The Student Room Group

Hard hard hard !!reps!!

A light rigid straight beam ABC is smoothly hinged at end A on a vertical wall and supported in horizontal position by a wire which is attached to the wall and midpoint of beam b at an angle of 60degrees to the beam.
Calculate the tension in the wire and direction and magnitude of the force on the hinge when a mass M is suspended from the string

okay so I took moments about point A
Tsin60=2Mg
so T is 2Mg/sin60... T is 2.3MG

i dont get how to get the force on the hinge?
is it 60 degrees below the horizontal?
dont get how to get the magnitude also, i tried to do a vector triangle and use the cosine rule
Can I have uck? <3
WTH :huff: i thought you meant reps as in points and getting more reps thing :lol:
:rofl:
Reply 3
Original post by fatima1998
WTH :huff: i thought you meant reps as in points and getting more reps thing :lol:
:rofl:

what lol? ill give thumbs up when people help
Reply 4
Original post by Lola1244
what lol? ill give thumbs up when people help

Most people are watching the Champions League semi
Reply 5
Original post by M14B
Most people are watching the Champions League semi

hahaah you can tell I have my life is exhilarating right now
Original post by Lola1244
A light rigid straight beam ABC is smoothly hinged at end A on a vertical wall and supported in horizontal position by a wire which is attached to the wall and midpoint of beam b at an angle of 60degrees to the beam.
Calculate the tension in the wire and direction and magnitude of the force on the hinge when a mass M is suspended from the string

okay so I took moments about point A
Tsin60=2Mg
so T is 2Mg/sin60... T is 2.3MG

i dont get how to get the force on the hinge?
is it 60 degrees below the horizontal?
dont get how to get the magnitude also, i tried to do a vector triangle and use the cosine rule

split the force of the hinge into a horizontal and vertical component and try resolving vertically and horizontally, any good?
Reply 7
Original post by Katiee224
split the force of the hinge into a horizontal and vertical component and try resolving vertically and horizontally, any good?

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest