The Student Room Group

What even is there to do with a psychology degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
An accredited Biomed degree can lead to a job directly within the field, but as with psychology, there are simply too many graduates per year for this path to be an 'automatic' one (like Med, Teaching, Vet Med etc). So, the vast majority of biomed grads will have to get work experience and look for other generalist careers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ummmm... I'm pretty sure Biomed is ONE of the most popular degree courses out there... lol... I personally think theres wayyyyyy more biomed grads than Psych grads
question what are some famous psychology graduates preferably British?

Also is it possible to do psychology and become in journalism/a freelance writer (out of interest...)
Original post by scrawlx101
question what are some famous psychology graduates preferably British?

Also is it possible to do psychology and become in journalism/a freelance writer (out of interest...)

Yes to the second Q.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes to the second Q.

Posted from TSR Mobile

is this from personal experience or just because the skills gained in a psychology degree are transferable? would I need work experience in the journalism industry to match other candidates to break in the industry.I think I want to be nearly every creative job in the world i swear...i just dont want to spend the time in a office destroying myself...#bigdreams
Original post by scrawlx101
is this from personal experience or just because the skills gained in a psychology degree are transferable? would I need work experience in the journalism industry to match other candidates to break in the industry.I think I want to be nearly every creative job in the world i swear...i just dont want to spend the time in a office destroying myself...#bigdreams

Ran a linkedin search.

Get some experience blogging/writing up pieces, make contacts in the industry and try to get work experience (which is tough because most outlets don't pay). Most people don't go into tbe field of their degree and most enployers don't require a specific degree. The world is your oyster for a career outwith the obvious exceptions - architect, engineer etc.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Hi, can I ask, did you go straight into a masters after you graduated? I need to take a year out to save money, and to be honest I've only just realised that I do actually want to do a masters.... Do you think a year out will effect my chances?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did you graduate with?

Hey,

I actually took a year out before doing my masters and was really glad I did. I would certainly recommend getting some experience within the field of mental health and really using that year to develop your practical skills, whether it is voluntary work or securing some paid support work. I actually went on the Graduate Mental Health Placement run by SLV and volunteered in a psychiatric facility in Sri Lanka for 3 months. When it came to securing my place on my masters, it was definitely this experience that they were most interested in, as not many other people could comment on mental health management in an entirely different cultural context.

I graduated with a 2:1 and it took me a while to decide on my masters. But if you can prove you have actively worked towards gaining experience in Psychology then it will work in your favour.
Ran a linkedin search.

Get some experience blogging/writing up pieces, make contacts in the industry and try to get work experience (which is tough because most outlets don't pay). Most people don't go into tbe field of their degree and most enployers don't require a specific degree. The world is your oyster for a career outwith the obvious exceptions - architect, engineer etc.

how did you find it on linkedin?
What even is there to do with a computer science degree?
Original post by RomanKing
What even is there to do with a computer science degree?

Srs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

huh?
huh?

There's loads of routes available with a CS degree! From technical, to quasi-technical, to finance, to general business, to research - all depends on your interests.
There's loads of routes available with a CS degree! From technical, to quasi-technical, to finance, to general business, to research - all depends on your interests.

How could I go with finance ?
How could I go with finance ?

Quant trading at a proprietary trading firm, quant hedge funds, sales&trading/structuring at an investment bank, investment banking (especially covering tech companies), equity research (again, covering tech companies), quant research, asset management etc..

Most of the IBs recruit via the internship --(convert)--> grad job offer schedule, but I think you'd be alright applying for prop shops/asset management firms in final year, not so much with the i-banks..

Could also just apply to normal finance grad schemes, i.e. the support function in large companies.

Basically, most finance schemes are pretty open to whichever degree you do (granted competition is fierce so you do need to have a lot of interest in the area) and some (i.e. prop shops, derivatives trading desks at banks) will value your CS knowledge very highly.

Worth a shot if you have genuine interest - given the number of firms out there you'll have some success if you prepare thoroughly for the application process which can be immensely difficult (especially at the prop shops where they will GRILL you on mental maths + probability).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quant trading at a proprietary trading firm, quant hedge funds, sales&trading/structuring at an investment bank, investment banking (especially covering tech companies), equity research (again, covering tech companies), quant research, asset management etc..

Most of the IBs recruit via the internship --(convert)--> grad job offer schedule, but I think you'd be alright applying for prop shops/asset management firms in final year, not so much with the i-banks..

Could also just apply to normal finance grad schemes, i.e. the support function in large companies.

Basically, most finance schemes are pretty open to whichever degree you do (granted competition is fierce so you do need to have a lot of interest in the area) and some (i.e. prop shops, derivatives trading desks at banks) will value your CS knowledge very highly.

Worth a shot if you have genuine interest - given the number of firms out there you'll have some success if you prepare thoroughly for the application process which can be immensely difficult (especially at the prop shops where they will GRILL you on mental maths + probability).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn daniel!

Thanks a lot.
Damn daniel!

Thanks a lot.

Lol that's so old

Quick Reply

Latest