The Student Room Group

How do I negotiate my offered salary?

Is it possible for them to retract my offer if I try and negotiate and how do I go about negotiating in the first instance?

The position is quite a junior position but I've had about 1 to 2 years working experience.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lottiew_
Is it possible for them to retract my offer if I try and negotiate and how do I go about negotiating in the first instance?

The position is quite a junior position but I've had about 1 to 2 years working experience.

You kindly ask them can we talk about this?
Reply 2
Original post by thefatone
You kindly ask them can we talk about this?

Have you been in that position before? if so, how did it go down?

I negotiated salary rises before I started jobs before.

In both cases I said I had another offer just above what I hoped to get increased to but that I would willing to accept the figure I wanted because I really would prefer this role.

How much more money do you want?

Do not sign any contract until you've sorted it out though.
Say something like, I was really pleased to receive your offer but honestly with my experience I was expecting it to be a bit higher. Is this something you'd be willing to discuss?

They could take back an offer, although unless you come in and say something stupid like I don't get out of bed for less than 100k they won't hold it against you. My general rule is that it doesn't hurt to ask, and if you don't ask you don't get.
'well you are just a bourgeoise pig who exploits my surplus labour aren't u, so can u quit being greedy and give me some of it back or i'll start a proletarian revolution'

works everytime
Have you been in that position before? if so, how did it go down?

I haven't however trying to give best advice i can.

i'm only 17 ._.
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
What was the salary advertised at? Is your expectation significantly higher than this salary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They didn't initially advertise the salary. I'm trying to get about 2 to 3k more than what they offered me.
Reply 8
bump
bump

Agree with J-SP you are probably on a hiding to nothing here and yes, they can withdraw your offer.

You have to have a very well prepared argument as to why your work is worth more than they have budgeted for, why it is of more value to the company than workers in the same role, and why it is of more value to them that other people that have been working there longer. That's a pretty tall order if you don't have a very specific and hard to find skill set. If you just want more money or feel you are worth more, you'll start off on a very bad footing with the organisation.
JSP unless ive missed soemthing the OP isnt the fat one, so the OP isnt saying they are 17.

OP you have had good and relevant advice above. If no salary was advertised and its below what you expected you cna broach the matter with them. You cannot overplay your hand though and you need to know what your reaction will be if they say no i.e walk away.

It can be a negotiation, but i'd check what other jobs pay, so you need to be able to justify what you are asking for. Work out what your barganing power is.
If its below market rate, then be prepared to walk away. If its on market rate, then you need to show you are worth the extra. As JSP pointed out it will depend on how much you want v how much they want you,. Be diplomatic and dont overplay yoir hand.
Reply 11
Do you think it would be risky to mention that I have another offer from elsewhere that wants to pay me higher?
When you get good at your job and have figures to back it up it's much easier to negotiate that salary. Hell, I know someone in sales who came first in their region in healthcare products who was headhunted and told at the interview "so, what do you want"? Obviously there is a ceiling as to what they can offer unless you decide to go into management but this sort of thing can be used as leverage especially if it's another company trying to poach you. However, mostly money is not the motivator for many people and they would rather negotiate a better bonus conditional on them achieving certain things, which seems to suit companies in that particular industry a bit more as well because it's not set in stone
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm in that situation, have over a year of experience but recently started my new job which means I'm on probation, but they say they'll give me a pay rise in 2 months because of my 'excellent' performance.

In most jobs they do offer a starting salary first and then give you a pay rise once your probation period is over, but obviously on the condition that you are good performer. This happened to me on my first job. But depending on the company I don't know if this is the culture.
Original post by J-SP
If you are 17, I suspect your 1-2 years work experience is likely to either be 1) part-time or 2) not directly related to the type of work you will be doing.

Also asking for a £2-3k increase in salary in a role that is that junior is likely to beyond their expectations.

When I dealt with salary negotiations, a £2-3k increase in salary offer was only really considered with jobs that were paying high £20ks or low £30ks (or above).

Have you not had this conversation already with the potential employer? Waiting over a week is pretty risky. If you want to have these discussions, it is best to have them fairly promptly.

I wish i even had a job, even it was poorly paid, i really want to earn something but no-one will take me in :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending