The Student Room Group

C++ in finance.

Been learning C++ for a few weeks will probably take a few more weeks until I can comfortably apply what I've learnt to financial principles.

Is C++ of any use in non-tech roles? if it is are there any aspects of the language that are particularly pertinent in finance/financial modelling?

Finally any decent resources for C++ -> financial modelling for a total noob at finance with an engineering background?

Thanks.
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had kinda similar question about programming languages in finance. Posted it on WSO and got quite a few good responses and links to resources. Take a look at this thread:
http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/what-programming-languages-are-most-useful
It's weird seeing people from Tsr on WSO
tbh haven't seen it being used much, but i think vba/python are a bit more prominent
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
To echo what gr8wizard said, Python and VBA are the most used languages in finance. However, once you learn how one language works it becomes easier to learn another since you will understand the structure. However, python would probably be easier to learn as a first language anyway.
VBA, Excel are your keys in finance. C++ is more for quant roles.
Reply 6
@gr8wizard10 @Trapz99

What does python allow you to do that makes the job easier?

I had started C++ because it would be useful in the financial modelling aspects of my MSc, i'm assuming pythons the same?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Oilfreak1
@gr8wizard10 @Trapz99

I had started C++ because it would be useful in the financial modelling aspects of my MSc, i'm assuming pythons the same?

scripts.
Reply 8
Some exotics trading desks use C++ a fair amount, options desks also use it, but it's less common - it's very dependent on the skill-set of those on the desk as to which language is used.
@gr8wizard10 @Trapz99

I only use VBA and they're pretty good for running automated macros for tasks that you do regularly.. such as backing out variables from pricing formulas / pulling or sourcing information from Bloomberg or other software.. easy to use interface of relevant material your team might be using etc..
Reply 10
Original post by gr8wizard10
I only use VBA and they're pretty good for running automated macros for tasks that you do regularly.. such as backing out variables from pricing formulas / pulling or sourcing information from Bloomberg or other software.. easy to use interface of relevant material your team might be using etc..

How long would you say it takes to learn VBA? And would Python in general be a better shout than C++ then, for financial modelling etc?
I have around 5 months to learn.
Does anybody know good websites which will teach you how to code for free?

Is Code academy a credible site?
How long would you say it takes to learn VBA? And would Python in general be a better shout than C++ then, for financial modelling etc?
I have around 5 months to learn.

depends on how much time you put in.. took about 4-5 months for me to start using it fairly efficiently. personally I think VBA is pretty handy as I haven't had any experience with Python. it does the job
Original post by Aran2121
Does anybody know good websites which will teach you how to code for free?

Is Code academy a credible site?

literally YouTube guides for the absolute basics of the language and then play about with code yourself to see what you can produce.
Reply 15
Original post by gr8wizard10
depends on how much time you put in.. took about 4-5 months for me to start using it fairly efficiently. personally I think VBA is pretty handy as I haven't had any experience with Python. it does the job

Is there any point learning both VBA and Python? As far as I know Python can be used with excel with an add on. I'm leaning towards Python simply because I have everything downloaded for Python from a while ago, if VBA is flat out better in practice then I'll go for that.
You're better off learning MS Excel mate.
Original post by GoldmanSucks
You're better off learning MS Excel mate.

VBA is used in conjuction with Excel bud, not seperately.

Atleast in investment banking.
Reply 18
Original post by glebp

Is there any point in learning both VBA and Python for a role in finance or do both do the same thing (in the context of being an intern/junior analyst)
Original post by glebp

Everyone knows this already but thanks for your input.

Is there any point in learning both VBA and Python for a role in finance or do both do the same thing (in the context of being an intern/junior analyst)

Depends on what role you're going for. Sound knowledge of VBA would help alot in IBD, technology and, you'll be a star if you're in operations too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending