The Student Room Group

N5 English Exam is this Thursday :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Labrador99
Just being a bit nosey(I did N5 last year)...What was the RUAE about? What poem came up for the textual analysis on MacCaig?

The movie Frozen and the girl who played Elsa.

Dunno about MacCaig
Original post by Labrador99
Just being a bit nosey(I did N5 last year)...What was the RUAE about? What poem came up for the textual analysis on MacCaig?

RUAE was about Idina Menzel, Frozen and Disney.

And MacCaig was 'Sounds of the Day.'
Original post by A+Hunter
The movie Frozen and the girl who played Elsa.Dunno about MacCaig
Original post by scottishguyy
RUAE was about Idina Menzel, Frozen and Disney.And MacCaig was 'Sounds of the Day.'
Thanks:smile: 'Memorial' came up for higher- I was just interested if it was the same poem in both (like last year both higher and N5 were 'Visiting Hour' ). Hope it went well:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by scottishguyy
Well, I didn't find the close reading too bad, the contrast question was weird because, to me, there was no contrast, lmao.

Set text was okay, however, I referenced from another part of the story when it said reference from the extract for the eight marker.

The essay, I have no idea how that went. The question we had was so vague - drama, two - and I just threw everything relevant down on paper and walked the reader through the story with analysis.

I mean, I hope I did well and I don't have to rely too much on the folio to get that A.

I did the contrast between the tone of the two paragraphs, the first one was serious and the second was humorous.

I'm a bit worried about the second close reading question. I did a list but I'm not sure two things counts as a list! I originally did word choice for stratospheric but then I panicked thinking it was a metaphor and I didn't know if I would get the marks so I just left it.

The Scottish Text was terrible, couldn't get any worse than Sounds of the Day. I linked it with Aunt Julia but I'm not sure I'll get the marks, I did "marvellously" and said he had strong feelings of awe but I doubt they'll take that.

The essay couldn't have been better, I did the same quotes from the prelim and I got a really good mark for that.

I just hope my folio can make up for that horrendous Scottish Text, I don't have a clue how they mark folios though :s-smilie:
So glad English is over! Close reading was okay but the last 2 questions were the hardest! For the set text I was doing Iain critchon smith and the story was the painter! The essay questions were good though!
I am looking back now and I think the essay was fine the TA was not horrible and the close reading was ok so I am feeling more confident about an A
The thing is if loads of people found it easy will they not put the A mark up???
Reply 28
Original post by _katie123123_
The thing is if loads of people found it easy will they not put the A mark up???

yeah, maybe

my cousin said that, for his maths exam a few years ago, the pass mark was lowered to 34% or something, and everything else was adjusted like that too
iirc he said that the mark for an A was 50-something percent

I think so yes
Did anyone do Duffy for the TA?

If so what did you guys get for the 1st question?
Reply 31
Did anyone do Duffy for the TA?

If so what did you guys get for the 1st question?

what was the first question?
Original post by (bryn)
what was the first question?

Something like summarise 2 aspects of the journey that she could remember in lines 1-8
I completely messed up question 8 of the close reading.

I was so happy about Originally coming up. That one was the poem I wanted!

And I got the essay question I wanted too. I did question 3, the key moment one on 'Of Mice and Men'

I think I might get a B :smile:
How much would they put the A mark up to like 75/80%???? Better not be that high!
Original post by FourSeasons
I completely messed up question 8 of the close reading.

I was so happy about Originally coming up. That one was the poem I wanted!

And I got the essay question I wanted too. I did question 3, the key moment one on 'Of Mice and Men'

I think I might get a B :smile:

I messed up Q8 too but it was only worth 4 marks! X
Reply 36
Sounds of the Day was the set poem for MacCaig. I was NOT expecting that.

RUAE was an article about Idina Menzel and Frozen.
Reply 37
Something like summarise 2 aspects of the journey that she could remember in lines 1-8

i think i mentioned that the brothers were crying, and i said something about the car

originally was my weakest poem, but wasn't the "red room which fell through the fields" supposed to convey that she was a child, i.e. a car from the point of view of a child?
Did anyone else do Iain Crichton Smith for there TA?
How much would they put the A mark up to like 75/80%???? Better not be that high!

If they do that, I'm screwed :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending