The Student Room Group

Lets Talk Fountain Pens

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tetragon213
My pen's got no name, nothing. It was a custom piece made by my DT Teacher. He'd make pens in the DT lab and sell them relatively cheaply when you consider they were hand made from real wood. I still have mine, and I've had it for nearly 5 years. It's been through 2 Nibs, and the main body is starting to break, but it's still a wonderful piece to have :smile:

WOW, He must've been an amazing teacher. You're a lucky human to have such a one-off creation and that pen has been well-loved with many stories and a great life behind it. It thanks you.
Original post by quasa
currently, any random biro. fountain pen wise...parkers[/I
If i wasn't into fine writing and craftsmanship: I would use a gel ink pen.
I use a pink urban parker fountain pen, love the weight of it and it's so beautiful :tongue:
Wow, didn't know there were so many enthusiast here! I use a Montblanc 149, TWSIBI VAC 700, Pilot Custom 823 (FA nib), Jinhao X750, and I have Visconti Homo-Sapeins bronze age on the way from America. As for inks: Diamine (ancient copper is my favourite), Pilot Iroshizuku (Ama-Iro) and Pelikan Edelstein mainly. I also fiddle with dip-pen calligraphy here-and-there (use a speedball oblique nib holder and Zebra nibs), but have stopped recently due to exam preparation. And for paper I use a Rhodia dot-pad for 6th form and Clairefontaine Triumph for revision notes/calligraphy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Trust me, they are sublime

Original post by rym4n
I'm left handed and i've been using a fountain pen since year 10

Always found them a pain in the arse as I kept smudging the ink when I was writing.

Also, my handwriting's awful so they're wasted on me anyway.:smile:
Original post by Dawg_Money_2
True but Visconti know what they are doing, therefore, it writes better than a gold nib. The Dream Touch Palladium on the Homosapien is awe inspired.

Yes they do indeed, it is silky smooth
yeah I paid £16 for my parker and I've used it for 4 years now. All my other ones below £16 broke within a year haha
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Wow, didn't know there were so many enthusiast here! I use a Montblanc 149, TWSIBI VAC 700, Pilot Custom 823 (FA nib), Jinhao X750, and I have Visconti Homo-Sapeins bronze age on the way from America. As for inks: Diamine (ancient copper is my favourite), Pilot Iroshizuku (Ama-Iro) and Pelikan Edelstein mainly. I also fiddle with dip-pen calligraphy here-and-there (use a speedball oblique nib holder and Zebra nibs), but have stopped recently due to exam preparation. And for paper I use a Rhodia dot-pad for 6th form and Clairefontaine Triumph for revision notes/calligraphy.

Wow, dream pencil case right there! 149!!! HOW AWESOME DO YOU FEEL WHEN WRITING WITH IT?
In the long-term using fountains are kinda more affordable and convenient because you only practically need one fountain pen for the rest of your life and you will never ever lose that beloved pen?
Original post by Redmonds
Yes they do indeed, it is silky smooth

what's your next purchase?

I can only write on ClaireFontaine as Rhodia is far too gritty.
Original post by JamesN88
Always found them a pain in the arse as I kept smudging the ink when I was writing.

Also, my handwriting's awful so they're wasted on me anyway.:smile:

Practice puts brains into muscles - Charles Dickens
Go cheaper with a Jinhao (only around £3) they write sublime and better than parkers for some.
where do you keep your pens?
where do you keep your pens?

butthole
what's your next purchase?

I am thinking maybe a Pelikan Souveran M600, although I also collect mechanical watches which come first in priority :biggrin:
Wow, dream pencil case right there! 149!!! HOW AWESOME DO YOU FEEL WHEN WRITING WITH IT?

Like Hugh Jackman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBz796Ja7t8

perfect 100th post
Reply 98
Original post by Dawg_Money_2
Perhaps try a cheapo Jinhao, they're like £2 but work pretty good.

The problem is that I can't even justify my new Lamy. I really don't need another new pen!
Original post by Redmonds
I am thinking maybe a Pelikan Souveran M600, although I also collect mechanical watches which come first in priority :biggrin:

you are one fancy gentleman

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending