The Student Room Group

Edexcel 2016 IGCSE exam thread

Hi Guys,
Last year when I was taking my English Language (B) and Biology (A*) exam I set up a thread for people to help each other and just discuss the subjects they were taking in general, especially since there seems to be hardly any threads on IGCSE's.
I am taking: English Literature, Geography and Business Studies this year. I also took Physics (A*) and Human Biology (A*) in January. If you have any questions on those I can try and help answer them to get this topic started.
I'm doing edexcel English Language, English Literature and Business Studies the rest CIE. Do you have any tips on English Language because out of the three it's my worst
Reply 2
Hi
This year I am doing the Edexcel iGCSE Geography and Edexcel iGSCE 4MA0 Mathematics. I did the English Language exam last year and got an A*. I am hoping for A's in these exams but as long as I get a pass I will be happy haha. How is revision going for you?
Reply 3
Original post by emilyy_elizabeth
I'm doing edexcel English Language, English Literature and Business Studies the rest CIE. Do you have any tips on English Language because out of the three it's my worst

It my worst as well, I am much better at English Lit though, I think for the Language you have to obviously know the poem really well, I read other peoples annotations of them noted down the points then annotated them myself. Trying to predict what poem was going to come up because helpfully in was the Necklace which I had studied a lot. It is good to do the same with the extracts as well. As for the writing piece, like the story or expressing your PoV I cant say much other than write with clear expression and if you are writing a speech or something try and adjust it so that it sounds like a speech, not just like an essay. Also examiners like it if you use a variety on punctuation, semicolons, colons, dashes, ellipsis, so on.
Hope this helps and I wasn't too late for your exam, I have been busy revising myself.
Reply 4
Original post by mols99
Hi
This year I am doing the Edexcel iGCSE Geography and Edexcel iGSCE 4MA0 Mathematics. I did the English Language exam last year and got an A*. I am hoping for A's in these exams but as long as I get a pass I will be happy haha. How is revision going for you?

Wow, well done for A* in language, those types of subjects are my least favourite because they are far too open ended. I like subjects with a set mark scheme so that you can list the points you need for the marks. I am confident on all of my exams this year, I am aiming for A's, too. But on a couple like Math and Geography I am hoping for A*. The only thing about maths is that I think the exam (GCSE) will be harder than previous years because next year obviously all the exams are changing and becoming a lot harder so I think they will want to step up the difficulty gradually.

Quick Reply

Latest