The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

I now have interview complete on clinical bioinformatics. Considering I did really bad I'm not taking it to mean anything :/
Interview complete for cardiac science. Not too optimistic though 😁. Did anyone get unsuccessful ones? Also any respiratory people heard back? Mine still says interview booked for that
Original post by P.Lavinia
Uhm no actually I thought 'Interview complete' just means we didn't fail any stations but might still not have scored high enough for an offer. "Interview unsuccessful' would have meant no hope left :smile:

I just spoke with them and it seems that interview complete at this stage just means that we attented the interview - if it doesn't change after the offers are made, then it means to wait- the lady said that irrespective of the rankings, everyone should have this status unless they failed one stations-
Reply 1223
Original post by Nightwing_
Ah right. I never knew that.

It does seem like there seems to be drives to get girls interested in subjects like physics and maths, rightly so if they tend to be dominated by boys. But I kind of feel the same should be done for boys with Biology if that is the case. Anyway, this is all pretty irrelevant for us at the moment!!

Even the biological sciences (I'm an academic neuroscience researcher) are dominated by men in the upper echelons. The drop off of female scientists as you progress up the pay scales is astonishing.
Reply 1224
Original post by Nightwing_
Wow, was just looking at last years thread (as you can see I'm really starting to obsess over this now!!!!!). It looks like you needed an interview score of at least 40 to get on, I think some with more places went a little lower, but they were definitely up near the 40 mark! That is like every interviewer giving you a 4 at each station, I mean I just can't see how that is possible, at least not for me anyway!!! Will try and remain positive until I get results, but just made me realise just how difficult it is to get on!!!

I think you,'re forgetting about the communication score. The overall score is out of 80 so a 40 is like every interviewer giving you 2.5 for every aspect of scoring (i think).
Original post by FUNEX?
I think you,'re forgetting about the communication score. The overall score is out of 80 so a 40 is like every interviewer giving you 2.5 for every aspect of scoring (i think).

Someone said they add up the communication and divide it by 4, so the communication bit is worth 10 marks not 40 :/
I thought last year was by far the worst interview I've ever had in my life and still scraped a 34 so 40 isn't unachievable!
Original post by DuckyMinotaur
Someone said they add up the communication and divide it by 4, so the communication bit is worth 10 marks not 40 :/

No, every interviewer gives a communication score out of 5. With 8 interviewers (2 for each station) you would get a total of 40 marks for communication
Original post by AnimeWizard
No, every interviewer gives a communication score out of 5. With 8 interviewers (2 for each station) you would get a total of 40 marks for communication

You get this as total score but then it is divided by 4 so that communication is a max of 10 marks, giving 50 in total. I had an interview last year and that is the way it worked then, I requested the feedback so got the notes/total etc. It might have been that communication was worth more in the past.

Either way it doesn't make much difference to us at the moment, just got to sit back and wait out the last few days the best we can! I am not coping well with the wait!
Original post by FUNEX?

Original post by DuckyMinotaur

This guys has it right. They all score you on communication but that then gets averaged to give you a maximum of 10 then 10 from each station, so max score is 50!
Had my cardiac science interview on the 25th still waiting.......
Also anyone know how we get access to feedback????
Original post by Cardiology30
Had my cardiac science interview on the 25th still waiting.......

I'm sure it doesn't mean anything other than they're still making their way through everyone!

Also anyone know how we get access to feedback????

You fill in a form and send a check for £10. You can email the nshcs and ask them for the link to the form.
Yeah I'm sure they are just still working through them! Thanks 4 the advice on getting feedback :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1234
Original post by welly909
I'm sure it doesn't mean anything other than they're still making their way through everyone!

You fill in a form and send a check for £10. You can email the nshcs and ask them for the link to the form.

Did you get feedback? Was it helpful?
Yeah I'm sure they are just still working through them! Thanks 4 the advice on getting feedback :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by nymv
Did you get feedback? Was it helpful?

I actually didn't. They told me to send my request to the London Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education office. I sent off about a week before the end of March and got an email back to say that they 'do not believe that the Operations Department of Health Education South London holds the data that you have requested.'

I'm not sure whether that was because it had been destroyed as it was almost a year since my interview (I think I read somewhere that they keep it for a year?) or because it never made it to the London office from the NSHCS in Birmingham for some reason.
Just got the 'Interview Complete' email for Vascular too! (26th April)
Mines changed to unsuccessful :frown: I actually thought I did well on the interviews aside from one question. Oh well I'm gonna have to swallow it down now. Good luck to everyone else hope you guys hear better news than I did
Mines changed to unsuccessful :frown: I actually thought I did well on the interviews aside from one question. Oh well I'm gonna have to swallow it down now. Good luck to everyone else hope you guys hear better news than I did

Sorry to hear that! You still did so well to even get to interview!

Do you think you're going to try again next year?

Oh no :frown: what was that for? Such a shame after all the effort put in, but it is so competitive to get to this stage so you've done really well by just doing that. Must have some great chunks of text to use in future applications too.

Quick Reply