is around a 50/50 split for reading and writing skills.

Just to clarify your first point, if I am writing a descriptive piece and the question says 'you are...' do I have to answer 'I' or can I say 'she/he' in third person?

Also, do you know how strictly they mark you down for going over the word limit? It's confusing because in Paper 2 our teacher encouraged us to go over the limit, but in this one she marked us down in our mock if we went too far over.

I just feel that in order to express everything I want to say, at least for Q1, I'm going to have to write more than '1+1/2 sides' or '350 words'...

Thanks!
For descriptive I would actually recommend 2nd person over first or third - it is more immersive for the reader. (For this reason I also recommend using the present tense.)

Don't worry about going over.
Am I correct in assuming that the examiner will mark everything we write and not penalise us (apart from the summary of course) if we go over the word limit?
Yes :smile:
That's great then, thanks for the reassurance :smile:
Reply 14
[QUOTE="Angelil;64579823"]I teach the 0500 syllabus - for the students on this course, P3 is worth 50%, so...no pressure :tongue:
Do feel free to ask if you have questions.[/QUOTE

my teacher advices me to use the evidence from the passage however there are times where there is less evidence and I have to make up facts that is believable is that the correct way to do it
Original post by Geeko

my teacher advices me to use the evidence from the passage however there are times where there is less evidence and I have to make up facts that is believable is that the correct way to do it

You shouldn't make anything up that has nothing to do with the text, no. There's a difference between inferring (which they do want you to do) and simply making things up that aren't there.

Sorry to be negative, but you have to believe me when I say this won't work. Senior examiners will meet before marking starts and discuss the student responses and mark scheme in detail. They will decide during their meetings whether or not to lower the grade boundaries and no such petitions will be taken into consideration.

My opinion as a teacher and examiner is that on the whole this paper was fairly nice (especially compared to last year) and that the grade boundaries are unlikely to go down very much. Even in Q2, which I admit was a bit tricky, the requisite 4 examples per paragraph were there. The relative difficulty of Q2 will very likely be balanced out by good student performance in Q1 and Q3, which were nice.

Once results are out, the usual courses of action will of course be open to you, such as applying for a re-mark, the school applying for a report on the performance of a group of candidates, the school requesting a copy of the paper, and/or the candidate resitting the exam in November 2016 or June 2017.

I would advise you to concentrate your energies instead on your remaining examinations.

I genuinely laughed out loud at the fact that you thought it would be in any way productive to waste your time petitioning Cambridge to change the grade boundaries. What do you think they're going to do? "Ooh look, some people thought the exam was a bit difficult and decided to make a petition. Let's just give them all A*s for effort!"
You've made my day, mate!
Original post by TheBirder
Do you all plan your compositions before the exam, or do you just go in and think of them on the spot?
I have my story planned out and I know exactly what I'm going to write, it's also the same story that I got 24/25 on the mock exam so I think I'm on to a winner. All I have to do is adjust it slightly to fit the question, which should be 'a story with the title...', 'a story that begins with the line...' or 'a story that ends with the line...'

I had it planned out for the mock exam, and it only needed the tiniest adjustment to fit with the final line of 'and I knew things would be different from now on'.

Of course if I absolutely can't fit in my story with either of the questions, I can just do a description, but writing a story is much more fun! :tongue:

What time do you have your exam?
Original post by Star29081999
What time do you have your exam?

In the afternoon slot tomorrow (starting at 2).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending