The Student Room Group

Your degree and your career aspirations - how do they match up?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Absolutely! Especially in a product manager role or like a data scientist role. I'm actually thinking about applying to Google's early internship (first year or 2nd year of a four year course) scheme or a startup to see what tech is all about in first year.

They do early internships? I had no idea! That's convenient!
Degree: Electronic Engineering
Jobs/Careers of Interest: Electronic Engineer :wink: hopefully in computer hardware design
Graduate Salary Expected: ~28k (haven't looked much into this)
Degree: Economics BSc
Jobs/Careers of Interest: Economic analysis (public or private sector), something policy-orientated would be good.
Graduate Salary Expected: I believe the GES fast track scheme is £27k and the Bank of England's graduate scheme is a little bit below that, but both of those are very competitive schemes to get into. On the other hand, these are both public sector schemes, so I wouldn't expect comparable private sector schemes to be miles below that. Money isn't my number one priority anyhow.
Reply 263
Original post by KatieBlogger
You won't get funded for a psychology degree and it would be useless anyway since you couldn't even be a counsellor (never mind psychiatrist) with that degree alone.

As for the job, be an adult and decline it and tell your mother why.

And you might wanna lower your expectations for 30k when you don't even know what job you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I realise I won't get funding and I don't have a plan for my future, all I know is I would like to go back to uni and do psychology so I'm going to make it happen. I know this sounds incredibly silly and a waste of time and money but I can't see myself being comfortable doing anything else. I don't think 30k is unrealistic at all if worse comes to worst I'm sure I can do a pgce/law/a grad job.

And for me rejecting this job would mean having my mum literally disown me which honestly I just don't want
Original post by Hra
I realise I won't get funding and I don't have a plan for my future, all I know is I would like to go back to uni and do psychology so I'm going to make it happen. I know this sounds incredibly silly and a waste of time and money but I can't see myself being comfortable doing anything else. I don't think 30k is unrealistic at all if worse comes to worst I'm sure I can do a pgce/law/a grad job.

And for me rejecting this job would mean having my mum literally disown me which honestly I just don't want

1. Teachers don't start on £30k
2. If these 'routes' are backups, you'll have a tough time landing them. The competition for law/top grad jobs is intense, you need to be quite committed if you want to stand a chance in the recruitment processes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
2. If these 'routes' are backups, you'll have a tough time landing them. The competition for law/top grad jobs is intense, you need to be quite committed if you want to stand a chance in the recruitment processes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like you are doing TSR a service with this thread. Too many ridiculous graduate salary expectations circulate on this site, that, and quite a few people just assuming they will walk into really competitive schemes without a problem.
Original post by Pro Crastination
I feel like you are doing TSR a service with this thread. Too many ridiculous graduate salary expectations circulate on this site, that, and quite a few people just assuming they will walk into really competitive schemes without a problem.

Ahaha, that was my intention if I'm honest. I'm tired of seeing the same unsubstantiated BS numbers being thrown around. At least with this thread the tangential discussions add a bit more realism than the usual: 'kid gives ridiculous number (no mention of job), 'another user craps on them'. I'm trying to avoid the crapping bit aha.
Depends on the job and company more than anything...
Ok bro, at least spell 'prime' minister properly :tongue: PM is also not a grad job aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

when im primeminister of conservatives and I tax you low lives we will see who is laughing:biggrin:
Reply 269
Absolutely! Especially in a product manager role or like a data scientist role. I'm actually thinking about applying to Google's early internship (first year or 2nd year of a four year course) scheme or a startup to see what tech is all about in first year.

Very Interesting, what uni will you/ are be attending? I'm going for Comp Sci + AI in September at Edinburgh.

Edit: Just saw that you are going for Comp Sci and Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JP298
Very Interesting, what uni will you/ are be attending? I'm going for Comp Sci + AI in September at Edinburgh.

Edit: Just saw that you are going for Comp Sci and Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick or Bristol depending on how results go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Degree: German with Dutch
Jobs/Careers of Interest: No idea. Possibly something related to European Politics... or teaching
Graduate Salary Expected: ??? Probably like 18k if I'm lucky

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually the maximum starting salary for teachers in Inner London is £29970, which is pretty much £30k. It is possible at some schools, mainly for maths teachers.
Original post by Trapz99
Actually the maximum starting salary for teachers in Inner London is £29970, which is pretty much £30k. It is possible at some schools, mainly for maths teachers.

It's technically not £30k :tongue: I'm p. sure OP isn't a Maths grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick or Bristol depending on how results go

Posted from TSR Mobile

waaat? what happened to notts?
It's technically not £30k :tongue: I'm p. sure OP isn't a Maths grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh yeah, I forgot about that lol

But tbh, if you were getting paid that close to £30000 you might as well say I earn £30000- just add the total value of birthday presents to your income or invest some of it and add the returns to your income to get that extra £30 you need.

£30000 seems really good though. Plus headteachers can earn £100000- my headteacher drives a brand new Jaguar lol
Reply 276
Original post by Trapz99
oh yeah, I forgot about that lol

But tbh, if you were getting paid that close to £30000 you might as well say I earn £30000- just add the total value of birthday presents to your income or invest some of it and add the returns to your income to get that extra £30 you need.

£30000 seems really good though. Plus headteachers can earn £100000- my headteacher drives a brand new Jaguar lol

So did my former headteacher, maybe head teachers just love jags?
hmmmmm great post :smile:

Either

Degree: Computer Science + PhD in Artificial Intelligence
Jobs/Careers of interest: Research scientist
Graduate salary expected: don't mind

Or

Degree: Computer Science
Jobs/Careers of interest: Cryptography
Graduate salary expected: dont mind
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99

I saw you mentioned PGCE. My partner is a teacher and she said a lot of schools only hire Teach First as they think the training is better.
Original post by Mega0448
I saw you mentioned PGCE. My partner is a teacher and she said a lot of schools only hire Teach First as they think the training is better.

Really? My school has never hired a teach first graduate. Most teachers don't do teach first anyway - pgce is the most common option. But I think some of the more difficult, struggling schools would definitely prefer teach first since the teachers that do that training are more experienced with dealing with difficult students. Most schools don't really mind.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending