The Student Room Group

Immigration is the best thing since sliced bread

Immigration has boosted the economy FACT. Immigrants are less likely to claim benefits or commit crime than lazy white Brits FACT. Immigrants are usually nice hard working people FACT. I'm fed up with this constant scaremongering about immigration and claiming its a negative of staying in the EU (in fact its one of the best things about it). Immigration needs to be recognised to be positive and everyone who moans about it 'destroying their culture' need to get with the times and an education FACT.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Somebody pinch me.
Original post by intelligent con
Immigration has boosted the economy FACT. Immigrants are less likely to claim benefits or commit crime than lazy white Brits FACT. Immigrants are usually nice hard working people FACT. I'm fed up with this constant scaremongering about immigration and claiming its a negative of staying in the EU (in fact its one of the best things about it). Immigration needs to be recognised to be positive and everyone who moans about it 'destroying their culture' need to get with the times and an education FACT.

No, No and No- I live in the West Midlands, I do not know an immigrant in a job. Furthermore Immigrants increase demand for houses pushing up the prices for the white working class British so they are less likely to afford a house. Also with the amount of immigrants coming to Britain especially poor ones are driving down the wages for big corporations because the wage demands of Eastern Europeans for example is much less than British people. Oh dear- lets look at what mass immigration has done in European Neighboring countries for example Sweden who took Islamic immigrants from Syria saw rape go up by 77% and those was committed by 2% of Muslim Males.
(https://muslimstatistics.wordpress.com/2015/03/19/sweden-77-6-percent-of-all-rapes-in-the-country-committed-by-muslim-males-making-up-2-percent-of-population/)
Is immigration in unlimited numbers good for working class people who want to buy houses ?- No because the supply of housing remains stagnant and the amount of demand for housing increases- this may seem a bit repetitive but scroll back up- I stand by the wages comment.

I agree with you. But on the flip side, high levels of immigration do put strain on already stretched services. A lack of integration can cause ex-pat ghettos within certain areas. It is swings and roundabouts but I do agree much of the negativity is based on ignorance and prejudice rather than a genuine and compassionate understanding of the issue.
Reply 4
3/10. You're posting them too often now and its getting too obvious.

Might catch a few of the irregular users though.
Reply 5
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Somebody pinch me.

OP, I think is joking, as he known for his bizarre views
Reply 6
Completely disagree with you. Immigration does have its positives, however due to the fact that immigrants are willing to work for a lower wage (on average), it drives overall wages down for the job, or in economic cases, the wage doesn't rise with inflation, which affects the workforce in that field financially. Another typical argument on the 'job' basis is that 'migrants aren't taking our jobs because they face discrimination'. Even if this argument was true in some cases, it means that we have to pay for benefit support for the family. Also you're basically stereotyping that white British people are 'lazy', which is just as equally racist as saying all migrants are 'criminals' if you put your mind to it. I completely disagree with what you've just said, mainly because you are looking at the whole situation in 'black and white'. There are pros and cons to everything. Remember that!

I like all these facts, can I get a source?
Reply 8
Diminishing returns brudda.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jared44
I like all these facts, can I get a source?

No need for sauce or evidence when its a FACT! duhhh :smile:
Original post by ByEeek
I agree with you. But on the flip side, high levels of immigration do put strain on already stretched services. A lack of integration can cause ex-pat ghettos within certain areas. It is swings and roundabouts but I do agree much of the negativity is based on ignorance and prejudice rather than a genuine and compassionate understanding of the issue.

You mean those ex-pat ghettos that the brits have in spain and france and they don't bother trying to integrate with the locals, double standards?
Original post by drosstalk
No, No and No- I live in the West Midlands, I do not know an immigrant in a job.

Probably because you don't know any immigrants.
No, No and No- I live in the West Midlands, I do not know an immigrant in a job. Furthermore Immigrants increase demand for houses pushing up the prices for the white working class British so they are less likely to afford a house. Also with the amount of immigrants coming to Britain especially poor ones are driving down the wages for big corporations because the wage demands of Eastern Europeans for example is much less than British people. Oh dear- lets look at what mass immigration has done in European Neighboring countries for example Sweden who took Islamic immigrants from Syria saw rape go up by 77% and those was committed by 2% of Muslim Males.
(https://muslimstatistics.wordpress.com/2015/03/19/sweden-77-6-percent-of-all-rapes-in-the-country-committed-by-muslim-males-making-up-2-percent-of-population/)
Is immigration in unlimited numbers good for working class people who want to buy houses ?- No because the supply of housing remains stagnant and the amount of demand for housing increases- this may seem a bit repetitive but scroll back up- I stand by the wages comment.

Why do people find it so hard to separate anecdotes from facts? Statistically, immigrants are 43% less likely to be on benefits than natives, they're less likely to be unemployed, they're more likely to have a degree, and EU-15 immigrants bring in 64% more than they take out in benefits. The ONLY group who take more in benefits than they bring in are BRITISH NATIVES. Without EU immigration our economy would sink like a sack of ****. Source: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1114/051114-economic-impact-EU-immigration

Your personal experience is irrelevant. Everyone I know that's on benefits is British. Are all British people on benefits? No. Although, Brits are significantly more likely to be on benefits than immigrants, so maybe that's not the best analogy :colondollar:

What does immigration from Syria have to do with anything? You do understand that Syria is not a member of the EU, and is not being considered to join? It's utterly irrelevant. We can choose whether to accept non-EU immigrants - or not, as we saw when Parliament rejected 3000 child refugees.
Reply 13
I am an immigrant and I will work for 5p a day to undercut British workers. In fact, I only earned £1 last year, but got £800,000 in benefits and I will vote Remain.
Original post by Buonaparte
Probably because you don't know any immigrants.

I know hundreds of immigrants Im the only white person on my estate - when i move of that estate someone can bomb the **** out of it I do not care
Original post by JordanL_
Why do people find it so hard to separate anecdotes from facts? Statistically, immigrants are 43% less likely to be on benefits than natives, they're less likely to be unemployed, they're more likely to have a degree, and EU-15 immigrants bring in 64% more than they take out in benefits. The ONLY group who take more in benefits than they bring in are BRITISH NATIVES. Without EU immigration our economy would sink like a sack of ****. Source: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1114/051114-economic-impact-EU-immigration

Your personal experience is irrelevant. Everyone I know that's on benefits is British. Are all British people on benefits? No. Although, Brits are significantly more likely to be on benefits than immigrants, so maybe that's not the best analogy :colondollar:

What does immigration from Syria have to do with anything? You do understand that Syria is not a member of the EU, and is not being considered to join? It's utterly irrelevant. We can choose whether to accept non-EU immigrants - or not, as we saw when Parliament rejected 3000 child refugees.

1. Wage demands are lower, they would happily work for below the minimum/ Living wage.
2 They are much more likely to speak Polish then have a degree, the EU is bad for low skilled eastern europeans- the EU is a con to give multi-national companies cheap labour.
3. I don't care i would prefer a poor Economy then allowing 300,000 in a year - which puts pressure on our public services such as the NHS- they should pay for health care
4. There is a lot of illegal immigrants who will live at work and get paid very low undercutting the British worker- that stat is based on being economically active lots of immigrants especially from India are very old so sponge off our health care and welfare system
5.No No and No- they are going to Greece, Calais, and many other countries- some have been settled in Germany and now have access to the UK now ISIS members fleed with refugees so I think we will see ISIS members in the UK- My source (Can't reveal will get fired) revealed to me their is 450 ISIS members in the UK at current

I will finish off with suggesting to deport the majority immigrants then their will be less demand for jobs while the supply remaining the same will result in more UK citizens in employment . Rich Immigrants can stay as they are wealth creators and create many jobs. I would also try to ban outsourcing.

The problem is many of the young people in our country have been brainwashed into thinking the European Union is vital for their jobs- this is simply untrue, whilst the economy will shrink- I concede that but so will the house prices so many english citizens can afford an house.

You go on saying EU Immigrants are less likely to be on the dole, those are the ones the government are aware of. Also put yourself in this situation

In 2013 the United Kingdom was offered a £870 ish grant for each immigrant worker, the grant was towards advertising the position- so it was more cost effective to hire immigrants, the corruptness the tories have they would accept it to get their mates cheap labour.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379477/Brussels-offers-UK-firms-1-000-cash-bribes-hire-foreign-workers.html

How can a UK claimant match that cost saving- very simple they can't

Here is a scenario for you-

You are the resourcing manager at a MNC you need to hire someone to fill a post

you go through the Initial process and get to shortlisting due to high demand (EU immigrants and our own claimants) you receive 3000 applications- now if you hire an immigrant brussels and the EU will give you ££1,000 on top of a subsidy of £800 in advertising making it £1800 cheaper to hire an EU immigrant skills have nothing to do with it its about saving money- through this incentive they do , and wage demands are lower.

If you bothered to read this you will now have a clue instead of being a bloody green- I bet you would accept 1 million immigrants a year
Reply 16
1. Wage demands are lower, they would happily work for below the minimum/ Living wage.
2 They are much more likely to speak Polish then have a degree, the EU is bad for low skilled eastern europeans- the EU is a con to give multi-national companies cheap labour.
3. I don't care i would prefer a poor Economy then allowing 300,000 in a year - which puts pressure on our public services such as the NHS- they should pay for health care
4. There is a lot of illegal immigrants who will live at work and get paid very low undercutting the British worker- that stat is based on being economically active lots of immigrants especially from India are very old so sponge off our health care and welfare system
5.No No and No- they are going to Greece, Calais, and many other countries- some have been settled in Germany and now have access to the UK now ISIS members fleed with refugees so I think we will see ISIS members in the UK- My source (Can't reveal will get fired) revealed to me their is 450 ISIS members in the UK at current

I will finish off with suggesting to deport the majority immigrants then their will be less demand for jobs while the supply remaining the same will result in more UK citizens in employment . Rich Immigrants can stay as they are wealth creators and create many jobs. I would also try to ban outsourcing.

The problem is many of the young people in our country have been brainwashed into thinking the European Union is vital for their jobs- this is simply untrue, whilst the economy will shrink- I concede that but so will the house prices so many english citizens can afford an house.

You go on saying EU Immigrants are less likely to be on the dole, those are the ones the government are aware of. Also put yourself in this situation

In 2013 the United Kingdom was offered a £870 ish grant for each immigrant worker, the grant was towards advertising the position- so it was more cost effective to hire immigrants, the corruptness the tories have they would accept it to get their mates cheap labour.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379477/Brussels-offers-UK-firms-1-000-cash-bribes-hire-foreign-workers.html

you go through the Initial process and get to shortlisting due to high demand (EU immigrants and our own claimants) you receive 3000 applications- now if you hire an immigrant brussels and the EU will give you ££1,000 on top of a subsidy of £800 in advertising making it £1800 cheaper to hire an EU immigrant skills have nothing to do with it its about saving money- through this incentive they do , and wage demands are lower.

If you bothered to read this you will now have a clue instead of being a bloody green- I bet you would accept 1 million immigrants a year

Your English is quite good, have you learnt it recently?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Your English is quite good, have you learnt it recently?

English why?
Reply 18
English why?

It looks like a foreign person had written it after learning some English.

1. That's illegal. There will always be people illegally working for below minimum wage, and they'll always be the minority. I don't understand why you think stopping immigration would stop this from happening.

2. Did you read the study I linked? 64% of EU-15 immigrants have a degree, and 25% of Eastern European immigrants. That's higher than the proportion of natives with degrees. As for speaking Polish - every EU immigrant I've met, including Eastern European ones, has had a FAR better grasp of English than most of the British natives I went to school with.

3. ......You do understand that a poorer economy means a poorer NHS?

The NHS is struggling because our government refuses to give it the funding it needs, it really is as simple as that. The deficit is going DOWN because our economy is growing. We have MORE MONEY TO SPEND, but instead of giving the NHS the money it needs, the government gives more tax cuts to RICH BRITISH NATIVES. Why you think cutting off immigration, and reducing the money in the country, would somehow convince the government to give more money to the NHS I don't understand. If anything, the NHS would face more cuts as our economy suffers. This isn't a difficult concept.

4. I don't have any stats on India, but it's not in the EU, so Indian immigration is hardly a reason to leave.

5. You still need a passport to get into the UK, and you still have to go through full security whether you're getting the ferry from Calais or a plane from wherever. Leaving the EU would make very little difference in this regard.

As for house prices - they're high because we aren't building enough houses. If our economy shrinks we'll be building even less.

I don't really understand how you think there could be immigrants receiving benefits without the government being aware? The government gives out the benefits.

You neglect to mention that firms can only hire up to 20 foreign workers per year on the EU scheme.

As you talk about immigrants stealing our jobs, unemployment has been going down significantly for years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending