The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TercioOfParma
Depends what you want to program. Do you know what language you want to learn or just want something good to start with?

Tell me what to start with and where do I go
Read and complete this book and you will have learned Python 2.7.

http://www.brookeweston.org/students/downloads/learn-python-the-hard-way.pdf

Instead of going to exercise 0, go here and install 2.7.11

https://www.python.org/downloads/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ImagineCats
Pls no I mean do you have to have a certain software to programme stuff???? So rn on my laptop if I thought eyy wanna do some coding woo where would I go to to do the coding? Would I just straight away start typing and it would all happen?? This has always confused me I'm a beginner #dontjudge pls

Most common software to use would be Eclipse. Its like Notepad.
I know Java and HTML+CSS?
What would you recommend to learn next? Python?
Original post by Mystery.

I would say C, since it is the root of most relevant imperative languages
Top kek at calling JSON a language. It's a data format.
How can I fit 32 booleans in an int ?
Reply 27
What have you built?
Could you detail the purpose of each coding language? e.g. HTML/CSS - websites
Original post by DontSweatIt

HTML details the structure of a page. CSS is used to style elements on the page.

Ie.
HTML: <button type="submit" id="my-button">This is a button</button>
CSS: #my-button{ color: green }
...produces a button with green text.
Original post by ImagineCats
Tell me what to start with and where do I go

Go to codecademy, best intro you can get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do you burden yourself with C? Is your work that low-level to justify using it instead of another, less-abstract language? Why not make the switch to C++ considering you already have experiences with an OOP language? Also, why have you made an effort to learn low-level general purpose, scripting and web-development languages instead of focusing on a specific type?

Python. I wouldn't say C is obsolete (still a huge market for C programmers), however many other languages would be friendly, more intuitive and relevant to you. Python is often heralded as the perfect beginner's language -- it's easy, the syntax is simply, and it doesn't simply act a pre-cursor to 'better' or more complex languages considering how widely-used it is.

Why don't you learn something like JavaScript to make your HTML more interesting?
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Top kek at calling JSON a language. It's a data format.

Eh better than nothing, still somewhat related and very very useful

Original post by CarlTheCuck
How can I fit 32 booleans in an int ?

Are you kidding me?

Original post by VannR
What have you built?

All kinds of stuff, I think I said on the first page. Mostly games, some generators, standard algorithms, attempted to write an OS once. Bunch of stuff basically.

Of the ones I have listed in the OP? Most of them are general purpose languages, JSON is for data.

Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Why do you burden yourself with C? Is your work that low-level to justify using it instead of another, less-abstract language? Why not make the switch to C++ considering you already have experiences with an OOP language? Also, why have you made an effort to learn low-level general purpose, scripting and web-development languages instead of focusing on a specific type?

People ask me this a lot. It is mostly because It has a tiny footprint in code so I can write things for embedded systems when I want to, C is on almost everything,it has a tiny memory footprint, and has libraries for almost everything. I also know the language best.
Are you kidding me?

YOU'RE A WHITE MALE

caps
Original post by Princepieman
Go to codecademy, best intro you can get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Signed up woo Fsociety here I come
Mostly games, love writing generators for things. The other day I wrote a program which generates gods and goddesses. Also wrote up the typical algorithms(QSort, BSort, random images). The biggest project I have ever written was a war simulation game, and that was about 15-20k counting script, 6k without script.

I made the mistake of starting with C++. It was a baptism of fire and took me 6 months with my 12 year old brain. I revisted programming later again with Python, which I learned in 3 days.

Buy a book, sit down with a few six packs of mountain dew, and only get up for meals and to sleep until you have finished the book. Then, build projects based on what you have learned to consolidate it in your mind.

U forgot doritos

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you wanted something more specific:

Java:
The code runs on something called a virtual machine. This allows you to use the same compiled code on any operating system (so long as the computer has Java). It's pretty general purpose, so you can do many things with it. It's also an object-oriented language, so you can do OOP on it (i.e. play around with classes n stuff).

C:
Old but gold. Good for dealing with low level things as it gives you control over pointers and allocation and the like. Otherwise pretty general, but can be tricky to learn.

HTML/CSS:
Not programming, just mark up and styling. For making web PAGES, and NOT websites. Websites the likes of which you are thinking of involve FAR more than just HTML, as HTML can't deal with complex logic etc.

JSON:
Not a language again... It's just a data format for storing and changing data.

Python:
My personal favourite. A high level language with a really simple syntax. General purpose again, but is good for scripting in particular and testing logic.

C++:
C meets OOP.
Original post by donutellme
If you wanted something more specific:

Java:
The code runs on something called a virtual machine. This allows you to use the same compiled code on any operating system (so long as the computer has Java). It's pretty general purpose, so you can do many things with it. It's also an object-oriented language, so you can do OOP on it (i.e. play around with classes n stuff).

C:
Old but gold. Good for dealing with low level things as it gives you control over pointers and allocation and the like. Otherwise pretty general, but can be tricky to learn.

HTML/CSS:
Not programming, just mark up and styling. For making web PAGES, and NOT websites. Websites the likes of which you are thinking of involve FAR more than just HTML, as HTML can't deal with complex logic etc.

JSON:
Not a language again... It's just a data format for storing and changing data.

Python:
My personal favourite. A high level language with a really simple syntax. General purpose again, but is good for scripting in particular and testing logic.

C++:
C meets OOP.

I agree with all of those save for C++. C++ is orders of magnitude more complicated than C in simply how many new features there are, even if there is a lot of overlap. You are also quite limited in how many platforms you can develop for (you can kiss a lot of embedded systems goodbye if you use C++ for instance).

Latest