The Student Room Group

Circle theorems

Can anyone help me to understand circle theorems or give a websites/video that would be useful?
Thankyou!
Reply 1
Original post by Luce2000
Can anyone help me to understand circle theorems or give a websites/video that would be useful?
Thankyou!

I'll teach you! :-)
Reply 2
Yes, Anything would be appreciated!
Reply 3

Spoiler

Let's start with Theorem 1 which is Angle at the Centre.

image.png
This is the fact which you need to learn:
The angle that is at the centre is twice as big as the angle at the circumeference made by the same arc or chord.

What this means is where you can see 2x, that is the centre and that angle will be twice the size of angle x so if you know what angle x is then you times it by 2 to get the angle at the centre.

The exam question for this theorem will look pretty much like that.

Now here is an example:

Attachment not found

:smile:
Reply 4
Thankyou so much,That makes alot more sense now!
Reply 5
Would the example be 58?
Reply 6
Original post by Luce2000
Would the example be 58?

Yup, I believe so.

Watch this video for the other theorems too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDqELk2xCPU

Just post if there's anything you need clarifying or if you have a question. :-)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by _Xenon_
Yup, I believe so.

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDqELk2xCPU

Just post if there's anything you need clarifying or if you have a question. :-)

The student has become the teacher. :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
The student has become the teacher. :lol:

Zaken you gotta help me with functions dude, lol. :biggrin:
I know my circle theorems haha :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by _Xenon_
Zaken you gotta help me with functions dude, lol. :biggrin:
I know my circle theorems haha :tongue:

We've been waiting for you to post an example question in your thread. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
We've been waiting for you to post an example question in your thread. :tongue:

Oops, I'll do that now. I was busy 'procrastinating' on TSR! :angry:
I hate circle theorems too :biggrin: what I found worked was making big A3 mind maps and splitting it up for each circle theorem, and drawing it out with an explanation. It really depends on how you learn, some prefer doing practice exam papers, but others prefer to use examples, I have a maths revision guide, and they explained them in a really complicated way, but if you google it and try and dumb it down (GCSE bitesize works well) then that really helps. I literally sat with my mum at the table for an hour really frustrated because I didn't get it going through all the websites looking for it until I found a reasonable explanation that I understood, and now I get it (mostly) but just try and find lots of different ways that they are explained until you find one you understand. Hope this helps:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest