The Student Room Group

Anybody that has read Of Mice and Men and Macbethcare to help me please?

I have to complete a essay question on these two texts. The question is "Compare the ways Shakespeare and Steinbeck present and develop the idea of how weaknesses lead to broken dreams". Any insight on some examples of things I can comment on? I am aiming to.comment on 4 themes but need to comment on how the themes are presented. It would be really appreciated if somebody could help me out.
i'm not so sure about macbeth, but with of mice and men you talk about the destruction of the american dream, and how because Lennie has a weakness (being that he doesn't know his own strength - e.g. the killing of the mouse, puppy and curlers wife) it means that neither Lennie or George can achieve their dream of the house with the rabbits. That essentially is why George has to kill Lennie, because otherwise he will never achieve the american dream that he longs for.
Original post by ibte10
I have to complete a essay question on these two texts. The question is "Compare the ways Shakespeare and Steinbeck present and develop the idea of how weaknesses lead to broken dreams". Any insight on some examples of things I can comment on? I am aiming to.comment on 4 themes but need to comment on how the themes are presented. It would be really appreciated if somebody could help me out.

Macbeth's dream to be king... Literally the most obvious thing that there is. His weakness as a man could be explored how how he has to rely on women(the 3 witches and Lady Macbeth).

That's all I can think of... I don't think that question is right, far too ambiguous to match the two imo!
I've read both separately:

After Macbeth turns King, he loses it and can't handle the person he's become (for example he hallucinates showing his weak mental state). The reason he became King was because he killed the previous King. This was bad because... This showed weakness in his ambition because...

In Of Mice and Men, Geroge and Lennie travel together, but previously, they had been "ran outta weed" because of Lennie's incapabilities. This shows flawed ambition from the start because...

There, there's the start of your essay.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Macbeth's dream to be king... Literally the most obvious thing that there is. His weakness as a man could be explored how how he has to rely on women(the 3 witches and Lady Macbeth).

That's all I can think of... I don't think that question is right, far too ambiguous to match the two imo!

He doesn't rely on women...?

OP - I will answer this when I get home in like an hour but I've done both and am currently doing Macbeth in my last year of A-Level.
Original post by ivybridge

OP - I will answer this when I get home in like an hour but I've done both and am currently doing Macbeth in my last year of A-Level.

So he doesn't rely on the Witches prophecy or Lady Macbeth to handle the situation after his murdered the two fellas in the bed or whatever?

I don't understand how you can't say he doesn't? However, this is literature and all perspectives are read differently. To say he doesn't is quite unfathomable since Literature is objective.
So he doesn't rely on the Witches prophecy or Lady Macbeth to handle the situation after his murdered the two fellas in the bed or whatever?

I don't understand how you can't say he doesn't? However, this is literature and all perspectives are read differently. To say he doesn't is quite unfathomable since Literature is objective.

Don't get so butthurt? I put a question mark, indicating that I am unsure where you are getting it from.

I don't understand still - what do you mean he relies on the Witches and Lady Macbeth to 'deal with' what he's done after? He doesn't. Lady Macbeth goes insane - Macbeth says to her, "Be innocent of the knowledge, dearest chuck till thou applaud'st the deed." The whole point is Macbeth's mental state has pushed him to a point where he is "stepped in so deep that to return" is useless. Literature is actually subjective and debate and interpretation is OK, hence why I am disagreeing with you. I didn't say, "oh my god you're so wrong" I just don't believe he is reliant on the women; various lines of Macbeth's at the beginning before Lady Macbeth is introduced implies he has had these thoughts before the women even play a role! His soliloquy about "These supernatural solicitings" implies exactly this. All the Witches do is make it plausible - they draw it out of him. There are extreme limits on what the witches can do: "Though his bark cannot be lost, //Yet it shall be tempest tossed."
(edited 7 years ago)
Im too busy not caring.

Have a nice day.
Im too busy not caring.

Have a nice day.

Immaturity at its peak.

You too.
Ok love
Reply 10

Thanks- it would be really appreciated. What themes do you think that i should comment on for Macbeth? It should preferably be something that i can expand on and that is an example of how Shakespeare presented and developed the idea. I do need themes that are in both plays though.
Original post by ibte10
Thanks- it would be really appreciated. What themes do you think that i should comment on for Macbeth? It should preferably be something that i can expand on and that is an example of how Shakespeare presented and developed the idea. I do need themes that are in both plays though.

Hi, I am typing notes for you now - I will PM them to you.
Reply 12
Hi, I am typing notes for you now - I will PM them to you.

Thank you very much!
Make sure you understand the key themes

Quick Reply