The Student Room Group

Job interview tips

Anyone got any top job interview tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davidguettafan
Anyone got any top job interview tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Do a certain amount of research into what the company does- it does not need to be over extensive, but enough to to confidently answer the question "What do you know about my company"

2. Back up all answers with examples this will re-inforce your answer more. For example if the interviewer asks what is your best skill - an example answer to this is

I believe my best skill is communication verbally and written, I used to work or volunteer within an out of school club where I communicated with a variety of different people such as children and parents- I believe i was proficient in doing this because the children always knew when they was doing certain tasks and how long they had to do it. I also had to communicate with the parents , if the club was cancelled or re-arranged so they knew whether they had to arrange alternative childcare ( Obviously do not use this example unless you actually done it)

3. Do not panic if you are hit with a difficult question and you are unsure on how to answer the question, it is always worth clarifying what terms the interviewer means (In other words a way to professionally ask for the interviewer to repeat the question)

4 Maintain eye contact, sometimes distractions are set up in the interviewing room- this may be a test within the interview to see how well you can remain focused , Do not get distracted it may cost you the job . the interviewer may feel you have lost interest in the interview

5. Maintain a good body shape, body language can also be seen as a extra element of the interview- if you lean forward keep a straight body posture, talk with your hands, try not to look defensive ( Do not cross your arms or legs) - Talking with your hands is better than having your arms crossed.

6 Remain confident - If you answer your questions well and back them up with examples when hit with a unexpected question confidently answer it even if your not sure , I usually bluff it and have still been offered the job in the past , it is all about assertiveness

7. Refer to the job description and person specification, if you can refer your skills to the duties in the job description and your personal qualities to the person specification , you will be more likely to do better in the interview (PM me if your not sure what this means and I can give you more targeted advice)

8. Ask questions - Be very careful in the type of questions you ask don't ask about annual leave or pay in the interview- if the interviewer is down to earth, i find they usually tell you- if not you will recieve this information in your contract of employment which can be sent up to three months into employment - your manager will tell you annual leave and pay when you start (sometimes its on the advert).

I usually ask questions like

Is there chance to progress in your company?
Is there training opportunities, if so who provides them?
What is working for your company like on a day to day basis?
How do you measure success in your company?
What are your expectations?

Disclaimer : Those are the questions I use if you want to use anything different, I advise you to google search for some questions. It may also be worth googling most frequent interview questions
Original post by drosstalk
1. Do a certain amount of research into what the company does- it does not need to be over extensive, but enough to to confidently answer the question "What do you know about my company"

2. Back up all answers with examples this will re-inforce your answer more. For example if the interviewer asks what is your best skill - an example answer to this is

I believe my best skill is communication verbally and written, I used to work or volunteer within an out of school club where I communicated with a variety of different people such as children and parents- I believe i was proficient in doing this because the children always knew when they was doing certain tasks and how long they had to do it. I also had to communicate with the parents , if the club was cancelled or re-arranged so they knew whether they had to arrange alternative childcare ( Obviously do not use this example unless you actually done it)

3. Do not panic if you are hit with a difficult question and you are unsure on how to answer the question, it is always worth clarifying what terms the interviewer means (In other words a way to professionally ask for the interviewer to repeat the question)

4 Maintain eye contact, sometimes distractions are set up in the interviewing room- this may be a test within the interview to see how well you can remain focused , Do not get distracted it may cost you the job . the interviewer may feel you have lost interest in the interview

5. Maintain a good body shape, body language can also be seen as a extra element of the interview- if you lean forward keep a straight body posture, talk with your hands, try not to look defensive ( Do not cross your arms or legs) - Talking with your hands is better than having your arms crossed.

6 Remain confident - If you answer your questions well and back them up with examples when hit with a unexpected question confidently answer it even if your not sure , I usually bluff it and have still been offered the job in the past , it is all about assertiveness

7. Refer to the job description and person specification, if you can refer your skills to the duties in the job description and your personal qualities to the person specification , you will be more likely to do better in the interview (PM me if your not sure what this means and I can give you more targeted advice)

8. Ask questions - Be very careful in the type of questions you ask don't ask about annual leave or pay in the interview- if the interviewer is down to earth, i find they usually tell you- if not you will recieve this information in your contract of employment which can be sent up to three months into employment - your manager will tell you annual leave and pay when you start (sometimes its on the advert).

I usually ask questions like

Is there chance to progress in your company?
Is there training opportunities, if so who provides them?
What is working for your company like on a day to day basis?
How do you measure success in your company?
What are your expectations?

Disclaimer : Those are the questions I use if you want to use anything different, I advise you to google search for some questions. It may also be worth googling most frequent interview questions

That is great advice thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davidguettafan
That is great advice thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

To add to drostalks helpful comments, show your enthusiasm for the sector the company works in. E.g. if they ask 'why do you want this job' and they most likely will, include that you are very passionate about what they do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending