The Student Room Group

FP1 matrix question

2016-05-04 (1).png
So this type of question is my main problem in FP1.
In Q4c, why R=QP but not R=PQ? What is the difference between them?
Reply 1
Original post by alesha98
2016-05-04 (1).png
So this type of question is my main problem in FP1.
In Q4c, why R=QP but not R=PQ? What is the difference between them?

Think of it like a function. A matrix is a "function" that you feed it in a point and it gives out a point.

So QP = Q(P), that is you feed Q the "point"/"matrix" P and not the other way around, basically think of it like compositions of functions.

Is f(g(x))f(g(x)) the same thing as g(f(x))g(f(x))? Hell nah!

In the question, it says T (R) is the transform U (P) followed by V (Q).

That is, the transform T takes some point xx, you then put it through the function/transform "P" to get P(x)P(x), this is the point. Now you take this new point and you put it in your new function/transform "Q" to get Q(P(x)). Just like function composition.

You then drop the brackets and remove the "x", of course, so: R = QP is P followed by Q.

Does that make sense? I can explain more if you'd like. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Think of it like a function. A matrix is a "function" that you feed it in a point and it gives out a point.

So QP = Q(P), that is you feed Q the "point"/"matrix" P and not the other way around, basically think of it like compositions of functions.

Is f(g(x))f(g(x)) the same thing as g(f(x))g(f(x))? Hell nah!

In the question, it says T (R) is the transform U (P) followed by V (Q).

That is, the transform T takes some point xx, you then put it through the function/transform "P" to get P(x)P(x), this is the point. Now you take this new point and you put it in your new function/transform "Q" to get Q(P(x)). Just like function composition.

You then drop the brackets and remove the "x", of course, so: R = QP is P followed by Q.

Does that make sense? I can explain more if you'd like. :smile:

I am so sorry, but i still dont get it :frown:
Reply 3
I am so sorry, but i still dont get it :frown:

If we have the function f(x)f(x) and the function g(x)g(x), how would you write down "f(x) composed with g(x)"?
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
If we have the function f(x)f(x) and the function g(x)g(x), how would you write down "f(x) composed with g(x)"?

hmm i dont know ... is it in C1 or C2 syllabus?
Reply 5

I don't really know how to break it down in any simpler way ('cause I'm dumb). If you want a more systematic rule, you could just go:

QP is P followed by Q.
PQ is Q followed by P.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6

The easiest way to show they're not the same is by doing the calculation of both. Do this and you should get different answers
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
I don't really know how to break it down in any simpler way ('cause I'm dumb). If you want a more systematic rule, you could just go:

QP is Q followed by P.
PQ is P followed by Q.

So in this question, UV = T, so i thought it would be PQ= R, because P represents U and Q represents V. But i know i am wrong?
Reply 8
So in this question, UV = T, so i thought it would be PQ= R, because P represents U and Q represents V. But i know i am wrong?

No, in this question it's U followed by V. That is, U first and then V second.

And the second one comes first, (I know it's weird, but that's how it is):

So it's VU = T.

As to why the second one comes first, well, you'll need to re-read my first post.
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
No, in this question it's U followed by V. That is, U first and then V second.

And the second one comes first, (I know it's weird, but that's how it is):

So it's VU = T.

As to why the second one comes first, well, you'll need to re-read my first post.

Do you know what is this rule or topic called, so i can look it up on youtube?
Reply 10
Do you know what is this rule or topic called, so i can look it up on youtube?

This video explains it really well. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken
This video explains it really well. :smile:

Thankyou for your time :smile:
Reply 12
Thankyou for your time :smile:

You're welcome. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken

QP is Q followed by P.
PQ is P followed by Q.

The video is really clear , and i think QP is not Q followed by P. It should be P followed by Q :smile:
Reply 14
The video is really clear , and i think QP is not Q followed by P. It should be P followed by Q :smile:

Yep, you're right. That was me in my haze of tiredness, I'll correct it now - glad the video was useful.
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
Yep, you're right. That was me in my haze of tiredness, I'll correct it now - glad the video was useful.

yes thankyou for helping when u are tired, that was very helpful.
Reply 16
yes thankyou for helping when u are tired, that was very helpful.

No problem. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest