The Student Room Group

Help with my English Language Coursework?!

We've just started our English Language investigation coursework and I'm completely stuck for ideas. I am quite interested in finding out if the power that parents hold over their children is lesser/more with teenagers compared to younger children but I'm unsure of how to start. I'm not sure how I'd gather data or find secondary research. is this topic doable?
I'm interested in investigating something to do with power or gender, so any other ideas are welcome :smile: :smile:
thank you
Original post by annaelizabethx
We've just started our English Language investigation coursework and I'm completely stuck for ideas. I am quite interested in finding out if the power that parents hold over their children is lesser/more with teenagers compared to younger children but I'm unsure of how to start. I'm not sure how I'd gather data or find secondary research. is this topic doable?
I'm interested in investigating something to do with power or gender, so any other ideas are welcome :smile: :smile:
thank you

We were told it's generally easier to do a topic based on written sources rather than spoken as it's a lot easier to gather data. For power and gender, someone in my class did a study of the language of female politicians, or you could maybe do something about the portrayal of different genders and/or power in children's books :smile:
Reply 2
For my language investigation, I did Language and Gender- analysing whether female and male discourse was becoming similar. Used transcripts from Celebrity chat shows and transcribed and analysed them.
Original post by annaelizabethx
thank you

Spoken language is by far way easier than written or blended mode. You can analyse almost anything in spoken whereas, written is quite difficult to analyse and not be too literary. For example, the analysis of books is a bit to literary for a linguistic research unless you are familiar with stylistics

My coursework was language and gender and this was my hypothesis:
Myhypothesis will intend to show how profanity and swearing defines gender inwhich it is spoken from how the pragmatism surrounding the profanity affectshow we interpret meaning from swear words in conversation between same-sex anddifferent sex conversations.
I got full marks, well nearly full marks.

If you want something like power and gender, you can look at the differences between maybe UK party election speeches or the US Presidency election speeches. You can pin Hilary Clinton to Donald Trump and whatever. You can investiage the way both genders use language to generate language of power (influence). You can also write about how the crowds react and use evidence such as news reports n see how they react too.

Other power things could be how swearing in conversation empowers the meaning of the whole sentence/topic. I did a section on this with aggressive and emphatic swearing.

I think power is a tricky one, but defo politicans will be a good one to go with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending