The Student Room Group

Help me with my a level subject choices!

So for my IGCSE my subjects are:
Maths
English
Biology
Physics
English literature
Business Studies
ICT
Art and Design

For my a levels I would like to do:
Maths
Physics
Computer science
Art and Design
Business Studies

People keep advising me to do 3 or 4 a level subjects. I could easily remove business studies but then I wouldn't have the business education/skills for when I go to uni to be able to start my own business which I plan on doing. Physics, maths and art because I want to be an architectural engineer. Computer science for the technology part. So I really believe these 5 subjects are a perfect fit for me and my future, but the school i am applying to persist that I do only 4 in my first year and 3 in my second year of a levels. I have already been told countless of times about the difficulty of a levels in comparison to IGCSE however, I consider myself a very very strong and intelligent + I am mature so I'll be extremely focused.

My question are:

What four subjects should I study at a levels to become an architectural engineer ? If then, what 3 should I take for my second year ?

If I do 5 subjects, what 4 subjects should I take for my second year?

Lastly, PLEASSEEEEEEEEE recommend a level schools for me to go, that would accommodate my 5 subjects if not 4 subjects + I do Track(100m) and speak Arabic fluently as my co-curricular activities

THANK YOU FOR READING, PLEASE REPLY !!
Original post by halimdina
So for my IGCSE my subjects are:
Maths
English
Biology
Physics
English literature
Business Studies
ICT
Art and Design

For my a levels I would like to do:
Maths
Physics
Computer science
Art and Design
Business Studies

People keep advising me to do 3 or 4 a level subjects. I could easily remove business studies but then I wouldn't have the business education/skills for when I go to uni to be able to start my own business which I plan on doing. Physics, maths and art because I want to be an architectural engineer. Computer science for the technology part. So I really believe these 5 subjects are a perfect fit for me and my future, but the school i am applying to persist that I do only 4 in my first year and 3 in my second year of a levels. I have already been told countless of times about the difficulty of a levels in comparison to IGCSE however, I consider myself a very very strong and intelligent + I am mature so I'll be extremely focused.

My question are:

What four subjects should I study at a levels to become an architectural engineer ? If then, what 3 should I take for my second year ?

If I do 5 subjects, what 4 subjects should I take for my second year?

Lastly, PLEASSEEEEEEEEE recommend a level schools for me to go, that would accommodate my 5 subjects if not 4 subjects + I do Track(100m) and speak Arabic fluently as my co-curricular activities

THANK YOU FOR READING, PLEASE REPLY !!

I would definitely NOT DO 5! You may think you can handle it despite what you have been told but until you experience it... I'm not even going to try and persuade you because you sound like you wouldn't listen to my advice on the subject. I made the mistake of thinking I could handle my subjects despite what everyone told me, and I ended up getting awful (and I mean failing) grades and had to repeat the year. I'm not saying this will happen to you but please don't think you know better when people are trying to help!
(edited 7 years ago)
The best A levels would be maths, further maths and physics. Do another one if you like, probably computer science. 4 A levels is fine, 5 is too much unless you're a very relaxed straight A* student.

Business studies will not help you start a business.
Original post by emiloujess
I would definitely NOT DO 5! You may think you can handle it despite what you have been told but until you experience it... I'm not even going to try and persuade you because you sound like you wouldn't listen to my advice on the subject. I made the mistake of thinking I could handle my subjects despite what everyone told me, and I ended up getting awful (and I mean failing) grades and had to repeat the year. I'm not saying this will happen to you but please don't think you know better when people are trying to help!

Okay I understand. So what subjects would you advice me to take ?

math, physics, cs and art. drop business, it's not a great subject at this level tbh.
Many universities will have a society relating to starting your own business, so I would not advise taking business studies just for that!
You seem to know what you want to do for a job, so I would advise looking up which universities are good for Architecture and civil engineering and seeing which subjects they will require. Most will say you need Maths, so stick with that.

Computer science will not be of major use to you at university either as they will use very different programming systems which you will not experience on this course, so I would recommend dropping this in your second year if you choose to take it. (Considering this, if you would prefer to study business studies, then I don't think either will benefit you more than the other, so choose the one your interested in!)

Most universities will require you to show an understanding of a range of topics, so taking art is a must! Physics is also mentioned often.

Maths, Physics and computer science. If you feel you have to take an AS then Art & Design.

Best of luck :smile:
Original post by chazwomaq
The best A levels would be maths, further maths and physics. Do another one if you like, probably computer science. 4 A levels is fine, 5 is too much unless you're a very relaxed straight A* student.

Business studies will not help you start a business.

Do not take maths and further maths if you want to study architecture, universities don't like it! You need to show a range of understanding, so no repeating subjects!
Original post by beth-jane
Do not take maths and further maths if you want to study architecture, universities don't like it! You need to show a range of understanding, so no repeating subjects!

I was assuming the OP wanted to study engineering of architectural engineering where further maths is useful.
Original post by chazwomaq
I was assuming the OP wanted to study engineering of architectural engineering where further maths is useful.

Fair enough! I think its one of those things, that further maths is very useful, but if they are not sure if they are applying to architecture or engineering they should perhaps avoid it as its not essential for all engineering courses, but could limit there architecture options.

Quick Reply

Latest