The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
If a d block element isn't a transition element e.g Zn2+ and Sc3+ does it form a white precipitate as opposed to a coloured one?
Could anyone confirm this?
And also, is there a way to predict what colour a transition metal ion will turn or do we just learn them?
Original post by AqsaMx
If a d block element isn't a transition element e.g Zn2+ and Sc3+ does it form a white precipitate as opposed to a coloured one?
And also, is there a way to predict what colour a transition metal ion will turn or do we just learn them?

The specification says we only have to know the following colour changes/observations:

Cu2+, Co2+, Fe2+, Fe3+, and then the three ligand substitution reactions on pages 214-215 of the textbook.

If you check the spec it says in the Properties that no detail of how colour arises is required.

Here's the spec if you can't find it: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/81089-specification.pdf
Reply 102
Evaluative on the relative strength of weak acids - could anyone give any advice and tips please? Greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by AqsaMx

They would form colourless compounds because they aren't transition metals so do not possess the property of being able to form coloured compounds
Original post by tcameron
They would form colourless compounds because they aren't transition metals so do not possess the property of being able to form coloured compounds

I thought we needed to say white compounds but colourless solutions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone help me out with this question? Its from f325 june 10, how do we know the Mr of compound C?
I dont get why we multiply the mass with 24?
Reply 106
Original post by AqsaMx
I have a qualitative on identifying transition metals through their reactions
Could anyone possibly give me advice for it ? :smile:

Anyone done this that could give tips?
Original post by AqsaMx
Anyone done this that could give tips?

I think you'l be fine if you know module 3 (transition elements) well, its not too hard, just read questions well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saywhatyoumean

Posted from TSR Mobile

A solution is as a compound I think
Never heard this white precipitate thing
Also stuck on this question, i get everything else of the question apart from finding the conc of the undiluted h2o2 and dont understand how we use the moles of it to get its conc?
Reply 110
on the previous page, it gives you the overall equation for this reaction which you need for molar ratios etc.

First thing you do is calculate moles of KMnO4 so use vol x conch to do so giving you 4.69x10-4

Then the molar ratio of 2MnO4 : 5H2O2 so you multiply the moles by 2.5 to get moles of hydrogen peroxide but this is only in 25cm3 but we need the concentration in the undiluted sample so this needs to be multiplied by 10 giving us 0.011725 moles.

Now we can calculate concentration using miles/volume so moles are 0.011725/(0.025) = 0.469 mol dm-3

But the units in the question are g dm-3 so multiply the conc by the Mr of the H2O2 so 0.469 x 34 = 15.9 g dm-3

@zirak46
Reply 111
image.jpg

Can anyone explain how to get the products of stage one? Please and thank you :smile:
Original post by Saywhatyoumean

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by tcameron
A solution is as a compound I think
Never heard this white precipitate thing

My class was taught that a non-transition metal element would form a colourless solution, but as a precipitate it would be white.

E.g. If you mixed Zn^2+ + NaOH it produces Zn(OH)2 which is a white precipitate.
A physical property of transition elements is that they form coloured compounds. As zinc isn't a TM it forms white compounds/colourless in solution.
Took me a while to understand from markscheme (obvs didnt get in first go), hope it makes sense, reply again if it doesnt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand upto getting the conc of h2o2 but dont understand why we times by Mr?
Is there a formula that im missing?
n=cv, n=v/24, n=mass/mr
Dont understand why we do c=mass/mr

Shouldnt it mean by that logic 0.469 x 34 x (0.025)
Because cv = mass/mr

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im at same stage as you, i literally started past papers today and i was so confused! Its just trial and error, do past papers and get them wrong, thats all good because this is just practise. Just learn from mark scheme and if it doesnt make sense, post them here, thats what im doing, posted 2 above so dont panic, we have time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chill fam, take it steady, practise and go through your past papers every other day
From what i understand:

Kc is only affected by temp, thats it.
But when pressure or conc changes, kc is altered and so each of the top and bottom of kc expression either increase or decrease until Kc is reached again.

What page in the book were you takking about? Is this the Cambridge Ocr Chem book? If so, what page and i can try to help more?
Reply 118
Original post by zirak46
I understand upto getting the conc of h2o2 but dont understand why we times by Mr?
Is there a formula that im missing?
n=cv, n=v/24, n=mass/mr
Dont understand why we do c=mass/mr

Shouldnt it mean by that logic 0.469 x 34 x (0.025)
Because cv = mass/mr

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because the units are in g mol-3 not in mol dm-3 so you have to multiply the concentration by mr to get it to g dm-3.
Literally thought the same thing till this morning actually but no, Kc never changes overall. Changing conc and pressure means the kc system is no longer at equilibrium. So both the bottom and top of expression will either each inc or dec till Kc is reached.

Meaning overall no change due to the expressions in Kc change

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending