The Student Room Group

Cancelling an offer

I've been accepted unconditionally for a postgraduate course for September start and now I have 7-10 days to accept or cancel the offer. The thing is that I've also applied for other universities (also abroad) and I'm still waiting for an answer. There's also the possibilty that I receive a good job offer in the summer (though uncertain). What happens if I accept the offer, can I cancel it later on? I'm hoping to go somewhere other than the place I received the offer. I assume my other applications won't be canceled? (UK)

I just want to make sure that there won't be any legal effects by accepting and let's say cancelling after one or two months (like paying a penalty etc. :s-smilie:). I don't want to end up with nowhere :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
At postgraduate level you can accept the offer you've got now & withdraw later if need be, it happens all the time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks for your response. Alright, I'll accept the offer and cancel it if needed.
Be aware that you may be asked to pay a proportion of the fees as a deposit. Cancel the place - and you loose the deposit.
Reply 4
What I did was ask if u could extend the deadline. There were no problems :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by mytoast
I've been accepted unconditionally for a postgraduate course for September start and now I have 7-10 days to accept or cancel the offer. The thing is that I've also applied for other universities (also abroad) and I'm still waiting for an answer. There's also the possibilty that I receive a good job offer in the summer (though uncertain). What happens if I accept the offer, can I cancel it later on? I'm hoping to go somewhere other than the place I received the offer. I assume my other applications won't be canceled? (UK)

I just want to make sure that there won't be any legal effects by accepting and let's say cancelling after one or two months (like paying a penalty etc. :s-smilie:). I don't want to end up with nowhere :biggrin:

Hi! I am in the exact same position. I have been offered a place at a University, but I am still waiting to hear from another univ, where I would rather accept.
As far as I have understood I can accept now the first offer, and cancel it later ( if the other Univ gives me an Offer) without any issues?
I'd really appreciate your help.
cheers

E
Original post by Elisa-Betta
Hi! I am in the exact same position. I have been offered a place at a University, but I am still waiting to hear from another univ, where I would rather accept.
As far as I have understood I can accept now the first offer, and cancel it later ( if the other Univ gives me an Offer) without any issues?
I'd really appreciate your help.
cheers

E

It's quite standard to accept a postgrad place and cancel at a later date, when your options become clearer. If a university wants to stop you doing that and secure a 'yes' that means 'yes' then they ask for a non-refundable deposit.

Just bear in mind that once you have said 'yes', they stop offering that place, and if you then take months to say 'no', then another person may have missed out on the offer because of your tardiness.
Reply 7
Original post by mytoast

i'd take the risk tbh.if you're still waiting for the other unis but u have 7-10 day to accept i would take the risk as you could be waiting but then find out that no unis accepted except the first one.you would probably regret it or you can email or contact the universities a few day bfore to let you know and tell you them your problem.
Original post by threeportdrift
It's quite standard to accept a postgrad place and cancel at a later date, when your options become clearer. If a university wants to stop you doing that and secure a 'yes' that means 'yes' then they ask for a non-refundable deposit.

Just bear in mind that once you have said 'yes', they stop offering that place, and if you then take months to say 'no', then another person may have missed out on the offer because of your tardiness.

Ok thanks. What if, I inform ASAP ( couple of days) the University where I have accepted the offer that I am no longer interested, will my place be offered to anyone else? I would feel bad leaving an empty place that another student could have filled.
Original post by Elisa-Betta
Ok thanks. What if, I inform ASAP ( couple of days) the University where I have accepted the offer that I am no longer interested, will my place be offered to anyone else? I would feel bad leaving an empty place that another student could have filled.

If we are talking about UK institutions, if you reject the offer in the next few weeks, it will probably be re-offered. Admissions tend to take a 'whole cohort' approach rather than work at the individual place level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending