The Student Room Group

Multiple Sclerosis

Any one have experience of this? When did you speak to a doctor/what where your first symptoms? How did the diagnosis work?

I'm too scared to see a doctor about my symptoms. I'm 19 and female. I'm not looking for people to tell me to go to the doctors (I'm going for another reason this week so I might bring my symptoms up), or to stop using google etc. Just looking for some advice/experience about MS itself.
A quick discussion with the GP sounds good :smile:
Any symptom in particular that you are worried about, or any contextual issues like family history?
Reply 2
Original post by hellodave5
A quick discussion with the GP sounds good :smile:
Any symptom in particular that you are worried about, or any contextual issues like family history?

The most troublesome symptoms are weakness and fatigue, also numbness in my feet/calves (and terrible coldness) and I've been having weird vision problems lately (I have horrendous eyesight as it is) - sudden, blurry vision that doesn't last too long but is incredibly frustrating and disorientating. I've also been having pain in my muscles and chest pains but I'm not sure if that's related or not.

Also, no issues in the family specific to MS but my family has a number of health issues. Every member of my family (great-grandmother, grandfather and grandmother and mother) all have some form of illness. It might be my anxiety making things a lot worse than they seem, which is also why I don't want to speak to the doctors. I'm afraid they either won't believe me or they'll laugh at me for thinking it's MS.
Original post by Anonymous
The most troublesome symptoms are weakness and fatigue, also numbness in my feet/calves (and terrible coldness) and I've been having weird vision problems lately (I have horrendous eyesight as it is) - sudden, blurry vision that doesn't last too long but is incredibly frustrating and disorientating. I've also been having pain in my muscles and chest pains but I'm not sure if that's related or not.

Also, no issues in the family specific to MS but my family has a number of health issues. Every member of my family (great-grandmother, grandfather and grandmother and mother) all have some form of illness. It might be my anxiety making things a lot worse than they seem, which is also why I don't want to speak to the doctors. I'm afraid they either won't believe me or they'll laugh at me for thinking it's MS.

Things like this are ridiculously complex, and would likely require quite some evaluation by someone with lots of experience and knowledge I assume... so I would talk to the GP about it when you can. You don't have to suggest MS off the bat, just say that your symptoms have been significant and worrying you, and seem to mimic some of the early signs of MS from what you have read but appreciate it maybe and is more likely something else.
Really hope it isn't MS... which does have a very low prevalence rate thankfully, so don't be too worried. Anything neurological out of the ordinary, always good to have checked out! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest