The Student Room Group

Xenon Maths Help Thread!

Hi

I need help with Maths and I can only ask here on The Student Room for help/support. I didn't want to annoy people by making threads daily so should I just ask in one thread (like this).
(See latest post)

Thanks for your help. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by _Xenon_
image.jpeg
I need help with Maths and I can only ask here on The Student Room for help/support. I didn't want to annoy people by making threads daily so should I just ask in one thread (like this) or do you not mind if I make loads of threads with loads of maths questions?

OK please can someone guide me through answering this question? (Image included).

Btw I know how to add, subtract and divide fractions, etc. but I get confused what they want with these type of worded questions...

Thanks for your help.

I'll give you a similar easier question:

A bag of balls contains red and blue balls as well as other colours. 1/2 of the balls are red and 1/4 are blue. How many are not red or blue?

Answer : 1/2 + 1/4 = 3/4

So 3/4 of the balls are either red or blue.

1 - 3/4 = 1/4

So 1/4 of the balls are not red or blue.

Try and do a similar thing for this question. Post your working if you get stuck.
Reply 2
Original post by _Xenon_
image.jpeg
I need help with Maths and I can only ask here on The Student Room for help/support. I didn't want to annoy people by making threads daily so should I just ask in one thread (like this) or do you not mind if I make loads of threads with loads of maths questions?

It's fine if you keep all your questions in this thread. Others have done this in the past.
Reply 3
Original post by notnek
It's fine if you keep all your questions in this thread. Others have done this in the past.

Oh OK, thank you and I can just tag you in the posts so you'll know when I have a new question. :smile:

Original post by notnek
I'll give you a similar easier question:

A bag of balls contains red and blue balls as well as other colours. 1/2 of the balls are red and 1/4 are blue. How many are not red or blue?

Answer : 1/2 + 1/4 = 3/4

So 3/4 of the balls are either red or blue.

1 - 3/4 = 1/4

So 1/4 of the balls are not red or blue.

Try and do a similar thing for this question. Post your working if you get stuck.

Thanks I'll have a go at it now.
Reply 4
Original post by _Xenon_
Oh OK, thank you and I can just tag you in the posts so you'll know when I have a new question. :smile:

Just post in the thread and whoever is free will help.

(Do note that if you want to post a new thread asking a question, that's fine as well, just make sure you don't post a new thread and ask the same question in here).
Reply 5
Original post by _Xenon_

No need. If I'm online then I will look at your thread and respond to your question if I have time.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Just post in the thread and whoever is free will help.

(Do note that if you want to post a new thread asking a question, that's fine as well, just make sure you don't post a new thread and ask the same question in here).

Yep thanks.

Original post by notnek
No need. If I'm online then I will look at your thread and respond to your question if I have time.

OK thanks, hopefully I still get fast responses. :-)
Reply 7
FUNCTIONS is confusing!!!!
Any specific question?
Reply 9
Original post by _Xenon_

Which specific part? Post an example question.
Original post by _Xenon_

Like transforming graphs?
Original post by _Xenon_

Do you mean things such as:
f(x+a) translates graph horizontally by -a
?
Reply 12
Original post by notnek
Which specific part? Post an example question.

Original post by thefatone
Like transforming graphs?

Original post by surina16
Do you mean things such as:
f(x+a) translates graph horizontally by -a
?

OK sorry about thag, I'll post one in a couple of minutes
Reply 13
image.jpegFunctions
Reply 14
Original post by _Xenon_
Functions

Do you understand how to do f(a)f(a)? That is, if you have some function f(x)=2xf(x) = 2x (let's say) then when you want to evaluate f(2)f(2), you just need to replace anywhere you see an "x" with a "2". So: f(2)=2(2)=4f(2) = 2(2) = 4.

In a more complicated example; f(x)=2xx+4f(x) = \frac{2x}{x+4}, what is f(6)f(6)? You just need to replace the x's with a 6; that is: f(6)=2(6)6+4=1210f(6) = \frac{2(6)}{6+4} = \frac{12}{10}.

So, in your case, what is f(7.5)f(7.5)?
Reply 15
3/(2*7.5+5)

= 3/(15+5)

= 3/20

= 0.15

Not sure but if it is right what about question which say which domain should be excluded from x or something like that anyway, thanks.
Reply 16
Original post by _Xenon_
3/(2*7.5+5)

= 3/(15+5)

= 3/20

= 0.15

Not sure but if it is right what about question which say which domain should be excluded from x or something like that anyway, thanks.

Yeah, that's fine.

Can you divide by 0, by the way? Just wondering.
Original post by _Xenon_
image.jpegFunctions

What book are these questions from? Have you got pdfs of A*-B grade topics?
Reply 18
Original post by phat-chewbacca
What book are these questions from? Have you got pdfs of A*-B grade topics?

Na this is my own book which I bought. It's called Edexcel IGCSE exam practice book. It is so amazing! I love it! It has every single topic for my exam and on the contents page there's also a checklist when you've completed a topic and it shows the grade a question is. I scanned those pages so it looks like that but I could post a photograph too. I'm currently choosing topics I've no idea about and trying to learn them quickly and do the exam style questions. Oh yeah this book is full of exam style questions for every single topic and at the end there's two practice papers and worked answers to them. Btw if you don't want to buy it and want a PDF version of high grade questions I know where you can find them too. Let me know,
Reply 19
I've written up two fairly exhaustive posts on domains and ranges (targeted at A-Level, so if you don't understand something, you can just skip over it, but it should all make sense to you if I've explained it well) here and here. If that helps. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest