The Student Room Group

My GCSE Options

Hey guys. I am going to be in yr 10 next year, so obviously this year I am choosing my GCSE options. Here are the GCSEs that I have to take:

Maths
English
Science (triple)
R.S

I also got three options so I picked:
History
French
Art & Design

What do you guys think? How will the subjects be and did you enjoy them? Were they hard? Do you think I made the right decision??

Original post by traumatizing
Hey guys. I am going to be in yr 10 next year, so obviously this year I am choosing my GCSE options. Here are the GCSEs that I have to take:

Maths
English
Science (triple)
R.S

History
French
Art & Design

What do you guys think? How will the subjects be and did you enjoy them? Were they hard? Do you think I made the right decision??

how come you only have 3 options I took 4
Reply 2
Original post by theBranicAc

Same for me, I had to pick Triple Science as an option though, otherwise we just did normal science.

Maths
English
Science (triple)
R.S

History
French
Art & Design

Well you are doing the new specification so people can't really talk about the exams having done them themselves however the subjects themselves are good subjects to choose with a wide variety and you will get your Ebacc :smile: These choices will leave almost all the doors open for the future which is important.
I never took Art & design so I can't judge that but I found French stressful (due to the unique way in which we took it) so I wouldn't judge it on that, particularly as languages have had some of the most significant changes in the new spec so will be totally different. The history I am really enjoying although it is a lot of about exam technique and memory of events etc. so you will have to make sure you take good notes as you go along.
Overall, a great set of options :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lemur14
Well you are doing the new specification so people can't really talk about the exams having done them themselves however the subjects themselves are good subjects to choose with a wide variety and you will get your Ebacc :smile: These choices will leave almost all the doors open for the future which is important.
I never took Art & design so I can't judge that but I found French stressful (due to the unique way in which we took it) so I wouldn't judge it on that, particularly as languages have had some of the most significant changes in the new spec so will be totally different. The history I am really enjoying although it is a lot of about exam technique and memory of events etc. so you will have to make sure you take good notes as you go along.
Overall, a great set of options :smile:

thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Elizzey
Same for me, I had to pick Triple Science as an option though, otherwise we just did normal science.

really? My school doesn't count triple science as an option. Instead, we start the course in year 9 to make up for it. :0
Reply 6
Original post by theBranicAc

I know lots of schools had 4 as well. Some even had 5!
Posted from TSR Mobile
It took art at gcse, and I will never regret it, it was such a good subject to take, i enjoyed so much, so hopefully you will to! I took history and French as well! They are both really good subjects so I'm sure you will be fine xx
Reply 8
Lesson I've learnt is to pick the subjects you enjoy!
That way things seem a bit less dull and less like work if you're enjoying it.
I recommend doing that for a-levels too (unless you want to become a doctor which requires particular subjects.)
hey,

the subjects you have taken will get you far and can lead to lots of different careers.

History, French, Triple Science, R.S is alot of written work and will be alot of revision thats why when i took my options i evened it out by doing catering and woodwork, although i do not need these subjects for my feature it will help me focus on two difficult subjects. personally i do believe that having history triple science and R.S it will be alot to revise. But if you work hard you can achieve a grade c+.
Reply 10
Original post by Elliescott
hey,

the subjects you have taken will get you far and can lead to lots of different careers.

History, French, Triple Science, R.S is alot of written work and will be alot of revision thats why when i took my options i evened it out by doing catering and woodwork, although i do not need these subjects for my feature it will help me focus on two difficult subjects. personally i do believe that having history triple science and R.S it will be alot to revise. But if you work hard you can achieve a grade c+.

thanks!
I have also just picked my gcse options, im in the same year as you. I'm obviously doing the same top 4 including triple science. Does anyone else find it annoying that RS/RE is compulsory? I've heard that in history requires lots of writing but you watch loads of clips, I study German at the moment and im not an arty person.however I love music so that is one of my options. Whatever you do, DO NOT PICK BUSINESS STUDDIES. I have heard terriible things about it including people trying to swap it with any other subject they can so...yeah good luck
Reply 12
Original post by Zappar_haha
I have also just picked my gcse options, im in the same year as you. I'm obviously doing the same top 4 including triple science. Does anyone else find it annoying that RS/RE is compulsory? I've heard that in history requires lots of writing but you watch loads of clips, I study German at the moment and im not an arty person.however I love music so that is one of my options. Whatever you do, DO NOT PICK BUSINESS STUDDIES. I have heard terriible things about it including people trying to swap it with any other subject they can so...yeah good luck

good luck to you too!! And no I definetly won't be taking business studies!
good luck to you too!! And no I definetly won't be taking business studies!

I take business, it's really not that bad! I find it quite easy but an easy subject is welcome to me. The subject is relatively well regarded in comparison to some but I guess it just depends on your school as to the teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest