The Student Room Group

Official IB Exams Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophieec
question 3 was something like:

'what techniques and to what effects do playwrights make the audience aware that they are watching a play?'

Thank you very much! I was afraid of having given a wrong interpretation of the title!

As regards title 1 a friend of mine asks if the comparison had to be between words and deeds of one character or between two different ones. In my class half of the people who chose the title understood "words and deeds of a character" and the other half "words and deeds between two different characters"
Original post by martaganger
So how did you guys find the english a paper 2 questions? I thought they were fairly hard - they did not connect much to the plays we studied. Plus I am so upset about question 2 because we did 1 comedy and 2 "tragedies" therefore the second question was automatically not an option. I don't think the ib should include genre-specific questions, it limits the selection a lot :frown:

yeah i found them hard too. They were definitely do-able though :smile: which plays did u use?
So how did you guys find the english a paper 2 questions? I thought they were fairly hard - they did not connect much to the plays we studied. Plus I am so upset about question 2 because we did 1 comedy and 2 "tragedies" therefore the second question was automatically not an option. I don't think the ib should include genre-specific questions, it limits the selection a lot :frown:

I agree! As a class we studied 4 tragedies:eek: Two class mates of mine made a mistake because they chose title 2!!! They interpreted it as "comic characters"
(edited 7 years ago)
yeah i found them hard too. They were definitely do-able though :smile: which plays did u use?

Definitely doable! Although considering the november 2015 paper 2 questions they were a LOT harder. Question 2 on the november 15 paper was like "how do playwrights show the internal disposition of their characters?" or something like that. Dream question ahah

I used A Streetcar Named Desire (Blanche's character was so good for this title) and A View from the Bridge (I used Eddie's character, but I struggled a bit with him because his contradiction is not between words and deeds, but rather between his words and his actual feelings/emotional responses, so I slowly twisted the question a bit to discuss that). Overall though it was definitely not bad, could have been better, but could have also been worse.

And yes - a friend of mine got confused too and thought it was referring to deeds and words between different characters, the wording was slightly ambiguous, but I am pretty sure it was "within" a character.

Which ones did you use?
(edited 7 years ago)
Definitely doable! Although considering the november 2015 paper 2 questions they were a LOT harder. Question 2 on the november 15 paper was like "how do playwrights show the internal disposition of their characters?" or something like that. Dream question ahah

I used A Streetcar Named Desire (Blanche's character was so good for this title) and A View from the Bridge (I used Eddie's character, but I struggled a bit with him because his contradiction is not between words and deeds, but rather between his words and his actual feelings/emotional responses, so I slowly twisted the question a bit to discuss that). Overall though it was definitely not bad, could have been better, but could have also been worse.

And yes - a friend of mine got confused too and thought it was referring to deeds and words between different characters, the wording was slightly ambiguous, but I am pretty sure it was "within" a character.

Which ones did you use?

Yeah i agree, could have gone better but also worse!
I used Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman and Christopher Marlowe's 'Doctor Faustus' . I mainly talked about the use of sound, dramatic theatrical techniques, soliloquies and the openings of the plays :smile:

the wording is always so ambiguous!! :frown:

Which ones did you use?

As a class we studied King Lear, The Crucible, Mrs Warren's Profession and The tragical history of Dr Faustus. Mrs Warren's Profession may be considered a comedy but it ends with the separation between mother and daughter
Does anyone know if the examiners for english paper 2 will have read the plays we wrote about??
Original post by Alex Black
Thank you very much! I was afraid of having given a wrong interpretation of the title!

As regards title 1 a friend of mine asks if the comparison had to be between words and deeds of one character or between two different ones. In my class half of the people who chose the title understood "words and deeds of a character" and the other half "words and deeds between two different characters"

Thank god i'm not the only one!!! I wrote about 2 characters but other people in my class wrote about 1 character! I think the question was pretty badly worded because it wasn't clear!
Original post by LynnLynn
Thank god i'm not the only one!!! I wrote about 2 characters but other people in my class wrote about 1 character! I think the question was pretty badly worded because it wasn't clear!

I believe the examiners will take into consideration that the title may be given two different interpretations. Maybe they will be less strict in the marking!
Original post by LynnLynn

Probably 50% of people interpreted it one way and the other 50% the other way. They will definitely take into consideration both kinds of answers. Still annoying though
I agree!
(edited 7 years ago)

Personally i think the questions were perfect for the plays we studied! I did question 3 about the illusion of the plays being reality and how do the playwrights dispel that. One of my plays was a "memory play"- The Glass Menagerie and the other was a farce which meant i had a lot to talk about. However, i think it could have gone a lot better as i wasn't really feeling the english vibe.... I agree with the genre specific questions though, i had to automatically eliminate the second one too since i only had 1 comedic play!
Reply 152
Original post by anamariamikhail
i thought the micro q was so limited.... i was going to write about positive externalities but i didn't know if it was correct to say that about museums... i really don't know how it went lol but macro was my jam too! deflation was da bomb.com like really (b) was great too bc you just spoke about opposite effects of inflation... Paper 2 was meh i misunderstood one of the 4 mark questions fml lol but i did q1 and 4 - tariffs and the one on gini coeff/lorenz curve. i thought the evaluation q's were soooo good there was so much to say!

dude exactly!! why did they have to pick museums? like bruh how am i gonna talk about improvement in human capital with that **** haha but aaayy i also did 1 and 4 for paper 2! idk if i did the effects on the gas market with tariff on steel right for number 1 in international :lol: but whatevs im glad its over and im hoping for 5+ in econ hahaha
Had anyone taken the Bio SL P3 yet (specifically Option D)??
Reply 154
Original post by chillchristian
Had anyone taken the Bio SL P3 yet (specifically Option D)??

even if they have done we can't talk about the content for 24 hours :wink:
Just finished my bio hl paper 3 ! 👍🏼 content is as expected! 😄
Bio paper 3 SL was so much better than yesterday's papers 1 and 2!!! NO MORE BIO EVER AGAIN
(edited 7 years ago)
NO MORE BIO EVER AGAIN

Amen.
Original post by macaronichees3
Amen.

are u SL or HL? (were u now haha)
Bio paper 3 SL was so much better than yesterday's papers 1 and 2!!! NO MORE BIO EVER AGAIN

Agree. But Section A was tricky :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending